• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on Motorcycle?

ADulay

In my own case, when I'm open carrying on the motorcycle (this is a daily event) I'm covered by the relevent statutes for restricted open carry here in Florida.

If the gun is in my pocket, it's my CC permit that allows it. (Not a normal activity for me)

If the gun is in my tank bag, still another statute covers it! (Again, not a normal activity)

One of the things that anyone "open carrying" needs to be aware of is what statute is actually covering your activity at the time and be able to recite it from memory. As I understand Ohio open carry, it is not actually codified, but the Ohio statutes basically say open carry is not regulated. I believe that information is on page 18 of the Ohio Concealed Carry book that they send out.

Open carry is an individual thing. A lot of my friends absolutely will not do it while a few have tried it but just aren't sure if it's for them.

In my case, I open carry daily and really enjoy not having to jam a gun into my pants all day long!

For places where it's posted that open carry is not allowed, I just throw a cover shirt on and move along!

Once you get comfortable with open carry, you'll wonder why you ever shoved a gun inside your pants for all those years.

AD

whitewolf68

One of the things that anyone "open carrying" needs to be aware of is what statute is actually covering your activity at the time and be able to recite it from memory. As I understand Ohio open carry, it is not actually codified, but the Ohio statutes basically say open carry is not regulated. I believe that information is on page 18 of the Ohio Concealed Carry book that they send out.

You're correct AD from the Ohio CCW Manual
Open Carry: Ohio’s concealed carry laws do not regulate “open” carry of firearms. If you openly carry, use caution. The open carry of firearms is a legal activity in Ohio.

WolfSpirit292

Yeah, when carrying in a vehicle, open or otherwise, you need your CCW. If you don't have your CCW then you have to carry it unloaded and the gun seperate from the magazine and blah, blah, blah. Pain in the butt. If you don't have your CCW, it's just a smart idea to have it anyway.

MyWifeSaidYes

From page 13 of the 2011 OAG Concealed Carry Handbook:

Transporting in Motor Vehicles

...Motorcycles fall under the definition of motor vehicles. Thus, the same requirements apply to licensees who carry a handgun while on a motorcycle.

That means when I sit on my motorcycle, with a handgun, openly carried, in a holster, on my hip, Ohio considers that concealed. :eek:

That seems silly until I remember that, in Ohio, an empty revolver in a locked box under your car seat and the full speedloader in a separate, locked box in your trunk means you are transporting a loaded weapon. :uhoh:

Or that this state also considers your semi-automatic Glock 17 an automatic machinegun if you have a 33-round magazine. Thirty rounds plus one in the pipe is okay, but more than that magically makes it an automatic. :banghead: