• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun transfer?

GrubKiller

I was talking to a friend of mine about guns and he asked if i had a handgun i told him no he said he has one he will give me but i have a few questions about how to go about doing this. He said he wanted to have paperwork to prove he gave it to me im 18 i know its legal for me to own a handgun but he was talking about doing a transfer through a gunshop by his house but wouldnt that bring Federal laws into it and know a ffl can only sell handguns to people 21 or older so i was wondering what the best way to do it is.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If there is no state law requiring the sale to go through a FFL, then what your friend is looking for is probably a bill of sale. OCDO member, legal guru and attorney par excellance User has a sample bill of sale at his website http://virginialegaldefense.com/Stuff/Documents/PvtHandgunTransferBOS.PDF that he put there purposely for people to print out and use. One copy for your friend and one copy for you.

My additional recommendation is that signatures on both copies be in blue ink - that color cannot be easaily copied. Just an additiona; protection for both of you.

stay safe.

PS - Welcome to OCDO.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
He probably is not very informed of our gun laws. Most people think a gun is "REGISTERED" to whoever buys it from an FFL because of the background check conducted, but that is not true. In Ky, he knows you are a resident of this state, and are 18 or over, so all he has to do is hand you the gun and be done with it. If the FBI ever comes knocking on his door all he says is, " sold it," and there is not much they can do. However, that form would be easy to print out, and quick. Hell have him video the transaction if he is that worried. You have no need whatsoever to bring an FFL into this, it is a waste of money, and will dis-qualify you from your purchase.

09jisaac

You have no need whatsoever to bring an FFL into this, it is a waste of money, and will dis-qualify you from your purchase.

This bears repeating. FFLs in Kentucky don't do anything but sell guns (or whatever) they don't register a gun to you, for you, about you, nothing. AND where you have not reached the minimum age to purchase a handgun from an FFL it would be ILLEGAL for them to sell you one. You are of age (assuming you did not lie) to own a rifle/handgun but you cannot purchase it from an FFL.

GrubKiller

yea im 18 i just bought my first rifle last month and recently found out that oc and handgun ownership at 18 was legal in ky and was talking about buying a pistol and that's how it was brought up in our conversation in the first place but i will inform him later about the paperwork not being needed, and thanks for yalls help