Thread: Knoxville Open Carry Results

Knoxville Open Carry Results

Okay gentlemen, I'll start by saying this is my first post on this site. I recently attained my TN handgun permit and after frequenting and studying many sites and debates about open vs. concealed carry I decided I would experiment for myself. The weapon I carry is the Sig SP2022, rather large for a CC weapon as I prefer duty size, but I digress. I decided the best place to experiment with how OC would go over would be dowtown around Market Square area as it is usually crawling with pedestrians and LEO activity. So this Saturday I geared up and headed out with the family around noon. I must say that while I expected a few looks considering this is likely the most "left wing" area in town, I was pleasantly surprised; no one even seemed to notice much less say anything, one man with his family even offered to take a picture for us. I passed literally hundreds of pedestrians and some where in the order of 20-25 LEOs without an issue. The only thing I noticed was one Motorcycle Officer leaned over to his buddy and said something to the extent of "Man I'd go to work for free if that guy would (vroom vroom) so I could (vroom).", not that there is any evidence he was talking about me but nevertheless I was suspicious. There are a few things that may have affected this such as I am military so I have a clean fade and a general LE look, and I had a small child so it's likely that holding an 18 month old takes the sting out of seeing a side arm. Overall it was a pleasant experience an I doubt I will be given much grief for OCing in Knoxville in the future. Hope you enjoyed the read gents.
    Last edited by The GrimRooster; 04-04-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The GrimRooster View Post
    Okay gentlemen, I'll start by saying this is my first post on this site. I recently attained my TN handgun permit and after frequenting and studying many sites and debates about open vs. concealed carry I decided I would experiment for myself. The weapon I carry is the Sig SP2022, rather large for a CC weapon as I prefer duty size, but I digress. I decided the best place to experiment with how OC would go over would be dowtown around Market Square area as it is usually crawling with pedestrians and LEO activity. So this Saturday I geared up and headed out with the family around noon. I must say that while I expected a few looks considering this is likely the most "left wing" area in town, I was pleasantly surprised; no one even seemed to notice much less say anything, one man with his family even offered to take a picture for us. I passed literally hundreds of pedestrians and some where in the order of 20-25 LEOs without an issue. The only thing I noticed was one Motorcycle Officer leaned over to his buddy and said something to the extent of "Man I'd go to work for free if that guy would (vroom vroom) so I could (vroom).", not that there is any evidence he was talking about me but nevertheless I was suspicious. There are a few things that may have affected this such as I am military so I have a clean fade and a general LE look, and I had a small child so it's likely that holding an 18 month old takes the sting out of seeing a side arm. Overall it was a pleasant experience an I doubt I will be given much grief for OCing in Knoxville in the future. Hope you enjoyed the read gents.
    That's awesome to hear. Glad your first time went well for you. I have the SP2022 as well. What caliber is yours? Just curious. Mine is the .40 S&W. I love it. One of the best handguns I ever owned/shot.

I'm ashamed that you beat me out to Market Square! I have been wanting to "test the waters" as you did, but UTK likes to disarm me during the week. Congratulations on a successful "non-event" and perhaps you will bump into me carrying.
    Last edited by ppardue1; 04-04-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SigGuy23 View Post
    That's awesome to hear. Glad your first time went well for you. I have the SP2022 as well. What caliber is yours? Just curious. Mine is the .40 S&W. I love it. One of the best handguns I ever owned/shot.
    The one I have is 9mm, I know there is a lot of "9 haters" out there but I like having the higher capacity. I dont know if anyone out there is using this but after extensive testing I settled on the Winchester Ranger T-Series (SXT) +P, google it... you wont be dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by ppardue1 View Post
    I'm ashamed that you beat me out to Market Square! I have been wanting to "test the waters" as you did, but UTK likes to disarm me during the week. Congratulations on a successful "non-event" and perhaps you will bump into me carrying.
    Sounds good, if I see someone else OCing in KVille I'll just assume its you as I haven't seen anyone else since I've moved here (3 years ago).

Fellow Knoxvillian here, and also my first post on opencarry.org. Just applied and was fingerprinted for the TN handgun carry permit Thursday morning. So, it should be in the mail shortly. After much deliberation as well I've decided to carry openly. I feel that presenting a hard target to a would be attacker, etc. is a better option than being able to conceal my sidearm. I also think the general populace of Knoxville is okay with open carry, after seeing a relative openly carry many times when I was younger. Glad it went well for you. Hope to see you around town.

Welcome to the group guys. Though I now live in the metro Atlanta area, I was born at Ft Sanders and grew up in Fountain City. I have an Aunt still living in Halls and visit as often as I can. The area has changed a LOT over the years. Be careful and be safe.

If you see a guy on a white Honda GoldWing with GA plates, it might just be me at whom that you're waving.
    Last edited by babarock; 04-08-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Cool

I am also a resident of Knoxville and a new member of the forum. I made my first post yesterday under the TN open carry report thread. I have had my THCP for a little over six years, and have been OCing off and on for about 6 months in and around K'town. I have been OCing for as long as I have had a permit in MO while hunting and visiting family. I am trying to OC more often, but work makes that difficult. Glad to be a member of the forum and thanks to all those who have posed or answered questions for the benefit of all!