• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any numbers I can call or places I can visit for OC information?

chatman_55

I am a non CHL Oregonian that is interested in OC while hiking. I've read a lot of the laws on this and it seems as long as I am licensed to hunt or fish and on my way to do it then it is fine. I just wanted to see if there is some place I can go or call, without terribly inconveniencing people with far better things to do that can give me straight forward answers so I won't be second guessing myself the whole time.

Thank you in advance for any helpful answers.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
This forum is the place you can visit. You can check out the Oregon open carry pamphlet for a single place with a collection of relevant information. Other than that feel free to ask us any questions you may have and we'll attempt to answer them.

hermannr

I am a non CHL Oregonian that is interested in OC while hiking. I've read a lot of the laws on this and it seems as long as I am licensed to hunt or fish and on my way to do it then it is fine. I just wanted to see if there is some place I can go or call, without terribly inconveniencing people with far better things to do that can give me straight forward answers so I won't be second guessing myself the whole time.

Thank you in advance for any helpful answers.

You do not need any license to OC in Oregon...however, without a CHL you need to be careful of government buildings and some local governments...Portland, Beverton, Tigard, Astoria, Newport and Salem come to mind restrict LOADED OC. You can still OC without a license, just not loaded...mag has to be out of a semi-auto, cartridges out of a revolver. I know there are a couple more (mostly near Portland, Oregon City? Independence? I think...), I also know Eugene, and Gresham are not restrictive. To be safe, until you have your CHL, look in the town ordinances before you carry condition one. When you have your CHL you can ignore the local ordinances.

BTW: You can OC after you have your CHL, and ignore the local restrictions.

Last edited: