• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I Want to Open Carry

WolfSpirit292

Hey all, I have my CCW and have been conceal carrying for a couple years now. However, lately I've decided I would much perfer to be able to open carry. Trying to conceal on my body is really tough. I've had many people make suggestions for me and try to give me some new options, but there's like only one or two things that work- one of which involves carrying off body and I HATE that. Now that our weather is going to warm up, I've been thinking about open carrying.

My problem is... frankly I'm nervous about the whole thing. I know the law, I know I can legally carry everywhere I normally would. But I'm worried about any kind of confrintation- especially involving the PD. It just makes me nervous. And I know that if I'm nervous, my body language will give that away, only making it worse for myself.

So, does anyone have any advice for me? I'm just starting to carry openly around my yard- and my mom's- but I want to take it to the next level and just be able to carry without worrying that I'm off-body carrying, or that my concealment may fail, or being completely uncomfortable in the way in which I have to conceal.

Thanks in advance.

ADulay

Well, if you're new to open carry or carrying in any condition, why not just go OWB and throw a cover garment (shirt) on?

Works well. Is comfortable. Easy access. And if you feel the need to open carry, just take your cover garment off!

This man has an H&K .40, a Glock 30 (45ACP) and two spare mags on him, all on the belt and out of sight.

Don't make this any more difficult than it needs to be.

You don't have to put guns in your pants to go out in public!!

AD

FishFryFriday-122311-2.JPG

WolfSpirit292

Doesn't work for me. Female with extra fluff. I have a hard time doing any concealment with any type of positive result. Like I said in my OP, I've had many people try to help me. The one thing that works- outside off body carry- is using a belly band under the chest and having the gun under my arm. Not comfy for long periods of time. But it works.

But, anyway. My concealment issues are a whole different animal. I'm just looking to make things easier on myself by open carrying. The summer months it would be especially useful.

As far as not needing to put a gun on to go out in public... I always have my gun with me. It's just part of who I am, and apart of my life being proactive in my safety- as I'm sure everyone else on here that carries feels.

xmanhockey7

Hey all, I have my CCW and have been conceal carrying for a couple years now. However, lately I've decided I would much perfer to be able to open carry. Trying to conceal on my body is really tough. I've had many people make suggestions for me and try to give me some new options, but there's like only one or two things that work- one of which involves carrying off body and I HATE that. Now that our weather is going to warm up, I've been thinking about open carrying.

My problem is... frankly I'm nervous about the whole thing. I know the law, I know I can legally carry everywhere I normally would. But I'm worried about any kind of confrintation- especially involving the PD. It just makes me nervous. And I know that if I'm nervous, my body language will give that away, only making it worse for myself.

So, does anyone have any advice for me? I'm just starting to carry openly around my yard- and my mom's- but I want to take it to the next level and just be able to carry without worrying that I'm off-body carrying, or that my concealment may fail, or being completely uncomfortable in the way in which I have to conceal.

Thanks in advance.

I understand where you're coming from, I was nervous about OC as well. I started out by ocing in my house then to the mail box, then to Steak n Shake where I frequented fairly often with friends, and just to more and more places. The more I OC'd the more comfortable I got with it. Just give it some time. Keep doing what you're doing and your next step may being going to a public place that you're comfortable with. I found being with friends helped me (probably because the attention wasn't just on me and I could direct my attention to them instead of standing there alone thinking about people staring at me).

PistolPackingMomma

Doesn't work for me. Female with extra fluff. I have a hard time doing any concealment with any type of positive result. Like I said in my OP, I've had many people try to help me. The one thing that works- outside off body carry- is using a belly band under the chest and having the gun under my arm. Not comfy for long periods of time. But it works.

But, anyway. My concealment issues are a whole different animal. I'm just looking to make things easier on myself by open carrying. The summer months it would be especially useful.

As far as not needing to put a gun on to go out in public... I always have my gun with me. It's just part of who I am, and apart of my life being proactive in my safety- as I'm sure everyone else on here that carries feels.

First of all, welcome!

Second; I think it's great you want to move on to OCing. It is a little nerve wracking the first couple of times, but you will get used to it, I promise. It helps to OC with a buddy, so if you have a friend who also carries, spend the day walking around town together. Or find a local coffee/breakfast meet of like minded folks in your area.

After a while, you'll feel more comfortable, and you'll realize how so very few people actually even notice! One of our members, MKEgal, has several videos of herself OCing around her town and most folks are pretty oblivious to it.

As to your concern about the police, it is rational to be concerned. The best advice I can give you is to learn the laws as best you can, learn the "rules" for interacting with police (Rule #1. Don't talk to them!) and carry a video or voice recorder with you. Turn it on and carry it or wear it (depending on your device) when you are out and about. It's helpful if you have a negative encounter with cops or civilians, to give you more evidence than "he said she said."

Lastly, be confident in yourself. And have a good holster!

(P.S., some good law material to start with is Terry v. Ohio. This is useful to know no matter where you live.)

Also, watch this video. It's a bit long, but worth every second.
[video=youtube;6wXkI4t7nuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc[/video]

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There's a lot of friendly, knowledgeable folks here :)

WolfSpirit292

Thank you both for your replies! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was nervous. I'll just continue to slowly start trying to carry more places in the open. Unfortunatly we don't really know any other people who carry- just my hubby and I. But he's unsure about open carrying. He doesn't even want me to do it at my mother's. But hopefully I can get some people to go out with me on the days I do it. It would certainly help.

JSlack7851

Not talking to police should be a rule of thumb, not a absolute in every situation. If the first time you feel like your getting railroaded,,, then ask for a lawyer b/4 any more questioning.

You might also learn Terry vs. Ohio from cover to cover to start with, move on to Disorderly Conduct and Inducing a Panic. Open Carry 101.

You never said anything about your voice recorder. You need one.

You have to be smarter than LEO that harass you. In most cases when I've been questioned, they try to fill you with BS and then in some cases try to get you to cover it up. Well, if LEO deprive you of your civil rights to open carry, under color of law, is a federal offence. under 18USC 242, 18 USC 245, and 42 USC 1983.

You could also come to a Meet & Greet, lots of food, good people, and enough knowlege and wisdom to fill a library:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/events/370328753009650/

I could go on, but let me know when you've learned this and we'll move on to Hibell vs. Sixth, and giving up Identification...The significance of Heller vs. DC, and McDonald vs. Chicago

Anyone who wants to come PM me your face book name and I'll send you invites. I'm not sure if you can get in if you don't have a FB account.

ADulay

Thank you both for your replies! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was nervous. I'll just continue to slowly start trying to carry more places in the open. Unfortunatly we don't really know any other people who carry- just my hubby and I. But he's unsure about open carrying. He doesn't even want me to do it at my mother's. But hopefully I can get some people to go out with me on the days I do it. It would certainly help.

Wolf,

Several others here have already mentioned that the more you open carry, the more comfortable you'll be with it and your daily confidence will also increase.

Pretty soon that initial apprehension will be gone and you'll be a bonified open carry person with none of the baggage that ALL new carriers bring with them.

I was also in that same situation. At first I thought everybody and their brother was staring at me. In a month or so, I don't even bother to see if anybody is looking now. It's just a normal, daily thing now!

Good luck with your open carry. I still find it MUCH better than concealed carry, especially when carrying 24/7.

AD