• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling thru Reservation with handgun

elebuttfish

I watched a program the other night on Nat Geo entitled Navajo Cops. A non indian was stopped for speeding, I think, and he had a loaded handgun on the front seat. He was asked where he got it and could not produce any proof of ownership. The gun was confiscated and was going to be held in evidence untill he could prove ownership. I bought one of my guns in the late '70's from a store no longer in business and I sure as heck do not have my reciept. I will be traveling down the same highway that he was on, good ol' 666. Yeah I know they re-numbered it but it is still the same road. What would YOU do?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Navajo Nation Department of Fish and Wildlife

http://www.nndfw.org/2011_12proclamation.pdf
NNDFW said:
IT IS UNLAWFUL TO POSSESS A FIREARM WITH LIVE AMMUNITION IN THE FIRING CHAMBER IN OR ON ANY MOTOR VEHICLE.
Their all caps.

The Firearms Owners Protection Act FOPA, codified is 18 USC 926A covers all states and their political subdivisions.

The Navajo Nation Code is copyright and closely held.

Last edited:

elebuttfish

I am aware of the fact that it must not be loaded, I am more concerned about proof of ownership such as a sales receipt. Trust me, I have no intention of breaking their laws, speeding or any other law. Who keeps receipts for 35 years.

Last edited:

AH.74

My personal opinion is that the situation in that episode is a fluff piece for TV to show the Navajo cop doing something official. I do not think it is realistic at all.

According to everything I have heard or know of, if you stay on the main roads through the pueblos and reservations and keep the guns in your vehicle, you should be ok. There are too many main roads through these areas to expect people to go around unarmed all the time on their ways from place to place in this state.