Thread: Traveling thru Reservation with handgun

Traveling thru Reservation with handgun

I watched a program the other night on Nat Geo entitled Navajo Cops. A non indian was stopped for speeding, I think, and he had a loaded handgun on the front seat. He was asked where he got it and could not produce any proof of ownership. The gun was confiscated and was going to be held in evidence untill he could prove ownership. I bought one of my guns in the late '70's from a store no longer in business and I sure as heck do not have my reciept. I will be traveling down the same highway that he was on, good ol' 666. Yeah I know they re-numbered it but it is still the same road. What would YOU do?

Herr Heckler Koch

Navajo Nation Department of Fish and Wildlife

http://www.nndfw.org/2011_12proclamation.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by NNDFW
    IT IS UNLAWFUL TO POSSESS A FIREARM WITH LIVE AMMUNITION IN THE FIRING CHAMBER IN OR ON ANY MOTOR VEHICLE.
    Their all caps.

The Firearms Owners Protection Act FOPA, codified is 18 USC 926A covers all states and their political subdivisions.

The Navajo Nation Code is copyright and closely held.
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 04-04-2012 at 05:54 PM.

I am aware of the fact that it must not be loaded, I am more concerned about proof of ownership such as a sales receipt. Trust me, I have no intention of breaking their laws, speeding or any other law. Who keeps receipts for 35 years.
    Last edited by elebuttfish; 04-04-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

My personal opinion is that the situation in that episode is a fluff piece for TV to show the Navajo cop doing something official. I do not think it is realistic at all.

According to everything I have heard or know of, if you stay on the main roads through the pueblos and reservations and keep the guns in your vehicle, you should be ok. There are too many main roads through these areas to expect people to go around unarmed all the time on their ways from place to place in this state.

I have been thru the different reservations many times and always kept to myself and never encountered a problem. I am sure you are correct about the nature of the show.