• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is the goal of the DPS CC Unit- to become like California?

AH.74

What the hell are they doing? Is whoever is running that unit from California? Is this job justification?

In recent days NM has now dropped FL, VA, AK, KY, MT, SC and WY.

They are out of control and this is now ridiculous.

NM has the strictest CC license requirements that I know of. That should not mean other states' requirements or lack thereof mean nothing. This is backwards progress- more states are now looking at constitutional carry. Apparently that will be unlikely to happen here in our lifetimes.

I thought there was an effort to increase people coming to this state, not to decrease it. I used to think NM's CC license was one of the better ones to have because it was good in so many other states. It looks like that will no longer be the case if all these other states drop NM also.

If they are going to continue down this road they should consider letting non-residents obtain licenses.

This really stinks. There is something rotten in Denmark.

AH.74

Are you saying that Coss has influence over the NM DPS, which is a division of the state police, which is HQ'd in Abq?

I have since learned that SC has live-fire requirements of 50 rounds, which doubles NM's 25. SC also has a time parameter of 8 hours. While it's not the 15 hours required in NM, I know of no other state which even comes close to that.

So- I would like to know exactly how, on what basis, NM is justifying the drop of SC.

If NM is going to drop any state which does not meet it's 15 hour time requirement, it might as well drop all BS pretenses and stop honoring all other states- just like California. And Massachusetts.

elebuttfish

I have been gone for 11 years so I don't know who Cross is. NM has a political theme and it is not overly conservitive. One of my early posts on a different thread was how did all this (law) come about. Who is in charge of those in charge and determine their agenda and you may have your reason for the changes. Someone or some group is behind all this.

AH.74

Coss is the Mayor of SF.

As far as the rest of your comments- exactly. I also speculated in another thread about where the directives for the top brass in the DPS is coming from. They have to be getting something from someone. And that something seems to be no good.

randian

I'm somewhat surprised AZ hasn't been dropped yet, it's not a difficult permit to get. It's rather inexplicable considering FL was dropped.

Reciprocity losses combined with NM's lack of non-resident permits is going to severely complicate people from out of state carrying in NM. I presume that's the point.

AH.74

When I got my AZ license in Sept. 2010 I could have just sent a copy of my NM license, but I thought it would be good to go over there and work with a local instructor, mostly in order to have a local contact.

At the time there was still an 8-hour classroom requirement and live-fire for the in-state training. In July of 2011 both of those requirements were done away with.

I predict AZ will be dropped soon.

elebuttfish

Is DPS an independent state agency that answeres to no one or do they get their marching orders from the Gov. Your requirements are a little over the top. In Washington the only requirement is no criminal record for a permit, and we have open carry allowed as well. Washington has 6 million people and I think 240,000 CC permits, NM has 2 million people and I read somewhere 14,000 permits. I spoke with fellow over the phone and he told me the first time he submitted paper work it was rejected because the guy doing the approval didn't like him, so he did every thing again and with "someones" help it was approved. The fellow I was speaking of is a solid citizen.

Last edited:

AH.74

I'm not sure I would give that a lot of credit. Not to doubt him, but being a shall-issue state it takes a lot of variables out of the equation. Also most people don't interact directly with the DPS people- what reason would he have had to do so?

The DPS is a division of the state police. As such, I do not know exactly where their directives come from but it would seem to me it should be the executive branch- which would mean the Governor's office.

elebuttfish

Yes I understand what you are saying on the 1'st part, I don't know any more than what he said. I just wish ya'll the best of luck and hope it doesn't get worse by the time I get moved back. Granted each state has a reason for different rules and regs but some appear to be just a little unreasonable.

randian

That under-21 rule seems silly. Why drop reciprocity because of that? If you have to, just say you won't recognize permits held by persons under 21 years of age.

kcgunfan

A lot of the rules seem unnecessary. How about the resident alien rule? Why do they lose their right to self-defense?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

AH.74

Exactly, guys- they don't make sense.

I've already started seeing the reaction on other forums where Gary has posted these updates- people saying in effect "If NM won't respect my 2A rights I'll go somewhere else." This state is supposed to be attracting visitors, not giving them reasons to stay away.

I look at it a lot like a drivers' license. I know people don't like that comparison, but I think it's appropriate. In other states 14 and 15 year-olds can get a license. A motor vehicle is a tool, which can have deadly effect if not used properly or the rules are not known. Yet that 14 or 15 year old does not lose his or her ability to drive once they cross into NM from another state.

Same thing with resident aliens- they are here legally, not illegally, and have gone through the process to get their CC or drivers license in another state. That shouldn't mean that magically, they lose all responsibility to be able to cc a handgun properly once crossing the NM border.

The policies are fantasy-based, not reality-based. And that's not the way things should be.

NM is shooting itself in the foot, literally, in the face of progress.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Someone with a green card needs to sue one of these states for refusing to issue to anyone who is not a US Citizen. Resident Aliens are entitled to every right and protection under the constitution, AFAIK.... except for voting.