• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in a police station

Tmist

The IDPA club in my area has its annual meetings during the winter in a police station can I carry with my LTCH into a police station

griffin

Wow, a real man does. I would add more, but I have miles to go before I sleep and miles to go before I sleep.
Okay, I have actually quoted Frost on occasion. And maybe "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure-dome decree: Where Alph, the sacred river, ran through caverns measureless to man down to a sunless sea."

Not to mention:

I hear an army charging upon the land,
And the thunder of horses plunging, foam about their knees:
Arrogant, in black armour, behind them stand,
Disdaining the reins, with fluttering whips, the charioteers.

They cry unto the night their battle-name:
I moan in sleep when I hear afar their whirling laughter.
They cleave the gloom of dreams, a blinding flame,
Clanging, clanging upon the heart as upon an anvil.

They come shaking in triumph their long, green hair:
They come out of the sea and run shouting by the shore.
My heart, have you no wisdom thus to despair?
My love, my love, my love, why have you left me alone?

But that's all!

toetap.gif

Last edited:

cce1302

Tennyson-Charge of the Light Brigade

Half a league half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred:
'Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the guns' he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

'Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd ?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do & die,
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd & thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack & Russian
Reel'd from the sabre-stroke,
Shatter'd & sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
While horse & hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death,
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wonder'd.
Honour the charge they made!
Honour the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred!

/threadjack

Ok about that police station... ;)

GONZO!!!

One of my personal favorites:

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
and the world makes you king for a day
just go to a mirror and take a look at yourself
and see what that man has to say

for its not your mother or father or wife
whose judgement upon you must pass
but the man whose verdict counts most in your life
is the man staring back from the glass

Now you may think you're Jack Horner and chisel a plum
and think you're a wonderful guy
but the man in the glass says you're only a bum
if you can't look him straight in the eye

For he's the one to please, never mind all the rest
for he's with you clear up to the end
and you've passed your most dangerous and difficult test
if the man in the glass is your friend

so you can fool all the world in your struggle for self
and even get pats on the back as you pass
but your final reward will be heartache and tears
if you've cheated the man in the glass.

Tmist

Hijacked into a poem thread ? Ok love this forum it's kinda like my ex wife ya never know what's coming next . Thanks for the advice though I am not sure it's worth the trouble the first night concidering I am trying to get a sponsor do I can join !

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vt0b25

aadvark

Tmist:

Pursuant to Indiana Law, You would be Fully within Your Rights to Openly Carry ANY Firearm of Your Choice in ANY Police Station ANYWHERE in Indiana, however; if You had a Handgun, then, You would also need a License to Carry a Handgun.

Even if The Police Station were to Qualify as a Secure Government Building under 35-47-11.1-4(13), by Following ALL Provisions as are Applicable under that Code Section, The Police Station would STILL have to Allow Handguns to be brought inside The Building for Persons who have a Indiana License to Carry a Handgun.

aadvark

Last edited:

noname762

Tmist:

Pursuant to Indiana Law, You would be Fully within Your Rights to Openly Carry ANY Firearm of Your Chocie in ANY Police Station ANYWHERE in Indiana, however; if You had a Handgun, then, You would also need a License to Carry a Handgun.

Even if The Police Station were to Qualify as a Secure Government Building under 35-47-11.1-4(13), by Following ALL Provisions as are Applicable under that Exception, The Police Station would STILL have to Allow Handguns to be brought inside The Building for Persons who have a Indiana License to Carry a Handgun.

aadvark

Interesting.....veddy interesting. I live in WA state in a small town which happens to be the county seat. Very near the doors to my towns police station is a sign denying CCW holders to bring firearms into the station.

aadvark

noname762 and Tmist:

noname762: Washington State ALLOWS Firearms in Police Stations, in other than The Restricted Access Areas of such Facility, as There are NO Laws against Carrying a Firearm in Unsecure Areas of a Police Station under Washington Revised Code 9.41.290 OR 9.41.300! There Additional are Exceptions under Washington State Law 9.41.300(8) AND 9.41.300(9)!

Tmist: Indiana Law Allows Firearms in Police Stations as of July. 1, 2011, Pursuant to Senate Bill 292!

aadvark

Last edited:

cce1302

noname762 and Tmist:

noname762: Washington State ALLOWS Firearms in Police Stations, in other than The Restricted Access Areas of such Facility, as There are NO Laws against Carrying a Firearm in Unsecure Areas of a Police Station under Washington Revised Code 9.41.290 OR 9.41.300! There Additional are Exceptions under Washington State Law 9.41.300(8) AND 9.41.300(9)!

Tmist: Indiana Law Allows Firearms in Police Stations as of July. 1, 2011, Pursuant to Senate Bill 292!

aadvark

Better be careful giving advice on the basis of Indiana law. Local governments/police departments may be permitted to prohibit firearms in/on their property.

noname-better check with the Washington page for advice on your state and local laws and regulations. There's probably someone there who is more familiar with it than us hoosiers.

Timjoebillybob

Tmist:

Pursuant to Indiana Law, You would be Fully within Your Rights to Openly Carry ANY Firearm of Your Choice in ANY Police Station ANYWHERE in Indiana, however; if You had a Handgun, then, You would also need a License to Carry a Handgun.

Even if The Police Station were to Qualify as a Secure Government Building under 35-47-11.1-4(13), by Following ALL Provisions as are Applicable under that Code Section, The Police Station would STILL have to Allow Handguns to be brought inside The Building for Persons who have a Indiana License to Carry a Handgun.

aadvark

Not necessarily, it could in fact be a felony to do so. Under the trafficking with a inmate law.
IC 35-44-3-9
Trafficking with an inmate or child
Sec. 9. (a) As used in this section, "juvenile facility" means the following:
(1) A secure facility (as defined in IC 31-9-2-114) in which a child is detained under IC 31 or used for a child awaiting adjudication or adjudicated under IC 31 as a child in need of services or a delinquent child.
(2) A shelter care facility (as defined in IC 31-9-2-117) in which a child is detained under IC 31 or used for a child awaiting adjudication or adjudicated under IC 31 as a child in need of services or a delinquent child.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (d), a person who, without the prior authorization of the person in charge of a penal facility or juvenile facility knowingly or intentionally:
(1) delivers, or carries into the penal facility or juvenile facility

with intent to deliver, an article to an inmate or child of the facility;
(2) carries, or receives with intent to carry out of the penal facility or juvenile facility, an article from an inmate or child of the facility;
(3) delivers, or carries to a worksite with the intent to deliver, alcoholic beverages to an inmate or child of a jail work crew or community work crew; or
(4) possesses in or carries into a penal facility or a juvenile facility:
(A) a controlled substance; or
(B) a deadly weapon;
commits trafficking with an inmate, a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) If the person who committed the offense under subsection (b) is an employee of:
(1) the department of correction; or
(2) a penal facility;
and the article is a cigarette or tobacco product (as defined in IC 6-7-2-5), the court shall impose a mandatory five thousand dollar ($5,000) fine under IC 35-50-3-2, in addition to any term of imprisonment imposed under IC 35-50-3-2.
(d) The offense under subsection (b) is a Class C felony if the article is:
(1) a controlled substance;
(2) a deadly weapon; or
(3) a cellular telephone or other wireless or cellular communications device.
As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.4. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.67; Acts 1981, P.L.300, SEC.2; P.L.223-1996, SEC.1; P.L.183-1999, SEC.2; P.L.243-1999, SEC.2; P.L.30-2004, SEC.1; P.L.128-2009, SEC.2.

See number 4 simply possessing a firearm in a secure facility is all that is needed, no need to prove intent. And for the legal definition of penal facility in IN here it is.
IC 35-41-1-21
"Penal facility"
Sec. 21. "Penal facility" means state prison, correctional facility, county jail, penitentiary, house of correction, or any other facility for confinement of persons under sentence, or awaiting trial or sentence, for offenses. The term includes a correctional facility constructed under IC 4-13.5.

Any police station that has a cell would fall under this. Heck any station that has a chair that they sit people in while being booked before being shipped to an actual jail could fall under this with the right (or wrong) prosecutor.

There is a lawyer in IN who is very pro-gun who discussed this, his name is Guy Relford, he has almost 30 years of experience in the law and focuses on firearm related law.

cce1302

Not necessarily, it could in fact be a felony to do so. Under the trafficking with a inmate law.
IC 35-44-3-9
Trafficking with an inmate or child
Sec. 9. (a) As used in this section, "juvenile facility" means the following:
(1) A secure facility (as defined in IC 31-9-2-114) in which a child is detained under IC 31 or used for a child awaiting adjudication or adjudicated under IC 31 as a child in need of services or a delinquent child.
(2) A shelter care facility (as defined in IC 31-9-2-117) in which a child is detained under IC 31 or used for a child awaiting adjudication or adjudicated under IC 31 as a child in need of services or a delinquent child.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (d), a person who, without the prior authorization of the person in charge of a penal facility or juvenile facility knowingly or intentionally:
(1) delivers, or carries into the penal facility or juvenile facility

with intent to deliver, an article to an inmate or child of the facility;
(2) carries, or receives with intent to carry out of the penal facility or juvenile facility, an article from an inmate or child of the facility;
(3) delivers, or carries to a worksite with the intent to deliver, alcoholic beverages to an inmate or child of a jail work crew or community work crew; or
(4) possesses in or carries into a penal facility or a juvenile facility:
(A) a controlled substance; or
(B) a deadly weapon;
commits trafficking with an inmate, a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) If the person who committed the offense under subsection (b) is an employee of:
(1) the department of correction; or
(2) a penal facility;
and the article is a cigarette or tobacco product (as defined in IC 6-7-2-5), the court shall impose a mandatory five thousand dollar ($5,000) fine under IC 35-50-3-2, in addition to any term of imprisonment imposed under IC 35-50-3-2.
(d) The offense under subsection (b) is a Class C felony if the article is:
(1) a controlled substance;
(2) a deadly weapon; or
(3) a cellular telephone or other wireless or cellular communications device.

As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.4. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.67; Acts 1981, P.L.300, SEC.2; P.L.223-1996, SEC.1; P.L.183-1999, SEC.2; P.L.243-1999, SEC.2; P.L.30-2004, SEC.1; P.L.128-2009, SEC.2.

See number 4 simply possessing a firearm in a secure facility is all that is needed, no need to prove intent. And for the legal definition of penal facility in IN here it is.
IC 35-41-1-21
"Penal facility"
Sec. 21. "Penal facility" means state prison, correctional facility, county jail, penitentiary, house of correction, or any other facility for confinement of persons under sentence, or awaiting trial or sentence, for offenses. The term includes a correctional facility constructed under IC 4-13.5.

Any police station that has a cell would fall under this. Heck any station that has a chair that they sit people in while being booked before being shipped to an actual jail could fall under this with the right (or wrong) prosecutor.

There is a lawyer in IN who is very pro-gun who discussed this, his name is Guy Relford, he has almost 30 years of experience in the law and focuses on firearm related law.

Hold on, if you carry a gun or a cell phone into a police station, you could be committing a class C felony?
If you apply it to one, you have to apply it to all.
Sorry, it just doesn't pass the giggle test.

And yes, I spent about 8 weeks going to a police department once a week--even in the secured area a couple times--and they never once told us that carrying a cell phone was a felony...even when I talked on my cell phone in front of the Sgt and Lt. The only places they told us we couldn't carry were the county jail and the juvy facility

MKEgal

Timjoebillybob said:
"Penal facility"
If a stupid, overzealous prosecutor wanted to risk his career & waste taxpayer money by charging & trying to convict someone of "carrying into a penal facility" for merely being in a police station with a holding cell...
:banghead:
I don't see a similarity between a police station holding cell (or chair, for that matter) and a "state prison, correctional facility, county jail, penitentiary, house of correction, or any other facility for confinement of persons under sentence, or awaiting trial or sentence".
Unless someone is caught after escaping custody, they're awaiting being charged, not "trial or sentence".

As for the "manly poetry" meme... I'll just post links.
Not exactly family fare, despite being from the Bible.
Good for straight men & gay women.
Song of Solomon 7:2-4
Song of Solomon 7:6-8
Proverbs 5:18-20

amaixner

:uhoh:

Most of us are men. We don't have favorite poems.

You've obviously not read enough Kipling or Tennnyson =)
"My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten,
Because my heart is pure.
The shattering trumpet shrilleth high,
The hard brands shiver on the steel,
The splinter'd spear-shafts crack and fly,
The horse and rider reel"