• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky Navy Vet Wrestles Shotgun from Home Invader

neuroblades

A former naval officer returned to her Shepherdsville home with her two young children on a Sunday morning to find an intruder in her home pointing her own shotgun at her. Rather than submit to the home invasion, she grappled with the burglar for control of the gun, which ultimately went off and struck the burglar in the head. He later died of his wounds. Neighbors are praising the homeowner’s courage, with one saying she plans on seeking self-defense advice from her.

Source: USCCA

DrakeZ07

1) Good for her!
2) Don't mess with a mom protecting kids.
3) WTH was the shotgun doing not locked away?!?!?!

Link to a news article, please?

We have to keep our firearms locked up? Seems like too much to fiddle with in a moment of extreme danger when you have to defend yourself in your home if someone breaks in while your inside. Though I can see your point, if your away from home it would be a good idea to lock it up, but it would be a better idea to keep a sidearm on you at all times, whether or not your home firearms are locked away~ <3

flb_78

We have to keep our firearms locked up? Seems like too much to fiddle with in a moment of extreme danger when you have to defend yourself in your home if someone breaks in while your inside. Though I can see your point, if your away from home it would be a good idea to lock it up, but it would be a better idea to keep a sidearm on you at all times, whether or not your home firearms are locked away~ <3

Many states require that firearms are to be locked up when at the house.

Also, there are 2 small children in the house. They should not have access to a loaded shotty until they are of an age to understand and respect firearms.

09jisaac

They should not have access to a loaded shotty until they are of an age to understand and respect firearms.

I know of many gun cabinets with lockable doors (keep kids out) but with glass windows to display your firearms (easily broken). Also, maybe the weapon was out of reach where small children cannot get to or in between the mattress where small children cannot easily access.

I agree with you, I am just saying they MAY not have had access to the shotgun.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
And Kentucky is not a state that requires guns be locked up, regardless if you are home or not.

But of course it is just common sense, (you would think), to keep all guns where children can't access them. If there was two kids in the house, it is possible the gun was where they could not access them, we do not know from the story.