• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My friend call open carrying rude

EtdBob

Yesterday I was working in a pump house when a 1” waterline suddenly blew.
135 psi, open 1 inch pipe tapped right off an 8 inch main line aimed at the ceiling. Instant Flood.
Everyone split out the door except me, because I was busy slapping electrical disconnects off then looking for a valve to shut the durn water off!
Thankfully I was wearing a wool jacket buttoned up and a cowboy hat at the time. Only my jeans got soaked to the skin, the rest of me was mostly dry.

Afterwards we all stood around dripping to one degree or the other and joked about it. I took off my wet wool jacket…Exposing my Glock!
I wasn’t gonna keep a wet jacket on just to conceal my gun.
This was on Colville tribal lands. Anyone know what the rules governing open carry on tribal lands are???

Anyway, everyone noticed I had a gun on.
Much discussion followed.
Three out of four didn’t care, but the fourth felt that openly carrying was in some way practically an initiation of force against him.
I have gotten that response quite a bit over the years. It seems that many folk are just not comfortable with “any old Joe” having a gun at his side, that said Joe could draw and kill ‘em at the drop of a hat should they wish to do so or lose their temper. A gun on my hip makes me feel safer, but makes many others feel less safe. It may be a silly response, but never the less it is a very real one.

Heh, we went on to argue politics for hours, greatly slowing down the work we were doing.
At one point the uncomfortable-with-guns-fella was standing there red faced and yelling at me. One of the other fellas laughing, said “ Draw your gun and shoot him Bob! Shoot him! Shoot him!”
It was actually pretty funny at the time. For us anyway, not for the gun hater.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
A little different take on this type of attitude as I find often that someone is willing to seek self defense in some form as size, strength, muscle builders, those who train in knife technique's or martial arts of different forms voice their opposition to firearms, since it does not support their superiority in defense.
And when all is said and done it is a matter of defending oneself or family not the tool that is used.

God made man but Smith and Wesson, or Colt man all men equal.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Yesterday I was working in a pump house when a 1” waterline suddenly blew.
135 psi, open 1 inch pipe tapped right off an 8 inch main line aimed at the ceiling. Instant Flood.
Everyone split out the door except me, because I was busy slapping electrical disconnects off then looking for a valve to shut the durn water off!
Thankfully I was wearing a wool jacket buttoned up and a cowboy hat at the time. Only my jeans got soaked to the skin, the rest of me was mostly dry.

Afterwards we all stood around dripping to one degree or the other and joked about it. I took off my wet wool jacket…Exposing my Glock!
I wasn’t gonna keep a wet jacket on just to conceal my gun.
This was on Colville tribal lands. Anyone know what the rules governing open carry on tribal lands are???

Anyway, everyone noticed I had a gun on.
Much discussion followed.
Three out of four didn’t care, but the fourth felt that openly carrying was in some way practically an initiation of force against him.
I have gotten that response quite a bit over the years. It seems that many folk are just not comfortable with “any old Joe” having a gun at his side, that said Joe could draw and kill ‘em at the drop of a hat should they wish to do so or lose their temper. A gun on my hip makes me feel safer, but makes many others feel less safe. It may be a silly response, but never the less it is a very real one.

Heh, we went on to argue politics for hours, greatly slowing down the work we were doing.
At one point the uncomfortable-with-guns-fella was standing there red faced and yelling at me. One of the other fellas laughing, said “ Draw your gun and shoot him Bob! Shoot him! Shoot him!”
It was actually pretty funny at the time. For us anyway, not for the gun hater.

If all the anti-gunner's who thought that 'we' would shoot them when we lost our temper were correct, there would be NO anti-gunners.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

And obviously people who carry concealed could never just draw and kill them at the drop of a hat should they wish to do so or lose their temper? And what about cops - are they somehow incapable of doing those things?:banghead:

I am empatetic regarding the fact that these people are sorry and that they have irrational fears that they have not yet resolved with reality. But that is their problem, and I get weary of them trying to make it my problem instead. Close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears, chant "La, la, la...." and think about your happy place. I'll go scan for threats - and by the way folks like that are definately listed as threats to my safety as well as my sanity.

stay safe.

Wolfebane

In high school he went through a self discovery phase and turned liberal.

You mean that he confirmed that he was liberal. Because the default position of all children is that of liberal:

"I want it all.

I want it now.

And I want YOU to pay for it."

Last edited:

hermannr

Personal offence is a strange thing...it is impossible to give offence, it is only possible to take offence...that is why a lot of law is written with the word "intent" in it. Was the "intent" to ???? (intimidate in 9.21 is one)

A person points an airsoft pistol at you with the intent to rob you, (he has broken off all the external orange tip) when you are looking down the barrel of this "modified" airsoft you see a little bit of that orange plastic left in the barrel....

The person with the pistol definately has the intent to intimidate don't you think? so when you see that bit of orange what do you do?

As for the knife person..tell him there are people out there that would not have a chance with a knife...110lb girl V a 240lb male? A retired old man that has had polio V almost anyone? etc. The disparity is equalized by the firearm.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
Knives are terrible self-defence weapons. They are much better suited to offensive purposes like ambushes and assassinations. That being said, a knife can be better than nothing.

Levi

First, I'd tell your friend that anyone taking offense to anything not intended to is silly. Ultimately, that's rude and repugnant behavior.

Second, I'd definitely challenge him on the "Guns bad, knife good" thing. There's a dozen ways to argue it immediately with simple, neutral (non political) arguments to just punch holes in that philosophy. Violence is violence, the intent behind it gives it moral character. After all, your intent is to make the world a safer place with responsible gun ownership.

Third, arm yourself with knowledge. When you're dealing with the issue officially, you need legal knowledge but when you're dealing with an anti, it's statistics. After all, that's their favorite weapon to sway the public. Find out real gun violence stats and lay them out. Never hide or discount the truthful ones no matter how they oppose your views. There's a lot of stats that show the benefits and truths about fire arms that will decimate any intellectual anti arguments. I started my research into it with Wikipedia and http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp. Also, having a few anecdotal stories about some gun carrier saving someone to throw in helps a lot.

Finally, invite him out to the range once. Teach him how to use the sights and give him an easy target. I'd recommend a firearm that has low recoil. (My personal recommendation is a large frame .357mag revolver with .38spec rounds but w/e) Tell him if nothing else, he'll have personal experience to use with his arguments.

With these I've managed to successfully win over more than one anti.

TechnoWeenie

If standing up for what you believe in, and your inherent rights, is rude... Then MLK was the rudest of them all... All those rude black people...demanding they be treated with respect...

Try that next time, see what happens :p

fire suppressor

I wonder if it's a nostalgia thing...thinking back to sword fighting or samurais or something. Where two were supposedly on an equal playing field and fought it out. Of course, that thought completely ignores what happens to those that aren't strong, fast, and skilled. They have to be dependent on those that do have those traits...or be at their mercy.

This could be we did pretend to be knights a lot when we where little

skiingislife725

If standing up for what you believe in, and your inherent rights, is rude... Then MLK was the rudest of them all... All those rude black people...demanding they be treated with respect...

Try that next time, see what happens :p

I like telling anti's about MLK and his arsenal of firearms...and how Gandhi and the Dalai Lama were/are also atleast partly in favor of gun ownership. Really seems to give them a wake up.

Also, the munchkin wrangler's blog piece, "The Gun is Civilization" and the essay on RKBA called "The Tao of Gun" are excellent pieces to pass on.

fire suppressor

Not to be overly polite about it but, .... your friend is an idiot.

I support anyone's right to treat their body the way they wish, but even acknowledging that, everyone also knows there are no demonstrable benefits to smoking. If he continues to do so, the only thing it proves is that he's perfectly capable of ignoring facts and making poor decisions.

Speaking of poor decisions; would I be correct that your friend carries his knife concealed?

50/50 sometimes he does and other times he does not

TechnoWeenie

gun_control_is_racist.jpg

H

Herr Heckler Koch

"Not at the head, where a fatal wound might result."

the dalai lama said,,,, if someone is trying to shoot You with his gun,
............................... You should shoot him with your gun....
Tenzin Gyatso said:
But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, he said, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. Not at the head, where a fatal wound might result. But at some other body part, such as a leg. (Seattle Times, 15 May 2001)
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20010515&slug=dalai15m0

Be sure to tell the whole story and not make the Dalai Lama into your parrot.

fire suppressor

Wow thanks for the link his quote really surprised me! If even the Dalia Lama understands this then why can't everyone els!? I posted his quote in its entirety on my Facebook and really should go make popcorn before the fun starts :)

"Acts of violence should be remembered, and then forgiveness should be extended to the perpetrators. But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. Not at the head, where a fatal wound might result. But at some other body part, such as a leg."

-Dalia Lama

Last edited:

OC for ME

I don't talk politics or religion around the Thanksgiving supper table. Football discussions are contentious enough as it is.

OC and leave it at that. If your friend keeps bringing the subject up, reevaluate your friendship.

If he does not bring it up in the future, no harm, no foul. keep on keeping on. It's on him, not you.