• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting Article On Video Taping

H

Herr Heckler Koch

The article includes this gem;

"But how can you tell if an officer asking for ID has reasonable suspicion? Police need reasonable suspicion to detain you, so one way to tell if they have reasonable suspicion is to determine if you're free to go. You can do this by saying “Officer, are you detaining me, or am I free to go?”

xmanhockey7

Huh? Really?

Twelve states—California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington—require the consent of all parties for you to record a conversation.

stainless1911

Banned
I'd rather set 100 guilty men free than convict one innocent. That is something I have quoted from the beginning.

Why should it be so difficult, in our technological age, to require the officers to have video running at all times? Some of us do that to protect ourselves.

Last edited:

WilDChilD

It should be a law that if a crime done in presence of police is not on video, then it can't be prosecuted.

This might be the dumbest quote on OCDO. I see where your going with it but come on.

To all the people that are reading this trying decide if you want to be an OCer: We dont all think like Stainless!

PDinDetroit

How convenient to cherry pick a statement to suit our interests.

Seriously Dude?

You recently posted an apology about how your lack of judgement may have looked bad on the OC Community, yet here you are making Public Judgements about others. I HIGHLY SUGGEST you consider not posting for a while.

WilDChilD

I dont want to turn this tread into a bash stainless thread (like most other threads are) but so many people have done so much work to show the general public OCers are normal people with normal minds. I have meet some very smart and friendly people at OC events (I know I havent been to many). Autosurgeon (and others, I just remeber meeting him at the lansing Gander Mountian) give up their OWN time on the weekends to do OC seminars. Q is at the capitol all the time fighting for every inch of ground we can get back. Many (too many to list) plan dinners and events at parks. And we all tell every person that will listen to come to this site and MOC to read and learn.

I guess what I am trying to say is every comment counts. You never know who is reading this and going to be turned off to OC because they will lump us all in one group. We need to act like the the article on taping said. Calm, cool, and collected. I dont want to refer family and friends here only to have them tell me we are all crazy. We need all the support we can get.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Huh? Really?

"Twelve states—California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington—require the consent of all parties for you to record a conversation."

You forgot the rest of it.

"However, all but 2 of these states—Massachusetts and Illinois—have an “expectation of privacy provision” to their all-party laws that courts have ruled does not apply to on-duty police (or anyone in public). In other words, it’s technically legal in those 48 states to openly record on-duty police."

Bronson

Huh? Really?

Yes, really...but only if you are recording a conversation that you are NOT participating in.

750.539c Eavesdropping upon private conversation.
Sec. 539c.

Any person who is present or who is not present during a private conversation and who wilfully uses any device to eavesdrop upon the conversation without the consent of all parties thereto, or who knowingly aids, employs or procures another person to do the same in violation of this section, is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment in a state prison for not more than 2 years or by a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.

750.539a Definitions.
Sec. 539a.
As used in sections 539a to 539i:
(2) “Eavesdrop” or “eavesdropping” means to overhear, record, amplify or transmit any part of the private discourse of others without the permission of all persons engaged in the discourse. Neither this definition or any other provision of this act shall modify or affect any law or regulation concerning interception, divulgence or recording of messages transmitted by communications common carriers.

Bronson

Tucker6900

Other than a few errors, its a good article.

I have recently been invited to a permit to carry class as an advisor for peoples rights while carrying, or not, as far as recording police, not answering questions, etc. This article will be good reading material for the class