Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: OC Hiking Trip?

OT: OC Hiking Trip?

Hey all, I know it's getting annoying with me posting Off-Topic threads and all, but I was just thinking, with May just around the corner, how about a nice hike in the woods? And here comes the next part, is OC in the Woods/Hiking trails a good thing? like is it Ok, or do folks prefer to CC up there?

I went for a drive out on the Mountain Loop Highway, and discovered several trails I want to try out. I need to form a group to get the most out of it(and for safety!). Even if just one other person joins me on the trek. They're not long & grueling trails, just short day hikes, that's all.
    "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." George Patton

Of course it's a good idea...there are cougar's, after all.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    What do you have against older women?

Cougar's in them thar hills

I have hiked many a mile in the Issaquah Alps, the only cougar I have seen so far walk on two legs. I keep my 45 on my side just in case.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I like cougars......lol.....
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

There does look like some good stuff up the Mtn Loop. I just went on a short evening hike on Monday up to Heather Lake to get a few turns in (skis)...no skiing happened though. The place sounded like a warzone...BIG avy's on the next drainage over. Wish I was up on the ridge to see em. Oh and I wasn't OCing on the way up (still haven't figured out my MINI chest rig setup yet)...but after passing by three creepy teenagers (prob Granite Fall-ites), I decided to attach the holster to my waistbelt for the trip back down. Figures, the hour or so I take off my gun during that day, I come across creepers.

Three Fingers Lookout would be cool before it fully melts out (so it's not a zoo up there and you could even spend the night).

If it is not raining then I will always OC on a hike. Also, I actually have seen a cougar (4-legged kind) while grouse hunting outside of Ashford. Figures I left my rifle at home that day.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

plenty of cougars out there. If you see one its because it made a mistake and you got lucky, otherwise they are watching you. here kitty kitty. Don't worry they usually let you pass, but just to be safe... stop look and listen. I love the woods

I would be down for a hike depending on day and location. Wallace Falls out by Gold Bar hike is always fun too
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

I'd be up for hiking, but my May (after 19th) work schedule has me off Wed and Thursday.
    Last edited by golddigger14s; 04-29-2012 at 05:05 AM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

I love to hike...getting a bit slow these days, but I love to hike...I have always OCd when hiking. The only conversations I have had with other people on the trail have been positive. German tourists especially interested in being able to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ 911 View Post
    Hey all, I know it's getting annoying with me posting Off-Topic threads and all, but I was just thinking, with May just around the corner, how about a nice hike in the woods? And here comes the next part, is OC in the Woods/Hiking trails a good thing? like is it Ok, or do folks prefer to CC up there?

I went for a drive out on the Mountain Loop Highway, and discovered several trails I want to try out. I need to form a group to get the most out of it(and for safety!). Even if just one other person joins me on the trek. They're not long & grueling trails, just short day hikes, that's all.
    I'm definitely up for it. Just make sure you let me know what days you're Planning as soon as you can so I can get the days off. My work schedule is done by the month.

I was thinking sometime around Late-May or Early-June. That's when most of the trails officially open, and some of the snow has melted. Some places, like Mount Pilchuck, can retain snow into July or even later.

Has anyone been up to Glaicer Basin or Lake 22?

I was thinking sometime around Late-May or Early-June. That's when most of the trails officially open, and some of the snow has melted. Some places, like Mount Pilchuck, can retain snow into July or even later.

Has anyone been up to Glaicer Basin or Lake 22?
    Haven't been up either of those yet. Will probably head up to Lake 22 soon...if only to see the avy's come down that headwall on the other side of the lake. Supposedly though, there's some good fishing to be had there. And what may be an issue, it's an easier hike than Glacier Basin (half the elevation gain). Although Glacier Basin also sounds like a cool area.

I'd definitely be up to a hike, schedule permitting of course.
    I'll be done with my spring quarter June 14th, I know it's not "early June". Perhaps on a weekend before that I could squeeze in a hike.
    Last edited by Knowledge; 04-06-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    I'd definitely be up to a hike, schedule permitting of course.
    I'll be done with my spring quarter June 14th, I know it's not "early June". Perhaps on a weekend before that I could squeeze in a hike.
    Depending on the weather, June 14th might be how long we'll have to wait. I know the snow in the mountains can linger late into the season.

The Heather Lake trail or Lake Twentytwo probably won't take very long, since they're fairly low (~2500ft). Glacier Basin one might take longer...looks like the TH is at that elevation and it gains another 2k or more. Kind of hard to avoid snow in the mountains...either have a couple month hiking season, or ya deal. Besides, now that it's pretty much stopped snowing, you definitely won't be breaking trail, it'll all be compact snow.

Get over to North Mason county. Try theMildred lakes trio. 1000' gain in 2 1/2 miles, but most of the gain is in a mile stretch. Fishing is good in the middle lake.

Wink OC Hike

Did a nice OC hike today (see Whatcom County OC). I'd be up for a hike down Mountain Loop Highway area. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Only hike I've done in that area is Goat Lake, but I know there's a pretty good selection of trails.

I Oc'ied last Sunday on a trail on MLH, on lake twenty-two. Snow just started to melt, last sunday(4/22/12) there was snow on the path about 3/4 of the hike in, the week before it was 1/2 way in and 2 more feet so I'm guessing most of the snow melted but on top which has a beautiful lake and scenery.

Although it is nearly a 3 mile hike up, if you have the time take it's worth it. If anyone is interested maybe we can set up a date and a carpool and head out there. Also I had no confrontations about OC but a few parents with kids either let us pass or held back until we past (when we were going off trails to take photos)

Here are some photos

Less than 1/4 way you start seeing streams like this flowing at good paces and continues for about 1/2 of the way up

Little more than 3/4 you run into snow and some of the streams melt the snow way, leaving gaps that you either have to climb down or jump it like my friend did lol (the gap is about 1-3 feet wide and 5 feet deep) wish I had better photos of the gap he jumped

When you almost get to the top you start seeing a lake like this, this is when you know you are very close

Then you get to this!!!!

Sit down and enjoy it there is a bridge over a lake and after all the snow melts there is a path around the lake. if there is snow surrounding the lake be careful as whats under that snow is the lake lol

Last edited by rlacsamana1989; 04-29-2012 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    I would be down for a hike depending on day and location. Wallace Falls out by Gold Bar hike is always fun too
    Sounds like a plan.

I could meet up with you and car pool to.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Oh yeah! Now that's cool!

I'd be up for a carpool! Anyone else interested?

Thumbs up

I'm good for a hike and wouldn't mind a little carpooling if that works for me coming from Bellingham.

I'm free most any time with a couple of days notice so I'll just keep tabs on what gets set up.

Oh, yeah I'm super cheap so carpooling works for me. Got a date set for this yet?

I have been getting into some moderate hiking this year with my weight loss its amazing how much easier a climb is when you are not carrying a bunch of extra weight. I have stuck to more local trails due to time constraints but I have always open carried and have not had a problem. I have had a few sideways looks and heads turns but I never stop to take questions and no one has chased me down. I prefer to open carry on hikes not just because it think it is the most comfortable way to carry or to guard against the wild life but for the weird people you can come across in remote areas. You never know how many felons are hiding in the woods or how many drug traffickers are out there. And actually I do not think this is OT at all I think its perfectly on topic
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast