• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: OC Hiking Trip?

ARADCOM

I'm good for a hike and wouldn't mind a little carpooling if that works for me coming from Bellingham.

I'm free most any time with a couple of days notice so I'll just keep tabs on what gets set up.

fire suppressor

I have been getting into some moderate hiking this year with my weight loss its amazing how much easier a climb is when you are not carrying a bunch of extra weight. I have stuck to more local trails due to time constraints but I have always open carried and have not had a problem. I have had a few sideways looks and heads turns but I never stop to take questions and no one has chased me down. I prefer to open carry on hikes not just because it think it is the most comfortable way to carry or to guard against the wild life but for the weird people you can come across in remote areas. You never know how many felons are hiding in the woods or how many drug traffickers are out there. And actually I do not think this is OT at all I think its perfectly on topic

acmariner99

Just Say Where and When!

I am definitely in. I have OCed on numerous hikes and have gotten very few comments and when I have they have been positive or positive/sarcastic. "Hey, I think we should stay with this guy!" (Grand Canyon).

There is one major exception:

One time I was hiking in the Olympics and one person in my party was San Fran/Berkley Level anti-gun. I was concealing that day, but she sarcastically asked: "so, have you been packing?" I said I was and had been all day and she never noticed. She FLIPPED! The look on her face was priceless. She even saw fit to tell me what I could or could not do in my car since I was the one driving. Since she wouldn't hear anything I had to say and even said that we shouldn't have any rights at all (she said the Constitution was completely outdated and should be totally rewritten), I simply said "You know, normally I carry in the open. I was courteous enough to carry concealed all day so as to not 'cause a ruckus' for you or anyone else. It would have stayed that way, but YOU chose to bring it up. Bottom line: my car, my rules, my God given right to defend myself - this discussion is over." -- I even hinted would buy her a one way ticket to Victoria, BC if she kept insulting me and everything this country stands for. There are a few you just can't reason with.

Anyway OC hike -- just say where and when and I'm in!

Trigger Dr

I have been getting into some moderate hiking this year with my weight loss its amazing how much easier a climb is when you are not carrying a bunch of extra weight. I have stuck to more local trails due to time constraints but I have always open carried and have not had a problem. I have had a few sideways looks and heads turns but I never stop to take questions and no one has chased me down. I prefer to open carry on hikes not just because it think it is the most comfortable way to carry or to guard against the wild life but for the weird people you can come across in remote areas. You never know how many felons are hiding in the woods or how many drug traffickers are out there. And actually I do not think this is OT at all I think its perfectly on topic

Eddie, There is a short (2 mile round trip) hike just above Seabeck. It is a bit of a climb but not unreasonable. Two ways to tackle it one easy bloth ways and one difficult going up but easy coming down. Let me know and I will show you where it is at.

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Sorry Freedom1Man, No offence...

Sounds like a plan.

I could meet up with you and car pool to.

Hello Freedom1Man,

Since you have joined the site and started interacting with this community I will say the following. I want to be completely honest here. While I appreciate the effort you believe you been doing in the area for OC, after meeting you a few months back regarding your harassment in Monroe, I do not feel too comfortable around you. I am not sure what vibe I was getting or what exactly caused it but I did not feel secure around you. Being that I am familiar with firearms, I highly dought it was caused by the presence of your weapons. I believe something else about your domineer caused this. This same reason is likely why you have had multiple interactions in the area where I have had none. Also, I don’t agree with some of the tactics you have tried in the past which I think may actually hurt our cause (LGOC for instance).

While I hope you don’t take too much offence to this, I do not wish to go on any trips that you are and I don’t wish to provide you transportation to or from any. I truely hope whatever vibe I was getting is just a fluke and you really are a good, confident person but I would rather not put myself into that test at this time.

-slapmonkay

skiingislife725

Hello Freedom1Man,

Since you have joined the site and started interacting with this community I will say the following. I want to be completely honest here. While I appreciate the effort you believe you been doing in the area for OC, after meeting you a few months back regarding your harassment in Monroe, I do not feel too comfortable around you. I am not sure what vibe I was getting or what exactly caused it but I did not feel secure around you. Being that I am familiar with firearms, I highly dought it was caused by the presence of your weapons. I believe something else about your domineer caused this. This same reason is likely why you have had multiple interactions in the area where I have had none. Also, I don’t agree with some of the tactics you have tried in the past which I think may actually hurt our cause (LGOC for instance).

While I hope you don’t take too much offence to this, I do not wish to go on any trips that you are and I don’t wish to provide you transportation to or from any. I truely hope whatever vibe I was getting is just a fluke and you really are a good, confident person but I would rather not put myself into that test at this time.

-slapmonkay

I've got to back up slapmonkay on this one. Maybe my opinions are jaded because I was there along with slap when the Starbucks incident occurred, but it is what it is. And I do get the same vibes...probably nothing and you're probably just fine. But the LGOC (and now the two handguns in thigh rigs), the giant walking stick which looks like a jumbo escrima fighting stick and the overall tactical appearance I don't think helps our cause of trying to get people on our side. It freaks them out. That said, I 100% stand by you in your rights to do whatever is legal...I just am not going to associate myself with it.

Best of luck to you.

Freedom1Man

I've got to back up slapmonkay on this one. Maybe my opinions are jaded because I was there along with slap when the Starbucks incident occurred, but it is what it is. And I do get the same vibes...probably nothing and you're probably just fine. But the LGOC (and now the two handguns in thigh rigs), the giant walking stick which looks like a jumbo escrima fighting stick and the overall tactical appearance I don't think helps our cause of trying to get people on our side. It freaks them out. That said, I 100% stand by you in your rights to do whatever is legal...I just am not going to associate myself with it.

Best of luck to you.

Not the first time and likely not the last I am sure. I've been told I give a weird vibe at first. That is after someone got to know me and told me it was a fluke. Funny thing is that it's a couple who the wive is not pro-gun (just not anti) but the husband is pro-gun and they both said the same thing.

Either way no offense taken.

AS for the walking stick I prefer walking with them. I was taught to make sure it's as close to as tall as yourself as you can get. The 550 cord was mostly because a dog chewed up the end the amount there is a bonus. As for the LR I had checked with Slap for his input before bringing it.

BTW it was only one drop down leg holster. I got tired to trying to OC on hip with any sort of jacket on besides I hate having to do two movements to draw. The leg holster keeps it in easy reach. I have thought about using two to balance the weight but too impractical.

Last edited:

skiingislife725

As for the LR I had checked with Slap for his input before bringing it.

BTW it was only one drop down leg holster. I got tired to trying to OC on hip with any sort of jacket on besides I hate having to do two movements to draw. The leg holster keeps it in easy reach. I have thought about using two to balance the weight but too impractical.

From what slap said, he said that he specifically asked you NOT to bring the AR to the meeting. Not that you have to listen to him, but still.

And I mentioned the 2 handgun OC because you said that's what you did the other day...the two leg holsters was just presumed since you atleast do one leg rig.
Road my mountain bike through Monroe today, 2 OCPs (open carry pistols) zero problems :).

Anyways, we'll just have to agree to disagree about OCing behavior/tactics and, like I said, best of luck.

Freedom1Man

From what slap said, he said that he specifically asked you NOT to bring the AR to the meeting. Not that you have to listen to him, but still.
If that was true I would have left it at home. I asked first before bringing it. It was because he had contacted me about a video where I was had it out.

Thank you SlapMonkey,
>>> If they don't have dash cams then they are out the only police group that does not have them in this state.
>>> I then wonder what all the equipment I have seen on their dashes is.
>>> Still on for Saturday 10am Starbucks next to Big 5? That is a cop hot spot. I will be bringing a camera just in case something happens while on my way there.
>>>
>>> I did not give ID on that day. We both declined to ID ourselves but I have been charged with unlawful display while at my home once. So I am sure they have my name and photo on record.
>>> Nor did my friend so I would like to know if he was ID'd also.
>>>
>>> I may bring the rifle or shotgun but I am unsure how Starbucks will react to that and it's a known cop hot spot.
>>> The Monroe PD and I don't get along after I got on the news and called them out for a bad traffic stop and then the court refusing payment that I was ordered to make.

I could post the whole history of contact but will refrain from doing so I just went through them and no where in there was a request to not bring it. I remember asking on the phone too.
And I mentioned the 2 handgun OC because you said that's what you did the other day...the two leg holsters was just presumed since you atleast do one leg rig.

Presumed no, it was assumed.
I had a shoulder holster on the day we met. This last Saturday bike ride, 1 shoulder holster + 1 leg holster + warm weather (no jacket) = 2 OC.

Anyways, we'll just have to agree to disagree about OCing behavior/tactics and, like I said, best of luck.

That is fine.

fire suppressor

Eddie, There is a short (2 mile round trip) hike just above Seabeck. It is a bit of a climb but not unreasonable. Two ways to tackle it one easy bloth ways and one difficult going up but easy coming down. Let me know and I will show you where it is at.

Thanks Jim I appreciate that I have some re certs coming up maybe after that all gets taken care of

slsplets

Would like to speak to the Trigger Dr.

Lost your contact info and am unable to PM you. Please reply so we can figure this out. Haven't spoken for awhile, we spent quite abit of time discussing the 45/70
Thanks, Scott