• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: OC Hiking Trip?

FMJ 911

Hey all, I know it's getting annoying with me posting Off-Topic threads and all, but I was just thinking, with May just around the corner, how about a nice hike in the woods? And here comes the next part, is OC in the Woods/Hiking trails a good thing? like is it Ok, or do folks prefer to CC up there?

I went for a drive out on the Mountain Loop Highway, and discovered several trails I want to try out. I need to form a group to get the most out of it(and for safety!). Even if just one other person joins me on the trek. They're not long & grueling trails, just short day hikes, that's all.

The Big Dog

Cougar's in them thar hills

Of course it's a good idea...there are cougar's, after all.

I have hiked many a mile in the Issaquah Alps, the only cougar I have seen so far walk on two legs. I keep my 45 on my side just in case.

skiingislife725

There does look like some good stuff up the Mtn Loop. I just went on a short evening hike on Monday up to Heather Lake to get a few turns in (skis)...no skiing happened though. The place sounded like a warzone...BIG avy's on the next drainage over. Wish I was up on the ridge to see em. Oh and I wasn't OCing on the way up (still haven't figured out my MINI chest rig setup yet)...but after passing by three creepy teenagers (prob Granite Fall-ites), I decided to attach the holster to my waistbelt for the trip back down. Figures, the hour or so I take off my gun during that day, I come across creepers.

Three Fingers Lookout would be cool before it fully melts out (so it's not a zoo up there and you could even spend the night).

decklin

If it is not raining then I will always OC on a hike. Also, I actually have seen a cougar (4-legged kind) while grouse hunting outside of Ashford. Figures I left my rifle at home that day.

waterfowl woody

plenty of cougars out there. If you see one its because it made a mistake and you got lucky, otherwise they are watching you. here kitty kitty. Don't worry they usually let you pass, but just to be safe... stop look and listen. I love the woods

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I would be down for a hike depending on day and location. Wallace Falls out by Gold Bar hike is always fun too

hermannr

I love to hike...getting a bit slow these days, but I love to hike...I have always OCd when hiking. The only conversations I have had with other people on the trail have been positive. German tourists especially interested in being able to do so. :)

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Hey all, I know it's getting annoying with me posting Off-Topic threads and all, but I was just thinking, with May just around the corner, how about a nice hike in the woods? And here comes the next part, is OC in the Woods/Hiking trails a good thing? like is it Ok, or do folks prefer to CC up there?

I went for a drive out on the Mountain Loop Highway, and discovered several trails I want to try out. I need to form a group to get the most out of it(and for safety!). Even if just one other person joins me on the trek. They're not long & grueling trails, just short day hikes, that's all.

I'm definitely up for it. Just make sure you let me know what days you're Planning as soon as you can so I can get the days off. My work schedule is done by the month.

FMJ 911

I was thinking sometime around Late-May or Early-June. That's when most of the trails officially open, and some of the snow has melted. Some places, like Mount Pilchuck, can retain snow into July or even later.

Has anyone been up to Glaicer Basin or Lake 22?

skiingislife725

I was thinking sometime around Late-May or Early-June. That's when most of the trails officially open, and some of the snow has melted. Some places, like Mount Pilchuck, can retain snow into July or even later.

Has anyone been up to Glaicer Basin or Lake 22?

Haven't been up either of those yet. Will probably head up to Lake 22 soon...if only to see the avy's come down that headwall on the other side of the lake. Supposedly though, there's some good fishing to be had there. And what may be an issue, it's an easier hike than Glacier Basin (half the elevation gain). Although Glacier Basin also sounds like a cool area.

Knowledge

I'd definitely be up to a hike, schedule permitting of course.
I'll be done with my spring quarter June 14th, I know it's not "early June". Perhaps on a weekend before that I could squeeze in a hike.

Last edited:

FMJ 911

I'd definitely be up to a hike, schedule permitting of course.
I'll be done with my spring quarter June 14th, I know it's not "early June". Perhaps on a weekend before that I could squeeze in a hike.

Depending on the weather, June 14th might be how long we'll have to wait. I know the snow in the mountains can linger late into the season.

skiingislife725

The Heather Lake trail or Lake Twentytwo probably won't take very long, since they're fairly low (~2500ft). Glacier Basin one might take longer...looks like the TH is at that elevation and it gains another 2k or more. Kind of hard to avoid snow in the mountains...either have a couple month hiking season, or ya deal. Besides, now that it's pretty much stopped snowing, you definitely won't be breaking trail, it'll all be compact snow.

Trigger Dr

Get over to North Mason county. Try theMildred lakes trio. 1000' gain in 2 1/2 miles, but most of the gain is in a mile stretch. Fishing is good in the middle lake.

ARADCOM

OC Hike

Did a nice OC hike today (see Whatcom County OC). I'd be up for a hike down Mountain Loop Highway area. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Only hike I've done in that area is Goat Lake, but I know there's a pretty good selection of trails.

rlacsamana1989

I Oc'ied last Sunday on a trail on MLH, on lake twenty-two. Snow just started to melt, last sunday(4/22/12) there was snow on the path about 3/4 of the hike in, the week before it was 1/2 way in and 2 more feet so I'm guessing most of the snow melted but on top which has a beautiful lake and scenery.

Although it is nearly a 3 mile hike up, if you have the time take it's worth it. If anyone is interested maybe we can set up a date and a carpool and head out there. Also I had no confrontations about OC but a few parents with kids either let us pass or held back until we past (when we were going off trails to take photos)

Here are some photos

Less than 1/4 way you start seeing streams like this flowing at good paces and continues for about 1/2 of the way up
580860_3286076148950_1179039549_32481014_433782377_n.jpg

Little more than 3/4 you run into snow and some of the streams melt the snow way, leaving gaps that you either have to climb down or jump it like my friend did lol (the gap is about 1-3 feet wide and 5 feet deep) wish I had better photos of the gap he jumped
523053_3285988986771_1179039549_32480988_1824364357_n.jpg

When you almost get to the top you start seeing a lake like this, this is when you know you are very close
546738_3286087269228_1179039549_32481021_227790444_n.jpg

Then you get to this!!!!
560608_10150683295556501_713966500_9810515_1465077374_n.jpg

Sit down and enjoy it there is a bridge over a lake and after all the snow melts there is a path around the lake. if there is snow surrounding the lake be careful as whats under that snow is the lake lol

545756_10150683293261501_713966500_9810497_1443727719_n-1.jpg

Last edited: