• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Often Do You Practice Draw and Fire Exercises?

How Often Do You Practice Draw and Fire Drills?

• Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Couple of Times a Year

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Monthly

• A Couple of Times a Month

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Daily

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • What's a Draw and Fire Drill?>

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I just got curious how often do you practice draw and fire exercises?
Remember, we aren't talking about live ammunition. Safety is top priority.
Draw and fire exercises should be done with snap caps or unloaded firearms.

Live ammo should be used only when on an appropriate range and safety foremost in mind!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

J_Oliver

Almost every weekend that I'm not at the range practicing. Keeps me on my toes. As well as keeps me proficient with the various holsters I have for various situations.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

since9

Campaign Veteran
Out habit (probably a good one) every time I strap on my holster, I re-check the status of my firearm. To do that, I completely unload it, do a basic breakdown, inspect the barrel, firing pin, ejector pin, the internal working parts of the trigger and hammer, and a couple of other items. Takes about 15 seconds, but I'd rather spot a problem at this stage than when a BG is drawing down on me.

It's at that state, unloaded and sans magazine, that I practice several draw-aim-fire drills.

What I usually do is think of a color and walk into a room. If I spot the color, I'll draw and fire on it. For low-light conditions, I'll think of a shape.

MatieA

Since I no longer shoot at a range with rules; I now shoot at a gravel pit, 300 yards from my house :). My family and I shoot from the holster, and shoot at a bouncing target. Mind you we do keep range safety in mind, and make sure that the target stays in the area that is safe to shoot toward. My landlord owns the pit, and has even come down to watch us shoot, and has mentioned that it looks more fun, and practical then shooting at paper targets at the range.

ZackL

I voted for a couple times a month. However, it is more like a few times a week. Anytime I break down my firearm and clean and oil it I go through probably an hour and a half of draw and fire/house clearing drills. Only completely unloaded after I've broken the firearm down mind you, but I do that fairly often. Out on my live fire range it's probably once to three times a month depending on the amount of time and money I have at the time.