• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why does it take longer for Kentucky to process the CDWL than Ohio?

Midwest

I was reading another forum about how long it takes to get a concealed carry permit in Ohio. There you go through a 12 hour course, you get the certificate the same day. Take it to the sheriff, go through the process and get the permit in a matter of days.

One person took the 12 hour course on a Saturday, did the range time Sunday, took the certificate to the Sheriff Department Monday and received the CCW in the mail Wednesday.

My question is three parts.

Why can't the certificate be issued on the spot as soon as you pass the required course in KY?

Is there any legislation or effort in the works to speed the process up in KY?

Thanks

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Oh, when I read the thread title, I thought it was asking something different.

I was gonna say because they're busy making better bourbon. :)

flb_78

Kentucky's licensing system is much faster than Texas's system. At one time, it was a 6 month wait to get the license.