• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal Carry at Normandale Community College? Bloomington MN

Cody Pehrson

I looked this up in Normandales Code of Conduct and could not find anything stating that they "Ban Firearms on Property" but I did find this. And to my interpretation I have my permit to carry making me legal to possess a firearm. then it says "even if legally possessed, in a manner that harms, threatens or causes fear to others." which would fall under disorderly conduct meaning that if I am holstered ( yes I will conceal carry to avoid confrontation even though I would like to open carry...) and do not cause a scene with the firearm ( basically acting like a jackass) I should be good? the only part that I am worried about is the "unauthorized possession"?????? dose that mean I need authorization from Normandale to carry? or is the "authorization" from my Sharif on my permit to carry the authorization? any LEO input or Lawyer interpretation would put my mind at ease before carrying at college.

Normandale: Article II: Proscribed Conduct, Subcategory B (conduct-Rules and Regulations).

12. Illegal or unauthorized possession of firearms, explosives, other weapons, or dangerous chemicals on College premises or use of any such item, even if legally possessed, in a manner that harms, threatens or causes fear to others.

http://catalog.normandale.edu/2116.htm

Last edited:

hermannr

I looked this up in Normandales Code of Conduct and could not find anything stating that they "Ban Firearms on Property" but I did find this. And to my interpretation I have my permit to carry making me legal to possess a firearm. then it says "even if legally possessed, in a manner that harms, threatens or causes fear to others." which would fall under disorderly conduct meaning that if I am holstered ( yes I will conceal carry to avoid confrontation even though I would like to open carry...) and do not cause a scene with the firearm ( basically acting like a jackass) I should be good? the only part that I am worried about is the "unauthorized possession"?????? dose that mean I need authorization from Normandale to carry? or is the "authorization" from my Sharif on my permit to carry the authorization? any LEO input or Lawyer interpretation would put my mind at ease before carrying at college.

Normandale: Article II: Proscribed Conduct, Subcategory B (conduct-Rules and Regulations).

12. Illegal or unauthorized possession of firearms, explosives, other weapons, or dangerous chemicals on College premises or use of any such item, even if legally possessed, in a manner that harms, threatens or causes fear to others.

http://catalog.normandale.edu/2116.htm

Do they have a form for you to fill out for "authorized" posession. The way I read that is don't harm anyone, point your weapon at anyone (except in SD) and you should be good to go. OC is not banned, but that depends on the administrations interperptation of what can and can not "cause fear".

In Cassad in WA state courts it was stated that proper OC is not something that should cause fear in a "reasonable man".

robdoar

You need to understand there are 2 sets of "Rules" you're dealing with.

1. MN law.
There is nothing in MN law saying you can't carry at a college. The same rules apply as private businesses unless it's a publicly funded college.

2. Your "Code of Conduct" agreement.
Colleges can ban their students from carrying, but this is a matter of the agreement between you and the school, as a condition of your attendance, not law. Violation of your agreement isn't against the law and can't get you in trouble legally, just expelled.

No "lawyer or LEO" can help you here because you're not dealing with state law, but an agreement with a private entity. Only the school can tell you if they will kick you out. Maybe an anonymous email asking clarification of their policy will put your mind at ease if you don't want to put a magnifying glass on you by asking directly.

On a side note, how I read it is that they allow anyone legally carrying. I think if they wanted to.ban students from carrying they would have said so.

Cody Pehrson

You need to understand there are 2 sets of "Rules" you're dealing with.

1. MN law.
There is nothing in MN law saying you can't carry at a college. The same rules apply as private businesses unless it's a publicly funded college.

2. Your "Code of Conduct" agreement.
Colleges can ban their students from carrying, but this is a matter of the agreement between you and the school, as a condition of your attendance, not law. Violation of your agreement isn't against the law and can't get you in trouble legally, just expelled.

No "lawyer or LEO" can help you here because you're not dealing with state law, but an agreement with a private entity. Only the school can tell you if they will kick you out. Maybe an anonymous email asking clarification of their policy will put your mind at ease if you don't want to put a magnifying glass on you by asking directly.

On a side note, how I read it is that they allow anyone legally carrying. I think if they wanted to.ban students from carrying they would have said so.

wow I didn't even think of it like that.... I will email just to make sure. Thank you for your intelligent input! this has guided me in the right direction. And I was getting the same vibe as well. I looked up and down left and right and couldn't find anything that stated in a straight forward way that they banned all firearms.

Cody Pehrson

Do they have a form for you to fill out for "authorized" posession. The way I read that is don't harm anyone, point your weapon at anyone (except in SD) and you should be good to go. OC is not banned, but that depends on the administrations interperptation of what can and can not "cause fear".

In Cassad in WA state courts it was stated that proper OC is not something that should cause fear in a "reasonable man".

Im going to have to email them about that one I think... I haven't found any kind of form that I can fill out yet.

RazorClaw

I don't know if you've gotten a reply yet, but being a former student at Normandale, I can tell you they definitely ban it.

Normandale is one of the 31 colleges in the MNScu system and is governed by an overarching set of rules.
The relevant bit is here: http://www.mnscu.edu/board/policy/521.html

Part 3:B(1) says students are prohibited. And, upon discovery, you'll definitely be expelled. However, MN law says they can't restrict the parking lots, so you can keep the gun in your car like I did.
I chose not to carry because the threat of expulsion was too great for me, but you can do what you like.

If you decide to carry, just remember to keep it covered and shut up about it.

Hope this helps.

Cody Pehrson

ya they just emailed me back... o well. I guess Ill just keep my head on a swivel like always lol

amaixner

Just conceal properly if you need to attend the college. There is no law broken, they won't even know, and you will have your means of defense with you. I wouldn't have dreamed of attending the U of MN (Minneapolis) without legally carrying every day -- the crime rate around there is sky high. Though I hope that Normandale is statistically a little safer, it's all random chance.