Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand gun advise

Hand gun advise

I have applied for the CCL. It looks that all decently priced handguns are out of stock at cheaper than dirt. But i found one manufacturer who is selling one 45ACP BUT it is manufactured in the Philippines. I hesitated when the guy on the phone said that the quality is not the same as an equivalent American made. However he said that he has had one for a dozen years with no problems. Is that why that gun is still available? I want to buy AMERICAN. But all out of stock. I can't afford a Dan Wesson or Colt, or Magnum Research. You get the picture.

Is the quality and tolerance of the metals in the Philippines 45 ACP the same as ours?????? I don't need complex technical advice on metals, maybe a simple answer.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    Is the quality and tolerance of the metals in the Philippines 45 ACP the same as ours?????? I don't need complex technical advice on metals, maybe a simple answer.
    Do you mean Rock Island Armory M1911 sold by Armscor? They're cheap but apparently MIL-SPEC

Question

Ummm...do you have a car? Check around; it really shouldn't be too hard to find a decently-priced, American-made handgun...
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

I agree with Rock Island, I have heard they are a good defense weapon. Might not be a good competition firearm but for daily carry I think it would be ok.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Yep it's fun trying to find a 1911 at a good price. You could check with Moe Hardware, http://www.moehardware.com/ . Out of all the places I looked that's where I ended up getting mine from, it was around $720 for a Colt Gov. Model. If you haven't could always try looking on Gallery of Guns or Lipsey's, I have never used either of those other than to see what's out there.
    Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 04-06-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    Do you mean Rock Island Armory M1911 sold by Armscor? They're cheap but apparently MIL-SPEC
    Cheap and MIL-SPEC and excellent guns!! I have two and they are outstanding. Never had an issue with either one. Even if you did, they have a lifetime warranty.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

1 As others said, keep looking.
    2 Buy a smaller caliber gun first as an alternative on cost.
    3 Buy a used one in a private sale.
    4 Buy a used one from a dealer.

I have applied for the CCL. It looks that all decently priced handguns are out of stock at cheaper than dirt. But i found one manufacturer who is selling one 45ACP BUT it is manufactured in the Philippines. I hesitated when the guy on the phone said that the quality is not the same as an equivalent American made. However he said that he has had one for a dozen years with no problems. Is that why that gun is still available? I want to buy AMERICAN. But all out of stock. I can't afford a Dan Wesson or Colt, or Magnum Research. You get the picture.

"dozen years with no problems" -- tells you nothing. How much was it fired during that time? I had one pistol for almost 35 years... but have seldom fired it during the past 10.

If you want to buy American and not break the bank you might want to think "Ruger."
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    --snip--

If you want to buy American and not break the bank you might want to think "Ruger."
    Expect that Ruger prices will be going up.
    http://tinyurl.com/7jzbqre

Virtually any Mil-Spec 1911 will give you good service - it did for the G.I.s through several wars
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Best see itbefore you put the money down. Trust me on that.

Hey, you could go out and get a nice Springfield, but you will still end upwith a foreign made gun (Croatia I think for Springfield, or is it still Brazil?). Nothing wrong with that at all, as long as it works 100% of the time you use it. My first .45 was a Firestar M45, and it was a great gun. The only issue was that I was never able to find replacement parts for it, so I knew my love for it could be short lived real fast. I got rid of it, and got my first Kimber. My Kimber does have foreign made night sights, but the rest is 100% USA!

For the record, my old M45 could eat any ammo out of the box. My Kimber TLE2 took some good work to make it eat it all.
    Still love my Kimber though.

Just make sure you canget parts for it, and that it works well.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Springfield Armory M1911 are assembled from Brazilian IMBEL parts. The Croatian Pistol M2000 is imported and marketed as the SA XD and XDM series.

Look around and you'll see a lot of praise for Rock Island 1911s. As well as Taurus PT 1911.

Is there a particular reason you want a 1911 anyway?
    Last edited by DangerClose; 04-07-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerClose View Post
    Look around and you'll see a lot of praise for Rock Island 1911s. As well as Taurus PT 1911. Is there a particular reason you want a 1911 anyway?
    Opie said Filipino 45ACP. I asked RIA M1911 only because that's the only Filipino made gun off the top of my head.

Wheel Guns are Dependable & User Friendly

I got my CCW permit last Oct. & I studied the issue (which firearm is right for me?) for a Long time, and I decided on the Ruger Sp101 .

Bought it private sale for $400.

It's a very versatile weapon , shoots 38 spl, 38 spl +P & 357 mag, and it's easy maintenance.

I use 38 SWC for TP, I buy the Ultramax® Remanufactured Ammo bulk 200 rnd for about $60, then keep it loaded full time with +P 158 gr. JHP, 357 mag is too HARD on the ears.

I really enjoy this fine piece of craftsmanship plus it's my full time carry gun, in a Mikes Sidekick, either on my belt or just stuff holster in my front pocket.

Not a regular practitioner of OC, usually wear an outer garment or untuck T-shirt, but do enjoy the ability to finally be a RKBA Patriot.

Keep up the hunt, ask lots of questions, visit local gun dealers for a "test drive" & you'll eventually will find what you like.

Check out Guns & Ammo magazine for Handgun reviews, do Youtube Reviews & maybe visit a firing range for a show & tell with other Bro's & Sis's in Arms.

Peace & Keep Up The Fight for Our Rights ! Sincerely, Scott

Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    Best see itbefore you put the money down. Trust me on that.

Hey, you could go out and get a nice Springfield, but you will still end upwith a foreign made gun (Croatia I think for Springfield, or is it still Brazil?). Nothing wrong with that at all, as long as it works 100% of the time you use it. My first .45 was a Firestar M45, and it was a great gun. The only issue was that I was never able to find replacement parts for it, so I knew my love for it could be short lived real fast. I got rid of it, and got my first Kimber. My Kimber does have foreign made night sights, but the rest is 100% USA!

For the record, my old M45 could eat any ammo out of the box. My Kimber TLE2 took some good work to make it eat it all.
    Still love my Kimber though.

Just make sure you canget parts for it, and that it works well.
    Star parts are very easy to find actually - just need to know where to look

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ight=Bonifacio

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by DangerClose View Post
    Look around and you'll see a lot of praise for Rock Island 1911s. As well as Taurus PT 1911.

Is there a particular reason you want a 1911 anyway?
    It seems to be a model that has stood the test of time. I realize that it is made by different companies. Seems to be a standard all time around gun, I suppose. Where is brokensproket. I saw him with one in a fair. Maybe he can give his opinion too. Unlike many of you who may own many firearms, I can only afford one for a long time. Some are expensive but this Taylor is in my price range. I' am going to a gun store near by to try many different ones as the owner and many of you suggested before I buy. So the 1911 may not be it. It may be one that I can control/hold.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    ....So the 1911 may not be it. It may be one that I can control/hold.
    I certainly hope so....
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Some are expensive but this Taylor is in my price range.
    http://www.taylorsfirearmsstore.com/product144.html
    Made by Armscor, same as RIA, but without "MIL-SPEC". If MIL-SPEC means anything, be careful.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Lightbulb If cost is a concern you could always try this USA 45

Hi-Point.

See post #13 for links & reviews. For under $200 you can not find a better deal on a new 45acp.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...41-Hi-point-45

It is not the easiest gun to conceal but it beats no gun any day of the week
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 04-08-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Link to HP45acp thread here on OCDO
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    CETME firearms, STAR and ASTRA are victims of the bankrupt Spanish economy. Likely gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    Hi-Point.

See post #13 for links & reviews. For under $200 you can not find a better deal on a new 45acp.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...41-Hi-point-45

It is not the easiest gun to conceal but it beats no gun any day of the week
    For a CCW, of course anyone considering a Hi-Point should really drop their caliber thinking down a notch and go with a 9mm C9.

I'm trying not to bash 1911s in this thread, but if I had around $400+ to spend on one gun to have as a "do everything" gun, it sure wouldn't be a 1911.

Also something to consider: if wanting a .45 for home, a .45 Hi-Point is inexpensive enough to then also afford certain other smaller guns for a CCW gun, such as a PF9.

Also, the OP is in WI. So even if he wants to CC instead open carry, he still doesn't have to worry about extremes such as "no printing" and things if he doesn't want to because you can open carry anything you want. A WI CCW license is more like a license to be able to print and to untuck your shirt and to wear a jacket over your gun in the winter.
    Last edited by DangerClose; 04-08-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Law abider
    I am going to a gun store nearby to try many different ones as the owner and many of you suggested before I buy. So the 1911 may not be it. It may be one that I can control/hold.
    That should be your first-and-a-half & first priorities, for safety.
    Go to a store & handle everything they'll let you handle to find what fits your hand & aims well with the way your hand/wrist/arm are put together.
    Make a list.
    Then shoot a few & make a list of the ones that you can control well, with stars by the ones that seem to aim themselves.
    THEN look at caliber. (is ammunition commonly available? priced so you can afford to practice? effective at stopping an attacker?)
    THEN consider price & the revolver/semiauto debate.

To shop around on price, consider online auction sites & factor in the shipping & local FFL fees.
    You might be able to find just what you want at a price you can live with, when it's not available locally or only at a higher price.

IMO, for SD semiautos are the better choice because:
    1) More rounds. You're going to miss under pressure, & what if there's more than 1 attacker?
    2) Easier/faster reload.
    3) Thinner build, if you want to carry concealed.

Revolvers are simple machines, not as much to go wrong, but a decent semiauto will have similar reliability.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    That should be your first-and-a-half & first priorities, for safety.
    Go to a store & handle everything they'll let you handle to find what fits your hand & aims well with the way your hand/wrist/arm are put together.
    Make a list.
    Then shoot a few & make a list of the ones that you can control well, with stars by the ones that seem to aim themselves.
    THEN look at caliber. (is ammunition commonly available? priced so you can afford to practice? effective at stopping an attacker?)
    THEN consider price & the revolver/semiauto debate.

To shop around on price, consider online auction sites & factor in the shipping & local FFL fees.
    You might be able to find just what you want at a price you can live with, when it's not available locally or only at a higher price.

IMO, for SD semiautos are the better choice because:
    1) More rounds. You're going to miss under pressure, & what if there's more than 1 attacker?
    2) Easier/faster reload.
    3) Thinner build, if you want to carry concealed.

Revolvers are simple machines, not as much to go wrong, but a decent semiauto will have similar reliability.
    Yes! Great advice MKEgal and others. Now MKEgal brought up revolvers. I was originally going to get a Taurus judge. But Cap'tn Nemo suggested that It will be heavy and that I see if his Ruger 357 mag to get the feel and fire some shots. Then I remembered the hold /control doctrine and said to myself that them grips on revolvers don't look like I can grip them well. They all look short and stubby. I have big hands so that is why I thought 1911: They have a large area for me to grip.

I have big hands so that is why I thought 1911: They have a large area for me to grip.
    Some do. And I suppose you can put wider grips on ones that don't. For me, a typically-gripped 1911 feels nice enough when I hold it, but when I actually shoot it it feels too thin.

I do generally like double-stack 1911s. More capacity, and the grip size will fit a gorilla. And it might be the best gun made to pistol-whip people with. But someone would have to be a bit masochistic to CC one of those.

If money is that tight, remember .45 costs quite a bit more than 9mm. Let's say you only shoot 50 rounds a month. .45 over 9mm costs you something like an extra $70+ a year. Two years of that is the cost of a Hi-Point, and three years of that is almost the cost of a Kel-Tec PF9. A 9mm or even a .40 pays for itself over a .45. Some people simply want a .45 for various reasons though, and that's cool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	if1uf5.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	8298
    Last edited by DangerClose; 04-08-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    CETME firearms, STAR and ASTRA are victims of the bankrupt Spanish economy. Likely gone.
    Yes Star/Astra went belly up, but......

All parts stock, tooling, and equipment for Star and Astra were purchased by Bonifacio who continues in business - they cannot sell the barrel, frame and slide, but all the rest is available in Euro dollars. I have made several purchases and been quite satisfied. See links above for details to order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast