• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oklahoma OC Bills-Where do they stand as of today? 4-5-2012

JR65

I think it would be useful if someone could post briefly as to where the OC bills stand in the OK Legislature as of today (April 5, 2012) and where they have to go before they become law.

hrdware

HB2522 has passed the House and the Senate public safety committee. However the Senate public safety committee gutted the bill and replaced it with Senator Russell SB1092 which didn't get a hearing in committee.

SB1733 has passed the Senate and the House public safety committee. The House public safety committee amended the bill with the engrossed text of HB2522. (These bills were very similar so no big changes)

Each bill has to pass the chamber it is currently in, then go back to the opposite full chamber for approval of the amendments, then they can go to the governors desk.

At some time, a conference committee may be called to reconcile these 2 bills into a single bill that would have to be approved by each full chamber, then go to the governors desk.

JR65

Thanks for the reply. I assume you'll post the hearing dates as soon as you find them, as usual-thanks for all the informative stuff you post.

I heard about a shooting in Tulsa from a friend. He said the OC bills have been "shelved". Is this true or is he just wetting his pants unnecessarily?

hrdware

Thanks for the reply. I assume you'll post the hearing dates as soon as you find them, as usual-thanks for all the informative stuff you post.

I heard about a shooting in Tulsa from a friend. He said the OC bills have been "shelved". Is this true or is he just wetting his pants unnecessarily?

Pants wetting. There have been hearings since this happened. The known hearings have already happened. Only time we will know something far enough in advance to post will be if it makes it to conference committee, but when anything of substance happens, I will post it here on OCDO.

Peacemaker65

HB2522 is worthless now. It has been completely twisted into something else.

SB1733 was sitting idle and suddenly got traction and was voted on and overwhelmingly passed the House but with a very minor Amendment. What this means, according to Randy Bass's office, is that the Senate has about a month to consider the 4th reading and vote on SB1733. Correct me if I am wrong but I think that this bill is still a good OC bill (although not Constitutional carry) and in theory it should be as good as gold. But, we all know how theory works in politics. Anything could happen at any time but I think we are as close to we have ever been to getting OC considering we have a governor on record stating she would sign a good OC bill into law.

Any experts have a better understanding, feel free to enlighten me.

hrdware

SB1733 had big amendments in the house. SB1733 is now what HB2522 was when it left the House. OK2A has been told that the Senate will accept the amendments and vote on it. Once they vote on fourth reading it will go to the governors desk.

Now that I think about what happened with SB1733 and HB2522, what happened was good because HB2522 now sits in conference committee. Lets say the Senate accepts the amendments next week and gets it to the governor who then has 5 days to veto it or it becomes law by default. Lets say she gives it the veto stamp and explains why. The house and senate could try an override, but generally override votes don't work out so well. Instead, they allow HB2522 to go through the conference committee where they fix what the governor says she didn't like, then both chambers approve it and it goes back to her desk as HB2522 including changes she didn't like.

Bullbuster

All I can say is if she vetos it she better have a good reason. She has always said she would sign an OC bill if it made it to her desk. Either she is lieing and doesn't want OC or she is hoping an OC bill never makes it that far. If she likes her job very much then time will tell if she want another term by standing by what she says.

Last edited:

Aknazer

All I can say is if she vetos it she better have a good reason. She has always said she would sign an OC bill if it made it to her desk. Either she is lieing and doesn't want OC or she is hoping an OC bill never makes it that far. If she likes her job very much then time will tell if she want another term by standing by what she says.

There has been a bunch of maneuvering so I might not be 100% up-to-date on everything. But a good reason for her to veto one of the bills is that it was gutted from the original bill to the point that the only "OC" bit is to allow you to OC on your personal property. To me that would be reason to veto that bill and send it back for them to fix and make a real OC bill.

hrdware

There has been a bunch of maneuvering so I might not be 100% up-to-date on everything. But a good reason for her to veto one of the bills is that it was gutted from the original bill to the point that the only "OC" bit is to allow you to OC on your personal property. To me that would be reason to veto that bill and send it back for them to fix and make a real OC bill.

That particular bill (HB2522) is currently sitting in conference committee.

After a bill goes to the governor, I don't believe there is any way for it to be changed. With a veto, all they would be able to do is try an override or fix up the other bill and send it on.

hrdware

Seen SB1733 on the senate agenda today, anyone know anything?

SB1733 was not brought up today, it is important to note that HB2522 has been scheduled for conference committee tomorrow.

Now why would we schedule HB2522 for conference committee tomorrow if we were planning on passing SB1733 today. Since the conference committee meets between 8:00am and 10:00 am, and the Senate session starts at 9:30 I don't know that SB1733 will be heard tomorrow either.

I do think that there may be some things at work of which we are not aware going on though.

I would say wait and see what happens with HB2522 before we go having knee jerk reactions and start burning up phone lines.

russcook

SB1733 passed the state Senate 33-10, with the House amendments.
Open Carry now goes to the Governor's desk.

Brandon9mm

Sb 1733

I think it would be useful if someone could post briefly as to where the OC bills stand in the OK Legislature as of today (April 5, 2012) and where they have to go before they become law.

SB1733 passed in the OK Senate 33-10 on 5/10/12.

acmariner99

Just for verification -- SB1733 turns a "concealed handgun license" to a "handgun license?" And for further clarification, how is the "must inform" statute affected?

russcook

Just for verification -- SB1733 turns a "concealed handgun license" to a "handgun license?" And for further clarification, how is the "must inform" statute affected?

Must inform at first opportunity, instead of first contact.

acmariner99

Very nice. My congratulations to the State of Oklahoma! (Provided your governor signs it of course). Granted, why should we need a permission slip to exercise a right -- but I think this is a good step forward. Now, if your neighbor to the south would get with the program.

russcook

Very nice. My congratulations to the State of Oklahoma! (Provided your governor signs it of course). Granted, why should we need a permission slip to exercise a right -- but I think this is a good step forward. Now, if your neighbor to the south would get with the program.

Next session we'll push for Constitutional Carry. Since the Governor has already signed the bill that authorizes concealed carry in Oklahoma by
residents of Constitutional Carry states, we should be able to make a case.

acmariner99

Next session we'll push for Constitutional Carry. Since the Governor has already signed the bill that authorizes concealed carry in Oklahoma by
residents of Constitutional Carry states, we should be able to make a case.

That is an excellent prospect. When does the new law go into effect if it is signed?