• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CERT Class Open Carry

The Big Guy

TBG,

Thanks for your efforts on this. Your success with City of Henderson was a large part of what reassured me that it was possible for one man to make a difference. I tell everyone I know about the modified parks signs and such. When I am in the area, I make it a point to take my kids to the CoH parks, 'cause I can. Thanks to you.
Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

The efforts with the City of Henderson only proves that persistence pays off but only when dealing with reasonable people. The City officials decided that even though they did not like it, they legally had no leg to stand on and did not intend to waste time and tax payer money to defend an indefensible position. This has happened in other cities as well. Clark County has made a stand, back against the wall, don't confuse me with the facts my minds made up, position. In other words you cannot make people who have decided to be unreasonable see reason. This is going to take an all out legal fight.

TBG

ManInBlack

The NRA has their uses. They're a great gun club, and they are the go-to group for gun safety programs such as Eddie Eagle.

The problem is that when it comes to the war on civil rights, they are The Man Behind the Armor-Plated Desk.

Sure the NRA have its uses: politicians get to use the NRA's endorsement to falsely claim they are pro-2a to the good Republican sheeple in their districts.

The Big Guy

Nvfac

Don Turner has asked for anyone who has commumicated with the DA's office (Clark County), and I would toss in Metro as well, with regard to opening up public buildings and parks, please forward to him the original letters/emails and any response recieved. I will be forwarding mine to him on Monday.

For those in counties other than clark, I would send him your stuff as well. His intention is to gather all evidence and use it to procede. I'm going to send him all of my Henderson stuff as well, as an example of what has happened on these issues. NHP, DMV, Sparks, Boulder City, Henderson and so on. The wins are important as they can use those as leverage against the holdouts.

His email is don@nvfac.org

TBG

Last edited:

usmcmustang

Don Turner has asked for anyone who has commumicated with the DA's office (Clark County), and I would toss in Metro as well, with regard to opening up public buildings and parks, please forward to him the original letters/emails and any response recieved. I will be forwarding mine to him on Monday.

For those in counties other than clark, I would send him your stuff as well. His intention is to gather all evidence and use it to procede. I'm going to send him all of my Henderson stuff as well, as an example of what has happened on these issues. NHP, DMV, Sparks, Boulder City, Henderson and so on. The wins are important as they can use those as leverage against the holdouts.

His email is don@nvfac.org

TBG

I'll get an email off to Mr. Turner this afternoon.

usmcmustang

I'll get an email off to Mr. Turner this afternoon.

April 14, 2012

Dear Mr. Turner,

My name is **** ****** and I understand you are interested in gathering communications relative to "problems" associated with citizens' open carrying in Public buildings here in Clark County.

Proceeding under that assumption, please be aware of the following:

My wife, ******* ********, has recently corresponded (email) with the Public Information Office of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department as follows:

April 11, 2012 in an email to John M. Sheahan, Sergeant, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police, Office of Public Information, tel. 702-828-4082, email j3989s@lvmpd.com, my wife wrote:

[FONT=&quot]"...please cite your authority by which you or any other person can prohibit me from entering any of LVMPD's public buildings while lawfully open carrying my firearm."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To which Sergeant Sheahan responded on April 11, 2012:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

"...NRS 202.3673 does indeed prohibit anyone except law enforcement personnel from wearing/carrying a concealed firearm into a police facility. Whether concealed or not, we enforce this NRS to include all persons entering a police facility wearing a firearm. It is our position that we are following the spirit of NRS 202.3673 by asserting our right to maintain a safe work environment for both our employees and visitors. Signage to this effect is located here, and at most government buildings throughout Clark County. Should an armed citizen disregard our request to leave the premises, they may be cited or arrested for trespassing."

Should you require further information, you may contact me by return email or at telephone ***-***-****.

Sincerely,

ed2276

Yeah, that whole lvmpd pio release about them enforcing a concealed carry restriction on open carry is some ludicrous stuff. I think that is known as "running roughshod".
Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

I think it would be a good idea for all who open carry to get an official copy of that PIO release. It would come in handy if one of us should be unlawfully arrested in the future. It is an admission by LVMPD that it is their policy to intentionally violate the law and maliciously prosecute people they know have broken no law.

It is also another reason the DOJ should come in and investigate Metro.

usmcmustang

I think it would be a good idea for all who open carry to get an official copy of that PIO release.

Well, here's who said it in his OFFICIAL CAPACITY - John M. Sheahan, Sergeant, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police, Office of Public Information, tel. 702-828-4082, email j3989s@lvmpd.com

...and here's what he WENT ON THE RECORD with in a written communication to a citizen who inquired -

"...NRS 202.3673 does indeed prohibit anyone except law enforcement personnel from wearing/carrying a concealed firearm into a police facility. Whether concealed or not, we enforce this NRS to include all persons entering a police facility wearing a firearm. It is our position that we are following the spirit of NRS 202.3673 by asserting our right to maintain a safe work environment for both our employees and visitors. Signage to this effect is located here, and at most government buildings throughout Clark County. Should an armed citizen disregard our request to leave the premises, they may be cited or arrested for trespassing."

Merlin

I know this is OT but I find it odd that;
LVMPD has a top level domain of .com, kinda implies they are a .COMmercial enterprise.
I would have expected a .gov domain, you know one that implies they are a .GOVernment entity.
Heck, even .org would be a better domain, since they are an .ORGanization.

sorry.....carry on ;~)

Oh, don't even get me started. As an IT person, and an admin of an ISP, I manage a dozen or so DNS servers. It bugs the hell out of me that government entities are using .coms. Wrong wrong wrong.

Any government entity should be under the domain heirarchy of their parent municipality. Clark county used to be *.co.clark.nv.us (not .gov, but I am ok with .us for US based gov agencies). Now they are ClarkCountyNV.gov. Not a .com at least, but still. Should be heirarchical, that's the point of DNS.

I've just participated in the hijacking of my own thread. Bad me.

usmcmustang

April 14, 2012

Dear Mr. Turner,

My name is **** ****** and I understand you are interested in gathering communications relative to "problems" associated with citizens' open carrying in Public buildings here in Clark County.

Proceeding under that assumption, please be aware of the following:

My wife, ******* ********, has recently corresponded (email) with the Public Information Office of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department as follows:

April 11, 2012 in an email to John M. Sheahan, Sergeant, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police, Office of Public Information, tel. 702-828-4082, email j3989s@lvmpd.com, my wife wrote:

"...please cite your authority by which you or any other person can prohibit me from entering any of LVMPD's public buildings while lawfully open carrying my firearm."

To which Sergeant Sheahan responded on April 11, 2012:

Should you require further information, you may contact me by return email or at telephone ***-***-****.

Sincerely,

To which Mr. Turner replied...

"Thank you,This is exactly the type of material we need."

FTG-05

I don't live in NV, so sorry for the hijack:

Kudos to all you guys working to get this resolved.

Little wins, gentlemen, little wins. That's how we'll win the war. And you guys are making it happen!

Thanks and good luck!

usmcmustang

(As you all know)... I faxed a letter to the AG's offices in Carson City and Las Vegas as follows:

Dear Attorney General,

The Public Information Office of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department recently released the following statement relative to citizens lawfully openly carrying firearms into PUBLIC buildings: "...NRS 202.3673 does indeed prohibit anyone except law enforcement personnel from wearing/carrying a concealed firearm into a police facility. Whether concealed or not, we enforce this NRS to include all persons entering a police facility wearing a firearm. It is our position that we are following the spirit of NRS 202.3673 by asserting our right to maintain a safe work environment for both our employees and visitors. Signage to this effect is located here, and at most government buildings throughout Clark County. Should an armed citizen disregard our request to leave the premises, they may be cited or arrested for trespassing."

Is that the AG's interpretation of NRS 202.3673 as well?

And this was the response in a letter dated April 13, 2012 by the Attorney General (well, not really Ms. Masto herself but one of her "underlings," a Ms. Julie Fox-McCullough):

"Re: Interpretation of NRS 202.3673

Dear Mr. ******:

I'm writing in response to your fax regarding your concerns with the Interpretation of NRS 202.3673.

To clear up any confusion the Nevada Attorney General's Office does not have legal jurisdiction over your concerns. This office represents the State of Nevada or any officer, board, commission, appointee or department of the State. Nevada law prohibits anyone from this office from rendering legal assistance, legal advice and/or representing anyone other than our assigned agencies, boards and/or commissions. Therefore, we are unable to provide legal advice, opinions and/or interpret Nevada law for private citizens.

The following agency/agencies may have the authority and jurisdiction to assist you in filing your complaint about your attorney. State of Nevada Legislative Council Bureau, 555 E. Washington Ave #4400, Las Vegas, NV 89101. (702)486-2800.

Should you wish to contact a private attorney regarding this matter, the State Bar of Nevada sponsors the Nevada Lawyer Referral and Information Service and can be reached at (702)382-0504, or toll free in Nevada at (800)789-5747.

I hope you find the above-referenced information useful.

Sincerely,

bla, bla, bla"

So... looks like the AG is saying the Clark County Sheriff is on his own and may interpret State law any way he deems fit. He's within a "jurisdiction" of his own and is "GOD" there.

This letter is obviously a FORM letter also. The third paragraph makes reference to filing a "complaint about (my) attorney." WTF is that about?

Okay boys and girls... what's next? Who's ready to go out and get arrested? What "support" do/will we have from the "so-called" gun rights groups?

Last edited:

Rollbar

Who is a life member of the subscription service NRA-maybe they can help :shocker:

Also, PM me the entire correspondence and I can post it on NFC http://www.nvfac.org and se what they come up with. I will also post the link to this post there so they can follow up.

I can also e-mail the Western Area Director and ask for his thoughts (great guy IMHO). I know they are going to a dinner soon (if memory serves) & I think the NRA will be there, maybe they might be a good time for them to help get support etc.

Jim

The Big Guy

And this was the response in a letter dated April 13, 2012 by the Attorney General (well, not really Ms. Masto herself but one of her "underlings," a Ms. Julie Fox-McCullough):

"Re: Interpretation of NRS 202.3673

Dear Mr. ******:

I'm writing in response to your fax regarding your concerns with the Interpretation of NRS 202.3673.

To clear up any confusion the Nevada Attorney General's Office does not have legal jurisdiction over your concerns. This office represents the State of Nevada or any officer, board, commission, appointee or department of the State. Nevada law prohibits anyone from this office from rendering legal assistance, legal advice and/or representing anyone other than our assigned agencies, boards and/or commissions. Therefore, we are unable to provide legal advice, opinions and/or interpret Nevada law for private citizens.

The following agency/agencies may have the authority and jurisdiction to assist you in filing your complaint about your attorney. State of Nevada Legislative Council Bureau, 555 E. Washington Ave #4400, Las Vegas, NV 89101. (702)486-2800.

Should you wish to contact a private attorney regarding this matter, the State Bar of Nevada sponsors the Nevada Lawyer Referral and Information Service and can be reached at (702)382-0504, or toll free in Nevada at (800)789-5747.

I hope you find the above-referenced information useful.

Sincerely,

bla, bla, bla"

So... looks like the AG is saying the Clark County Sheriff is on his own and may interpret State law any way he deems fit. He's within a "jurisdiction" of his own and is "GOD" there.

This letter is obviously a FORM letter also. The third paragraph makes reference to filing a "complaint about (my) attorney." WTF is that about?

Okay boys and girls... what's next? Who's ready to go out and get arrested? What "support" do/will we have from the "so-called" gun rights groups?

We have gone through this before. The AG will not hold herself responsible to the citizens, only other officials. This despite the fact that the AG is an elected office. She did answer the local DA's office regarding preemption and is posted elsewhere on this forum. If you want an answer to your question, you must get the DA to ask it of her.

TBG

Rollbar

OK, I copied the PDF's and posted them on NFAC (I left out the personal information of the inquirer). I told them I have a copy of the PDF (if needed so they can at least show the letter head from the AG to show realism).

IMHO-It would be a great thing to take to the NRA dinner, and maybe get the NRA to help the NFAC handle this w/a letter from each organization and I said as such in a post on the NFAC forum.

We will see.

P.S. I can attest that these letters are authentic, just incase some doubt was stirring of which I doubt there was. Just confirming to all, that is all.

Great job Burl, and thank you,
Jim