• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Educated a young lady at a buffet....

Murphy

And was also shocked a bit by what she said....

So my lady and I went to eat at a buffet here in Indy.
The owners know me by sight because I OC/CC and my Desert Storm Veteran hat, plus I always tip and shake hands and talk with them.
Very good people and good food, well appreciated.

So while my lady and I were eating, the hostess (a young girl in her early 20's), walks up to the table.
"Excuse me sir, can I ask you question, and please don't take it personal." She said.
I smiled and said "That's okay...lots of people ask me why I'm not a Colts fan..."
She laughed, and it relaxed her.
"Go ahead." I told her. I knew it was coming.
She says "I see that you are carrying a gun."
I nod. "You see well."
"When I saw you come in the door, I asked the manager if you could do that, and he said "yes", because you are a veteran. I was wondering if that was true."
I took a sip of my tea, and smiled and said "Yes and No. I can do it because I'm a veteran, but I can ALSO do it because of the 2nd Amendment and Indiana Law."
The girl looked at me. "The what?"
I said "Indiana Law."
She said "No..the other thing."
I glanced over at my lady. "You mean the 2nd Amendment?"
"Yeah. What's that?" She says.
I look at her closely, thinking she's joking. "You mean to tell me...that you have NEVER heard of the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution?"
She shook her head in a "no" fashion.

So I took a moment and explained it and Indiana law to her, showing her my LTC card, and explaining to her the basic laws of Indiana.
She said "So I can fill out the paperwork and then legally carry a gun with me also?"
I nodded. "As long as you follow the laws and aren't prohibited from carrying."
"I didn't know that." She said.
"Yeah. Lots of people don't know about it. Lots of politicians like it that way also."
I ended up giving her the open carry website addy on a piece of paper and told her to check this site out and feel free to ask questions.

So I educated a young 20 something lady on her rights as a US citizens, Indiana citizen, and on the Constitution.

It felt good...

Then I went back for sushi...

griffin

Great story except for the whole "NEVER heard of the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution?" thing. What are (or aren't) we teaching our young people?

Good encounter. Another one educated.
thumbsup.gif

cce1302

My wife runs a tutoring program in Indy. I'm not surprised at the comments of the young lady.

You did well in your response to her and perhaps as PPM said, she will become curious about guns enough to study and understand what firearms mean to US citizens.

ManInBlack

I glanced over at my lady. "You mean the 2nd Amendment?"
"Yeah. What's that?" She says.
I look at her closely, thinking she's joking. "You mean to tell me...that you have NEVER heard of the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution?"
She shook her head in a "no" fashion.

I see that the government mind laundries are functioning exactly as intended.

Good story. There's actually a buffet I really enjoy here in Boise, but I have never felt very comfortable with OC in that setting. Both of my hands are usually full/occupied when I'm dishing up my food, and since I'm often bent over, I feel like the grip of my weapon would be just too easy to grab, and I wouldn't be able to respond as effectively or quickly as I normally would. I know, I know; gun grabs are so rare as to be statistically insignificant, but it is something I think about.

Carry on, though!

Contrarian

2A ignorance

Great story except for the whole "NEVER heard of the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution?" thing. What are (or aren't) we teaching our young people?

Good encounter. Another one educated.
thumbsup.gif

Many years ago (10 +) I attended a 'How to invest when you retire' kinda program at a local middle school...during a break midway through the first class I saw a civics textbook on the rack under the desk in front of me: I looked up the 'Constitution and It's Amendments' chapter.
They Listed the First Amendment, explained that it covered the right to free speech and religion.
The Third Amendment covers Protection from housing soldiers in your home.
The Fourth Amendment tells us about your right to privacy...

And absolutely no mention of the Second Amendment. None. Nowhere to be found.

My granddaughter goes to a private school - I think I'll go nosing around.

xmanhockey7

Many years ago (10 +) I attended a 'How to invest when you retire' kinda program at a local middle school...during a break midway through the first class I saw a civics textbook on the rack under the desk in front of me: I looked up the 'Constitution and It's Amendments' chapter.
They Listed the First Amendment, explained that it covered the right to free speech and religion.

I remember being in the 3rd grade and my teaching talking about the amendments. She mentioned the first and how it was about free speech and such. Then she got to the 2nd and said how it gave people the right to own guns. She didn't cover it other than that but I don't think she covered any for much longer. I distinctly remember thinking it was weird that the right to own guns would be in the constitution! Granted I grew up in a home where we owned no real firearms. I had cap guns and other toy guns but that was it. My dad is a bit of an anti but still recognizes that the 2A is a right of people, my mom on the other hand is very pro-gun.

noname762

Wow that's JUST PLAIN SCARY to me. Makes me mad as the dickens too!!! Just another good reason for me to think of every time a school levy comes up whining for more tax money. I've voted AGAINST every single School Levy all my life for reasons just like that.
My sisters kids went to a real good private school from around 3rd or 4th grade on. The reason?? She didn't care for some of the things they were learning either on the playground or in the classroom. She did real good by them doing that too. I am a firm believer in Private Schools and Home Schooling.

You're one Hell of a guy Murphy. Too bad you don't live on my street. I wish you did tho.

SigSauer226

I'm a little offended by her ignorance. I am 20, and have been OCing for a over a year. I can't imagine not knowing what our Constitution says. It's really sad that there are people out there like that. I blame the schools.

xmanhockey7

I'm a little offended by her ignorance. I am 20, and have been OCing for a over a year. I can't imagine not knowing what our Constitution says. It's really sad that there are people out there like that. I blame the schools.

To be completely honest I could not tell you every amendment and know what it means (off the top of my head). I do know the Bill of Rights thogh.

vermonter

She said "So I can fill out the paperwork and then legally carry a gun with me also?"
I nodded. "As long as you follow the laws and aren't prohibited from carrying."

I sincerely hope you suggested she gets formal training....

jdholmes

Has anyone considered that she isn't a US citizen or at least wasn't born a US citizen and so didn't grow up knowing about the constitution.

And FYI to the OP and somebody else that made mention about educating on the rights of a US citizen - that is a bit of an erred statement. You educated her on her right as a resident of the human being in the United States.

Aliens and Permanent Residents also have the right to arm themselves/ourselves (I'm a permanent resident from Canada).

Good job though! And thanks for carrying with a smile - representing the community well.

Last edited: