• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock Rear Sights

MainelyGlock

I have read that in a self defense situation where fast target acquisition is needed, it is much easier to line up your sights using only the front sights. I've been told that (and have read) that revolvers are especially useful, because they typically only have a bright (orange/red/yellow) front sight. So, with my Glock 22, I would like to remove the rear sights. I've seen some people simply paint over the dots, but I have Trijicon night sites and would rather not ruin them. If I use a sight pusher to remove the rear sight, is there anything I can use to fill in the space? Like a flat filler? I'd like to try shooting with just my front sight for a bit to see how it works. Haven't seen anything close to what I'm looking for on the internet so far. Thanks!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Interesting thought. I would be interested to see how your experiment goes. Although, I think that guns have both front and rear sights for a reason, and both sights have been used together for hundreds of years.

As for filling in the void, I'm sure someone could make a tight-fitting plastic insert for you if you look around. You might evan be able to make one yourself.

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

I've been doing some more searching, and it seems that the fixed sights that come standard on new Glocks are very cheap online. I may just buy a set and butcher it (or file it down) until it's even with the slide. I absolutely HATE the cheap plastic sights they come with.

I really don't mind having both, and I agree that they wouldn't be there if there wasn't a reason. Maybe if I had some of those bright red/yellow fiber optic sights it would be easier and I wouldn't need to rely solely on my front sight?

Using only that is definitely something I'm going to try in the next few weeks. If anyone who stumbles across this thread has any experience in shooting with only the front sight, please let me know on here!

223to45

Why would you want to remove the front sight?? You can focus just fine on the front sight with it there.

You talk about lining up your sights, how are going to do that with one sight??

MainelyGlock

Why would you want to remove the front sight?? You can focus just fine on the front sight with it there.

I already said why I want to. I've been told that in high-stress situations, including self-defense shootings, that it is much easier to acquire your target when your pistol only has a front sight like many revolvers do. So, I would like to test it out with my Glock 22.

When I mentioned "lining up my sights", what I meant was lining up the front sight with a target.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Yes, you will have established a line from your front sight to the target. Which way will the gun be pointing, the line usually established by the front AND rear sight?

Yard Sale

I have read that in a self defense situation where fast target acquisition is needed, it is much easier to line up your sights using only the front sights.
Don't believe everything you read. There's only one front sight. You can focus on it alone, or you focus on it with the rear sight out of focus to help point the gun on target.

If I use a sight pusher to remove the rear sight, is there anything I can use to fill in the space?
If you want to remove the rear sight and shoot front sight only, you don't need to fill in the dovetail with anything.

I'd like to try shooting with just my front sight for a bit to see how it works.
I suggest focusing on your front and ignoring the rear, rather than removing it. If it has distractions like dots or an outline, use a black Sharpie, which comes off with Hoppes or brake cleaner. You can also turn a distracting sight around backwards to make it plain black.

952073078_bM7DP-L.jpg

That's what I do on my Grocks. No distractions for point shooting or front-sight-only shooting at close range but maintains the ability to line up an accureate shot at longer range. Works fine with a Trijicon night sight or a serrated black target sight.

MainelyGlock

Don't believe everything you read. There's only one front sight. You can focus on it alone, or you focus on it with the rear sight out of focus to help point the gun on target.

If you want to remove the rear sight and shoot front sight only, you don't need to fill in the dovetail with anything.

I suggest focusing on your front and ignoring the rear, rather than removing it. If it has distractions like dots or an outline, use a black Sharpie, which comes off with Hoppes or brake cleaner. You can also turn a distracting sight around backwards to make it plain black.

952073078_bM7DP-L.jpg

That's what I do on my Grocks. No distractions for point shooting or front-sight-only shooting at close range but maintains the ability to line up an accureate shot at longer range. Works fine with a Trijicon night sight or a serrated black target sight.

Like I mentioned above, I have Trijicon sights that I'd rather not black out or mark in any way. Never thought about turning them around though! I'll try it this weekend and see how it works. Thanks!

Gil223

I have read that in a self defense situation where fast target acquisition is needed, it is much easier to line up your sights using only the front sights. I've been told that (and have read) that revolvers are especially useful, because they typically only have a bright (orange/red/yellow) front sight.

I suppose you should be commended on your adventuresome spirit, yet I agree with several other posters that there is a reason they come with front and rear sights. I have a (what I call) "toxic waste green" Hi-Viz front sight on my G26, and it jumps right out at me for quick target acquisition - if I don't have the time to align my sights the way they were designed to be used, or breathe properly, or squeeze instead of pull. I'd say "Do your experiment, but don't do anything that can't be easily and inexpensively corrected". Pax... :)

P.S. I have owned - and still own - many revolvers, none of which came with only a "bright (orange/red/yellow) front sight".

Last edited:

WOD

Weird, I just PM'd SpyderTattoo on a G 21 sight issue I have, then stumbled on this thread. I'm looking into replacing the OEM sights, and I was looking at the Tritium sights on the Glockstore.com page.

I also saw a YouTube video suggesting that front sight acquisition first, was essential to faster targeting. Which actually makes sense, since it's easier to adjust the hands laterally while keeping sight picture with the front sight. Rear sights are predominantly larger than the front sight, so finding the smaller front sight then locking the rear sight into place second, made sense to me. After watching the video, I tried that method, and it just felt smoother. Which was what made me consider changing sights, because I couldn't find the front sight in the darkness quickly.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Just get a different set of sights that allows more light to come in around the front post and through the rear notch. I did this with my gen3 G19 and they work fine. I used Warren Tactical night sights with the single small rear lamp in the center below the bottom of the notch and a brighter lamp in the front sight.

MainelyGlock

Thanks all. I'll definitely look into new sights as an alternative. I practiced drawing/aiming from my Serpa with the rear sights blacked out last night in the dark, and it really doesn't work as well as I was told, or read.