Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Oklahoma OC Bills-Where do they stand as of today? 4-5-2012

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    6

    Oklahoma OC Bills-Where do they stand as of today? 4-5-2012

    I think it would be useful if someone could post briefly as to where the OC bills stand in the OK Legislature as of today (April 5, 2012) and where they have to go before they become law.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    744
    HB2522 has passed the House and the Senate public safety committee. However the Senate public safety committee gutted the bill and replaced it with Senator Russell SB1092 which didn't get a hearing in committee.

    SB1733 has passed the Senate and the House public safety committee. The House public safety committee amended the bill with the engrossed text of HB2522. (These bills were very similar so no big changes)

    Each bill has to pass the chamber it is currently in, then go back to the opposite full chamber for approval of the amendments, then they can go to the governors desk.

    At some time, a conference committee may be called to reconcile these 2 bills into a single bill that would have to be approved by each full chamber, then go to the governors desk.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for the reply. I assume you'll post the hearing dates as soon as you find them, as usual-thanks for all the informative stuff you post.

    I heard about a shooting in Tulsa from a friend. He said the OC bills have been "shelved". Is this true or is he just wetting his pants unnecessarily?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by JR65 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I assume you'll post the hearing dates as soon as you find them, as usual-thanks for all the informative stuff you post.

    I heard about a shooting in Tulsa from a friend. He said the OC bills have been "shelved". Is this true or is he just wetting his pants unnecessarily?
    Pants wetting. There have been hearings since this happened. The known hearings have already happened. Only time we will know something far enough in advance to post will be if it makes it to conference committee, but when anything of substance happens, I will post it here on OCDO.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SW Oklahoma
    Posts
    15
    HB2522 is worthless now. It has been completely twisted into something else.

    SB1733 was sitting idle and suddenly got traction and was voted on and overwhelmingly passed the House but with a very minor Amendment. What this means, according to Randy Bass's office, is that the Senate has about a month to consider the 4th reading and vote on SB1733. Correct me if I am wrong but I think that this bill is still a good OC bill (although not Constitutional carry) and in theory it should be as good as gold. But, we all know how theory works in politics. Anything could happen at any time but I think we are as close to we have ever been to getting OC considering we have a governor on record stating she would sign a good OC bill into law.

    Any experts have a better understanding, feel free to enlighten me.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    744
    SB1733 had big amendments in the house. SB1733 is now what HB2522 was when it left the House. OK2A has been told that the Senate will accept the amendments and vote on it. Once they vote on fourth reading it will go to the governors desk.

    Now that I think about what happened with SB1733 and HB2522, what happened was good because HB2522 now sits in conference committee. Lets say the Senate accepts the amendments next week and gets it to the governor who then has 5 days to veto it or it becomes law by default. Lets say she gives it the veto stamp and explains why. The house and senate could try an override, but generally override votes don't work out so well. Instead, they allow HB2522 to go through the conference committee where they fix what the governor says she didn't like, then both chambers approve it and it goes back to her desk as HB2522 including changes she didn't like.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    580
    All I can say is if she vetos it she better have a good reason. She has always said she would sign an OC bill if it made it to her desk. Either she is lieing and doesn't want OC or she is hoping an OC bill never makes it that far. If she likes her job very much then time will tell if she want another term by standing by what she says.
    Last edited by Bullbuster; 04-27-2012 at 10:51 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuster View Post
    All I can say is if she vetos it she better have a good reason. She has always said she would sign an OC bill if it made it to her desk. Either she is lieing and doesn't want OC or she is hoping an OC bill never makes it that far. If she likes her job very much then time will tell if she want another term by standing by what she says.
    There has been a bunch of maneuvering so I might not be 100% up-to-date on everything. But a good reason for her to veto one of the bills is that it was gutted from the original bill to the point that the only "OC" bit is to allow you to OC on your personal property. To me that would be reason to veto that bill and send it back for them to fix and make a real OC bill.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    There has been a bunch of maneuvering so I might not be 100% up-to-date on everything. But a good reason for her to veto one of the bills is that it was gutted from the original bill to the point that the only "OC" bit is to allow you to OC on your personal property. To me that would be reason to veto that bill and send it back for them to fix and make a real OC bill.
    That particular bill (HB2522) is currently sitting in conference committee.

    After a bill goes to the governor, I don't believe there is any way for it to be changed. With a veto, all they would be able to do is try an override or fix up the other bill and send it on.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    19
    Seen SB1733 on the senate agenda today, anyone know anything?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Harwell View Post
    Seen SB1733 on the senate agenda today, anyone know anything?
    SB1733 was not brought up today, it is important to note that HB2522 has been scheduled for conference committee tomorrow.

    Now why would we schedule HB2522 for conference committee tomorrow if we were planning on passing SB1733 today. Since the conference committee meets between 8:00am and 10:00 am, and the Senate session starts at 9:30 I don't know that SB1733 will be heard tomorrow either.

    I do think that there may be some things at work of which we are not aware going on though.

    I would say wait and see what happens with HB2522 before we go having knee jerk reactions and start burning up phone lines.

  12. #12
    Regular Member russcook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    114
    SB1733 passed the state Senate 33-10, with the House amendments.
    Open Carry now goes to the Governor's desk.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owasso, OK
    Posts
    30

    Sb 1733

    Quote Originally Posted by JR65 View Post
    I think it would be useful if someone could post briefly as to where the OC bills stand in the OK Legislature as of today (April 5, 2012) and where they have to go before they become law.
    SB1733 passed in the OK Senate 33-10 on 5/10/12.

  14. #14
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    662
    Just for verification -- SB1733 turns a "concealed handgun license" to a "handgun license?" And for further clarification, how is the "must inform" statute affected?

  15. #15
    Regular Member russcook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    Just for verification -- SB1733 turns a "concealed handgun license" to a "handgun license?" And for further clarification, how is the "must inform" statute affected?
    Must inform at first opportunity, instead of first contact.

  16. #16
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    662
    Very nice. My congratulations to the State of Oklahoma! (Provided your governor signs it of course). Granted, why should we need a permission slip to exercise a right -- but I think this is a good step forward. Now, if your neighbor to the south would get with the program.

  17. #17
    Regular Member russcook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    Very nice. My congratulations to the State of Oklahoma! (Provided your governor signs it of course). Granted, why should we need a permission slip to exercise a right -- but I think this is a good step forward. Now, if your neighbor to the south would get with the program.
    Next session we'll push for Constitutional Carry. Since the Governor has already signed the bill that authorizes concealed carry in Oklahoma by
    residents of Constitutional Carry states, we should be able to make a case.

  18. #18
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by russcook View Post
    Next session we'll push for Constitutional Carry. Since the Governor has already signed the bill that authorizes concealed carry in Oklahoma by
    residents of Constitutional Carry states, we should be able to make a case.
    That is an excellent prospect. When does the new law go into effect if it is signed?

  19. #19
    Regular Member russcook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    That is an excellent prospect. When does the new law go into effect if it is signed?
    November

  20. #20
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by russcook View Post
    November
    SO CLOSE -- Im planning a visit in a month or so

  21. #21
    Regular Member zekester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Uvalde, Texas
    Posts
    665
    I will be driving through soon.....if it is signed, at least I can get a flat and not worry about it!!!...lol
    Last edited by zekester; 05-10-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    GOD gave me rights!!!....The Constitutuion just confirms it!!

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,605
    Does The New Open Carry Bill NOT Include a Provision for Enhanced Preemption?

    aadvark

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    Does The New Open Carry Bill NOT Include a Provision for Enhanced Preemption?

    aadvark
    Yes, yes it does. The state has preemption so localities cannot make their own laws with respect to open carry and can not cite for disorderly conduct type things for solely open carrying.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Duncan, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    67
    LEO also cant disarm or phycially restrain you during a stop if your OC unless there is reasonable articulate suspicion of other criminal activity or fail to show your license.
    Last edited by MM_45; 05-11-2012 at 12:47 AM.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,797
    This will be nice, once I get back from my extended trip I'll be able to finally OC!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •