• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is the goal of the DPS CC Unit- to become like California?

AH.74

Interesting, maybe it was before my time here. Do you guys recall when this was? In any event- very good on him and the person in SD.

If I were in that situation, knowing there is precedent especially, I would give serious thought to pursuing this legally.

randian

Arizona violates the last 3 items in gutshot's reciprocity requirements list. I'm told that Arizona being dropped is just awaiting the formality of an official letter to that effect.

AH.74

Excellent. Thanks for your contributions to this thread, they've been very helpful.

If I were someone (like rogueassie) in that situation I would be contacting SAF.

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
This has been addressed at the highest level within DPS. It is being looked into. I would like to offer more information but for a number of reasons, I can't.

In the meantime, you're welcome - in fact, encouraged to contact the NM DPS SID, CCU for information or to ask any questions you may have.

505-841-8053

Steve Aikens

KYGlockster

Activist Member
The NM DPS website lists six things that may cause a license from another state to not be recognized by NM. They are:

1) Permits issued locally rather than by the state;
2) No fingerprint-based background check;
3) Permits issued to persons under 21 years of age;
4) Permits issued to resident aliens;
5) No classroom (static) training required;
6) No live-fire (dynamic) training required.

Not only does number 4 disqualify Ky, but number 2 would also disqualify us. You do not submit fingerprints to get a Ky license.

If I am remembering correctly, a federal judge recently ruled in OK that they could not refuse a CC permit to a lawful resident alien. So I don't think number 4 would stand in court.

AH.74

This has been addressed at the highest level within DPS. It is being looked into.

Steve- since we've got multiple issues being discussed- what exactly is being addressed, and looked into? The resident alien issue, or the dropping so many other states issue? Or both?

oldbanger

Someone with a green card needs to sue one of these states for refusing to issue to anyone who is not a US Citizen. Resident Aliens are entitled to every right and protection under the constitution, AFAIK.... except for voting.

The Second Amendment Foundation today filed a lawsuit in federal district court in New Mexico challenging that state's prohibition on the issuance of concealed carry permits to legal resident aliens.

According to the SAF complaint, the laws of New Mexico completely prohibit resident legal aliens from the concealed carry of guns, in public, for the purpose of self-defense. In New Mexico, only citizens may have the benefit of an armed defense by concealed carry.

http://saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=401

BobF

AZ Reciprocity Dropped Too

What the hell are they doing? Is whoever is running that unit from California? Is this job justification?

In recent days NM has now dropped FL, VA, AK, KY, MT, SC and WY.

They are out of control and this is now ridiculous.

NM has the strictest CC license requirements that I know of. That should not mean other states' requirements or lack thereof mean nothing. This is backwards progress- more states are now looking at constitutional carry. Apparently that will be unlikely to happen here in our lifetimes.

I thought there was an effort to increase people coming to this state, not to decrease it. I used to think NM's CC license was one of the better ones to have because it was good in so many other states. It looks like that will no longer be the case if all these other states drop NM also.

If they are going to continue down this road they should consider letting non-residents obtain licenses.

This really stinks. There is something rotten in Denmark.

See my post in the Arizona section of this site. NM has dropped reciprocity with Arizona per Mr. Bill Hubbard, the Director of the Special Investigations Division. He stated that Arizona does not have similar CCW requirements as does NM. This is very bad news. I have made him aware that the official NM website does not reflect this decision and that it should be updated ASAP. Bob.
Update: After contacting the Arizona CCW Unit about this problem They contacted the NM CCW Unit and were advised of the cancellation of reciprocity with Arizona. They did not seem to have been notified of the change by NM. They have updated their website but until now the NM website has not been updated to reflect the change.

Last edited:

AH.74

See my post in the Arizona section of this site. NM has dropped reciprocity with Arizona per Mr. Bill Hubbard, the Director of the Special Investigations Division. He stated that Arizona does not have similar CCW requirements as does NM. This is very bad news. I have made him aware that the official NM website does not reflect this decision and that it should be updated ASAP. Bob.

Appreciate the input, Bob. I agree that this is just more terrible news. I really think this is a lot of political BS and job justification. They need to show they're relevant so by god they're making important decisions to keep us safe!

They really don't seem to have considered that there will be very real negative repercussions from these "policy" changes. What a disaster.

BobF

Appreciate the input, Bob. I agree that this is just more terrible news. I really think this is a lot of political BS and job justification. They need to show they're relevant so by god they're making important decisions to keep us safe!

They really don't seem to have considered that there will be very real negative repercussions from these "policy" changes. What a disaster.

The CCW community with permits that are not recognized by NM should make a concerted effort to e-mail the NM Governor to tell her that their CCW laws are causing a large drop in tourists to NM. Their hotels., motels, gas stations, restaurants and stores will suffer as a loss of customers. I know I am cancelling my NM trip I was planning. I, and a lot of my fellow CCWers will not visit NM until their CCW laws are changed. Bob.

P.S. I just visited the NM Governor site and sent her a message concerning the loss of visitors. The contact information is:

http://www.governor.state.nm.us/Contact_the_Governor.aspx

The Office of Governor Susana Martinez is located on the 4th floor of the New Mexico State Capitol in Room 400, and the phone number is (505) 476-2200.

The mailing address is:

Office of the Governor
490 Old Santa Fe Trail
Room 400
Santa Fe, NM 87501

Last edited:

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
Steve- since we've got multiple issues being discussed- what exactly is being addressed, and looked into? The resident alien issue, or the dropping so many other states issue? Or both?
Like I said, I'm not at liberty to tell you all that's being worked on. What I can tell you is we had more discussion with DPS Leadership this morning.

I realize I'm being vague but my intent is to just let you all know that NOTHING that is happened is escaping those of us working of fixing the problems. I want tyou to know we are aware of all the issues and the justification DPS is using to make changes.

It is true that we can't and don't expect to fix everything right away. Try to understand that working with bureaucrats is a slow, difficult process at times.

In the meantime, again, if you have questions - feel free to call DPS at 1-505-841-8053 and ask.

You can also follow Bob's lead and contact the Gov.

Steve Aikens

Last edited:

AH.74

Thanks for touching base, Steve. As always, your time and effort is appreciated.

Last edited:

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
One last note on NM Dropping AZ. See below. AZ has removed the minimum requirements to obtain a license - pretty clear that's not going to fly in NM - or a lot of other states.

Due to changes made to A.R.S. 13-3112 during the 2010 and 2011 legislative sessions, effective July 20, 2011, the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit will no longer approve or renew concealed weapons training programs, training organizations, or firearms-safety instructors.

Amendments to A.R.S. 13-3112 in 2010 added a number of new ways in which an applicant could qualify for a concealed weapons permit through training or experience. These new additions removed the statutory minimum requirements which the Unit used to evaluate and approve training programs. Since there are no statutorily defined minimum requirements, the ability of DPS to evaluate, approve and support training programs has been greatly diminished. For this reason, after July 20, 2011, the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit will no longer update, support or sanction the use of the proprietary firearms-safety training course previously used to train permit holders. Furthermore, DPS will no longer review or approve any lesson plans and will no longer publish or update the “Legal Issues Relating to the Use of Deadly Force” guideline.

Additionally, since changes to A.R.S. 13-3112 made in the 2011 legislative session removed the authority for DPS to approve or authorize instructors and organizations, DPS will discontinue this practice. However, for those that currently hold an approval or authorization, current rules will still govern those approvals or authorizations until expiration pursuant to A.A.C. R13-9-309, which provides that a firearms-safety instructor approval is valid for 5 years from the date of issuance or renewal and the authorization of an instructor who holds a valid concealed weapon permit will expire when his current permit expires.

Steve Aikens

CDinNM

THANKS for keeping us up to speed on this Steve, I look forward to any further information you can supply. I am in hopes that this can all be resolved quickly and soon. Not only does this affect those who would travel through our state, but it certainly affects us in the same manner when traveling through other states. I hope more of the other states we had reciprosity with keep us on their friendly list.

CD