Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logistical Open Carry Question

Logistical Open Carry Question

What's up everybody. I was thinking about something today that I wanted to get other OCers opinion on.

How many of you carry your firearm and a knife? Now out of everyone that carries both...how exactly do you carry both? It seems that if you were to OC strong side...you would have your knife and your gun on the same side. Now I suppose you could carry at 2 or 4 o'clock instead of 3 o'clock...but I would imagine that carrying (open or concealed) at anything but 3 or 9 o'clock would be quite uncomfortable should you need to sit for an extended period of time.

I have thought about carrying crossdraw...but I don't like the idea of the extra time it would take to draw and acquire a target...plus all of my weapons retention training is all strong side away from the assailant.

I would love to hear from you folks. Thanks!

Herr Heckler Koch
    I OC 0300 Blackhawk SERPA SA 1911A1. I CC 0530 VersaCarry original H&K USPc .40. I carry Columbia River Knife Technology CRKT M16-Z1 in my right pocket. That knife has the most fantastic metal in the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    I OC 0300 Blackhawk SERPA SA 1911A1. I CC 0530 VersaCarry original H&K USPc .40. I carry Columbia River Knife Technology CRKT M16-Z1 in my right pocket. That knife has the most fantastic metal in the blade.
    Do you carry your firearm on the right side as well? I can see how concealed would work ok...but what I'm wondering is if you do OC on the right side along with your knife...how do you keep easy access to both?

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    Why the name-brands being thrown about? Do you get paid to promote those brands?

Getting back to the OP's question - I carry the handgun on my strong (right) side and my primary knife clipped in my weak (left) side front pants pocket. That way, if my strong-side hand/arm is otherwise engaged/disabled I can get to my knife with my weak hand. I am presently fiddling around with the notion of carrying the primary knife closer to midline to allow access by either hand. It seems to work for the guys who presented the notion, but they are of a different shape than I and thus do not cause the exposed part to stick out/forward.

Additional - not backup - blades are carried in such diverse places as jacket pockets, shirt pockets, and in the cellphone pouch some pants have built in. Those are generally the ones I use for cutting string/cord, opening boxes, making small pieces of meat out of a big piece, and spreading goodness on bread/crackers.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Why the name-brands being thrown about? Do you get paid to promote those brands?

Getting back to the OP's question - I carry the handgun on my strong (right) side and my primary knife clipped in my weak (left) side front pants pocket. That way, if my strong-side hand/arm is otherwise engaged/disabled I can get to my knife with my weak hand. I am presently fiddling around with the notion of carrying the primary knife closer to midline to allow access by either hand. It seems to work for the guys who presented the notion, but they are of a different shape than I and thus do not cause the exposed part to stick out/forward.

Additional - not backup - blades are carried in such diverse places as jacket pockets, shirt pockets, and in the cellphone pouch some pants have built in. Those are generally the ones I use for cutting string/cord, opening boxes, making small pieces of meat out of a big piece, and spreading goodness on bread/crackers.

stay safe.
    I guess I'll have to start training up my weak hand knife skills. Tactically I suppose it's probably not the best of ideas to have all of your weapons on one side either

I carry my Primary on right side hip. I carry my knife and spare mag in my left front pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by kanekutter05 View Post
    I guess I'll have to start training up my weak hand knife skills. Tactically I suppose it's probably not the best of ideas to have all of your weapons on one side either
    You bet.

My left is my strong side. Knife goes in right pocket or behind mag pouches on belt on weak side.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Last edited by oldbanger; 04-04-2012 at 02:47 PM.

I also carry a knife on my weak-side or under my shirt on a chain. As Skid mentioned, this allows me to place my strong hand on my gun to keep someone from trying to grab it while stabbing them with the knife in my weak hand.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I also carry a knife on my weak-side or under my shirt on a chain. As Skid mentioned, this allows me to place my strong hand on my gun to keep someone from trying to grab it while stabbing them with the knife in my weak hand.
    I carry a folding knife with a belt hook in my dominant side front jeans pocket. This allows me to open Otter Pops for my daughters.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Ah I didn't think about a neck knife...I've been wanting to get one of those anyways lol.

Ah I didn't think about a neck knife...I've been wanting to get one of those anyways lol.
    I like them because I can get to it pretty fast with either hand if things really go south.

I'm currently using this little guy.

"When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Howdy Pardner!
    Nice to see another Aurora citizen open carry in our fair town! Speaking of which, maybe another meet-up should happen soon. Think I'll work on that.

But I digress. It ain't that uncommon an occurance!

As to carrying a knife as a 'backup', I don't feel the need. If I can't get the job done with a .40 cal with 11 rounds, it is likely I wouldn't survive long enough to get to the knife regardless of where I carry it on my person. Then again, I routinely carry quite a plethora of defensive items: Pepper spray, stun gun, ASP baton, kubaton, etc. Then again, I've entered a field of work where such items might prove real handy to have when working. But once more, I digress.

I routinely carry crossdraw, and would wager I can draw and fire as fast as anybody, and with really terrific accuracy. When I do wear strongside, I'll wear a serpa and my draw is only a blink longer, if at all. Like anything else, crossdraw has many advantages, but requires some practice to do well.

The important thing to remember is... and I haven't see it mentioned in this thread... any knife you carry MUST BE no longer than 3" blade length. In addition, no mechanical deployment is permitted either. No switchblade, no spring launched blade, etc. Just carrying a knife that exceeds 3" blade length or one that deploys by mechanical means can get you in a whole bunch of trouble. Don't do it!

If you ever want to meet up for a cup of java, just let me know and we can accomplish that feat without much ado!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    I routinely carry crossdraw, and would wager I can draw and fire as fast as anybody, and with really terrific accuracy.
    Have you tested it? There was that fella who said he can draw and put two in a 9" round in half a second. I ain't that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy Pardner!
    Nice to see another Aurora citizen open carry in our fair town! Speaking of which, maybe another meet-up should happen soon. Think I'll work on that.

But I digress. It ain't that uncommon an occurance!

As to carrying a knife as a 'backup', I don't feel the need. If I can't get the job done with a .40 cal with 11 rounds, it is likely I wouldn't survive long enough to get to the knife regardless of where I carry it on my person. Then again, I routinely carry quite a plethora of defensive items: Pepper spray, stun gun, ASP baton, kubaton, etc. Then again, I've entered a field of work where such items might prove real handy to have when working. But once more, I digress.

I routinely carry crossdraw, and would wager I can draw and fire as fast as anybody, and with really terrific accuracy. When I do wear strongside, I'll wear a serpa and my draw is only a blink longer, if at all. Like anything else, crossdraw has many advantages, but requires some practice to do well.

The important thing to remember is... and I haven't see it mentioned in this thread... any knife you carry MUST BE no longer than 3" blade length. In addition, no mechanical deployment is permitted either. No switchblade, no spring launched blade, etc. Just carrying a knife that exceeds 3" blade length or one that deploys by mechanical means can get you in a whole bunch of trouble. Don't do it!

If you ever want to meet up for a cup of java, just let me know and we can accomplish that feat without much ado!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Is there an Aurora statute that preempts state law? It looks like the state law is 3.5"...but I do see that it prohibits assisted opening knives (boy am I glad that I JUST bought an assisted opener for my daily carry). Looks like I'm going to a neck knife sooner rather than later.

Also, if the blade is under the state maximum length...you are allowed to conceal it without a concealed carry permit correct?

And that would be great to meet up sometime!

It is my understanding also that the maximum blade length for concealment is 3.5". It is also my understanding that if the knife is worn openly the blade length limit does not apply.

Colorado Firearm law.
    Title 18, Article 12

Is there an Aurora statute that preempts state law? It looks like the state law is 3.5"...but I do see that it prohibits assisted opening knives (boy am I glad that I JUST bought an assisted opener for my daily carry).
    Can someone define "assisted opening"? Do thumb grips count?

Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    Can someone define "assisted opening"? Do thumb grips count?
    Here's the wording from Colorado Statute 18-12-101:

"18-12-101. Definitions.

(j) "Switchblade knife" means any knife, the blade of which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in its handle."

Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    Have you tested it? There was that fella who said he can draw and put two in a 9" round in half a second. I ain't that fast.
    Howdy Pard!
    You're right. I should have said "most anybody", but then again, didn't say everybody. There are always those peculiar exceptions to every rule. I don't think I could match that speed, but most folks would be pretty easy to beat for a variety of reasons; i.e. lots of folks don't practice speed draw and fire very often.

I want to throw a note of safety in there. When doing speed draw drills, please don't shoot yourself. Get snap caps and work with them a whole bunch before ever attempting draw and fire exercises with live ammo. It's one of them common sense things that I feel needs an emphasis.

Just out of curiosity, how many folks actually do practice draw and fire drills? Do you practice daily, weekly, monthly, a couple of times a year, or wonder what on earth we'd bother doing that for at all?

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    It is my understanding also that the maximum blade length for concealment is 3.5". It is also my understanding that if the knife is worn openly the blade length limit does not apply.
    So I can wear a sword?
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    so i can wear a sword?
    tmk.

I carry a Shrade pocket knife...does that count?

So I can wear a sword?
    As far as I can tell the answer is yes as far as state law is concerned.

I've been looking for other code dealing with it but haven't found any yet. Have you looked for any?

Colorado Firearm law.
    Title 18, Article 12

So I can wear a sword?
    Spoke with a Park County Deputy several years ago that used to get complaints of a teenage girl who wore one strapped across her back all the time. they kept contacting her, but she was never doing anything with it besides just carrying... they eventually came to accept her. (not sure the neighbors ever did, but that's another story, I'm sure)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast