• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hand gun advise

Law abider

I have applied for the CCL. It looks that all decently priced handguns are out of stock at cheaper than dirt. But i found one manufacturer who is selling one 45ACP BUT it is manufactured in the Philippines. I hesitated when the guy on the phone said that the quality is not the same as an equivalent American made. However he said that he has had one for a dozen years with no problems. Is that why that gun is still available? I want to buy AMERICAN. But all out of stock. I can't afford a Dan Wesson or Colt, or Magnum Research. You get the picture.

Is the quality and tolerance of the metals in the Philippines 45 ACP the same as ours?????? I don't need complex technical advice on metals, maybe a simple answer.:confused:

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Is the quality and tolerance of the metals in the Philippines 45 ACP the same as ours?????? I don't need complex technical advice on metals, maybe a simple answer.
Do you mean Rock Island Armory M1911 sold by Armscor? They're cheap but apparently MIL-SPEC

ManInBlack

Ummm...do you have a car? Check around; it really shouldn't be too hard to find a decently-priced, American-made handgun...

bigdaddy1

I agree with Rock Island, I have heard they are a good defense weapon. Might not be a good competition firearm but for daily carry I think it would be ok.

Johnny Bravo

Yep it's fun trying to find a 1911 at a good price. You could check with Moe Hardware, http://www.moehardware.com/ . Out of all the places I looked that's where I ended up getting mine from, it was around $720 for a Colt Gov. Model. If you haven't could always try looking on Gallery of Guns or Lipsey's, I have never used either of those other than to see what's out there.

Last edited:

Carryon

1 As others said, keep looking.
2 Buy a smaller caliber gun first as an alternative on cost.
3 Buy a used one in a private sale.
4 Buy a used one from a dealer.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I have applied for the CCL. It looks that all decently priced handguns are out of stock at cheaper than dirt. But i found one manufacturer who is selling one 45ACP BUT it is manufactured in the Philippines. I hesitated when the guy on the phone said that the quality is not the same as an equivalent American made. However he said that he has had one for a dozen years with no problems. Is that why that gun is still available? I want to buy AMERICAN. But all out of stock. I can't afford a Dan Wesson or Colt, or Magnum Research. You get the picture.

Is the quality and tolerance of the metals in the Philippines 45 ACP the same as ours?????? I don't need complex technical advice on metals, maybe a simple answer.:confused:

"dozen years with no problems" -- tells you nothing. How much was it fired during that time? I had one pistol for almost 35 years... but have seldom fired it during the past 10.

If you want to buy American and not break the bank you might want to think "Ruger."

AaronS

Best see itbefore you put the money down. Trust me on that.

Hey, you could go out and get a nice Springfield, but you will still end upwith a foreign made gun (Croatia I think for Springfield, or is it still Brazil?). Nothing wrong with that at all, as long as it works 100% of the time you use it. My first .45 was a Firestar M45, and it was a great gun. The only issue was that I was never able to find replacement parts for it, so I knew my love for it could be short lived real fast. I got rid of it, and got my first Kimber. My Kimber does have foreign made night sights, but the rest is 100% USA!

For the record, my old M45 could eat any ammo out of the box. My Kimber TLE2 took some good work to make it eat it all.
Still love my Kimber though.

Just make sure you canget parts for it, and that it works well.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Springfield Armory M1911 are assembled from Brazilian IMBEL parts. The Croatian Pistol M2000 is imported and marketed as the SA XD and XDM series.

DangerClose

Look around and you'll see a lot of praise for Rock Island 1911s. As well as Taurus PT 1911.

Is there a particular reason you want a 1911 anyway?

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Look around and you'll see a lot of praise for Rock Island 1911s. As well as Taurus PT 1911. Is there a particular reason you want a 1911 anyway?
Opie said Filipino 45ACP. I asked RIA M1911 only because that's the only Filipino made gun off the top of my head.

scott58dh

Wheel Guns are Dependable & User Friendly

I got my CCW permit last Oct. & I studied the issue (which firearm is right for me?) for a Long time, and I decided on the Ruger Sp101 :cool:.

Bought it private sale for $400.

It's a very versatile weapon , shoots 38 spl, 38 spl +P & 357 mag, and it's easy maintenance.

I use 38 SWC for TP, I buy the Ultramax® Remanufactured Ammo bulk 200 rnd for about $60, then keep it loaded full time with +P 158 gr. JHP, 357 mag is too HARD on the ears. :eek:

I really enjoy this fine piece of craftsmanship plus it's my full time carry gun, in a Mikes Sidekick, either on my belt or just stuff holster in my front pocket.

Not a regular practitioner of OC, usually wear an outer garment or untuck T-shirt, but do enjoy the ability to finally be a RKBA Patriot.

Keep up the hunt, ask lots of questions, visit local gun dealers for a "test drive" & you'll eventually will find what you like.

Check out Guns & Ammo magazine for Handgun reviews, do Youtube Reviews & maybe visit a firing range for a show & tell with other Bro's & Sis's in Arms.

Peace & Keep Up The Fight for Our Rights ! Sincerely, Scott

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Best see itbefore you put the money down. Trust me on that.

Hey, you could go out and get a nice Springfield, but you will still end upwith a foreign made gun (Croatia I think for Springfield, or is it still Brazil?). Nothing wrong with that at all, as long as it works 100% of the time you use it. My first .45 was a Firestar M45, and it was a great gun. The only issue was that I was never able to find replacement parts for it, so I knew my love for it could be short lived real fast. I got rid of it, and got my first Kimber. My Kimber does have foreign made night sights, but the rest is 100% USA!

For the record, my old M45 could eat any ammo out of the box. My Kimber TLE2 took some good work to make it eat it all.
Still love my Kimber though.

Just make sure you canget parts for it, and that it works well.

Star parts are very easy to find actually - just need to know where to look :p

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...one-Carry-A-Star-Firestar&highlight=Bonifacio

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?98371-Star-pistols&highlight=Bonifacio

Law abider

Look around and you'll see a lot of praise for Rock Island 1911s. As well as Taurus PT 1911.

Is there a particular reason you want a 1911 anyway?

It seems to be a model that has stood the test of time. I realize that it is made by different companies. Seems to be a standard all time around gun, I suppose. Where is brokensproket. I saw him with one in a fair. Maybe he can give his opinion too. Unlike many of you who may own many firearms, I can only afford one for a long time. Some are expensive but this Taylor is in my price range. I' am going to a gun store near by to try many different ones as the owner and many of you suggested before I buy. So the 1911 may not be it. It may be one that I can control/hold.