• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New carry gun input requested.

Hevymetal

I am considering purchasing another carry gun. I will be using it to OC as well as CC. I was looking for input from you guys that may have had any experience with these models on my candidates list. I would value you honest opinions and experiences.

H&K USP compact .40
Sig P229 enhanced elite .40
CZ-75 P-06 .40

Am I missing a worthy candidate here?

My qualifications for this weapon are:

1. .40 Caliber
2. Semi-Auto
3. De-cocker lever
4. Exposed hammer
5. DA/SA

Thanks for the help
Hevymetal

()pen(arry

That's an extremely restrictive combination of features. I'm not aware of a firearm from a major manufacturer that you haven't listed that qualifies. Were it not for the requirement of .40S&W, I'd suggest considering the Ruger P95D. Were it not for the requirement of an exposed hammer, I'd strongly recommend the Walther P99 (you can see the condition of the striker, even in low light, so maybe you'd drop that requirement).

Hevymetal

That's an extremely restrictive combination of features. I'm not aware of a firearm from a major manufacturer that you haven't listed that qualifies. Were it not for the requirement of .40S&W, I'd suggest considering the Ruger P95D. Were it not for the requirement of an exposed hammer, I'd strongly recommend the Walther P99 (you can see the condition of the striker, even in low light, so maybe you'd drop that requirement).

I would be flexible on the caliber but my reason for selecting a .40 is, I don't currently have one and I've always wanted to own one to "test drive" it so to speak.

I own and have carried a Walther PPK .380 but it's real picky bout the ammo it likes and it's heavy for a small gun so I retired it for a Sig P230 for my daily carry weapon.

Have you had a chance to put a few rounds downrange in the P99? If so how did it preform? I will try and get my hands on one to check it out. I guess I still have an unfounded aversion to carrying a pistol without a hammer I can put my thumb on :)

My preferred method of carry has always been, round in chamber and hammer down until necessary (Yeah I know, there is another whole thread just waiting to be had there in that statement) but carrying the P230 a majority of the time which has no external safety I feel better that way rather then going cocked and unlocked which could potentially lead to a Darwin award.

What about Ruger P944?

Hadn't considered that one because it was listed as out of production when I looked on their site, although checking now I see a few for sale from other sites. Have no frame of reference for this gun. Have you had a chance to use one?

Last edited:

noname762

I own and have carried a Walther PPK .380 but it's real picky bout the ammo it likes and it's heavy for a small gun so I retired it for a Sig P230 for my daily carry weapon.

My carry gun is a .380 that looks just like a Colt1911. I carry it condition 2. Like many here I love the 1911 but my hands aren't large enough to operate it with the confidence I would prefer. So I carry a scaled down 1911. Seven rounds of JHP in the mag. Sure I wish the mag held more rounds but it doesn't so I make do.

This gun is an improvement over my old carry gun. Weight was and is critical for me as my health ain't what it was when I ws younger. My .380 is fairly light compared to any .40, .45 or 9mm.

I'm glad to see others out there carry a .380. If I hadn't of sold my WWII .38S&W Webley I would carry it in the winter. Mainly cuz I love WWII small arms. :D

Hevymetal

My carry gun is a .380 that looks just like a Colt1911. I carry it condition 2. Like many here I love the 1911 but my hands aren't large enough to operate it with the confidence I would prefer. So I carry a scaled down 1911. Seven rounds of JHP in the mag. Sure I wish the mag held more rounds but it doesn't so I make do.

This gun is an improvement over my old carry gun. Weight was and is critical for me as my health ain't what it was when I ws younger. My .380 is fairly light compared to any .40, .45 or 9mm.

I'm glad to see others out there carry a .380. If I hadn't of sold my WWII .38S&W Webley I would carry it in the winter. Mainly cuz I love WWII small arms. :D

A .380 1911 clone nice :)

I agree a .380 is the minimum I will carry as a Primary weapon. When the situation dictates the Sig becomes my BUG and I will also carry another primary gun 9MM or .45 usually. But for daily carry and work the .45 is too bulky and heavy to comfortably conceal when needed. Seven rounds of .380 is sufficient for most days and situations but trips to Detroit usually require having additional ammo available if necessary (19 in the 9, 13 in the .45) so I will forgo comfort for added peace of mind.

()pen(arry

I've spent a fair amount of time with a .40S&W P99. I have described it to many people as everything a Glock ever wanted to be, and better. It has a decocking button, a striker peep, better tolerances while staying ammo-friendly, better ergonomics, way better aesthetics, swappable back straps, and a Glock-spec frame-molded rail. If I were a larger man, it would be my daily concealed pistol. As I'm only 5'9" 180lbs, I'm about to ditch my G26 for a PPS.

The Ruger P944 is discontinued, but relatively recently, so there are still some new in-stock at various retailers. If you're willing to stick with 9mm, the P95D comes in a PR version (frame-molded 1913 rail). There's even a KP95DPR (stainless slide and 1913 rail), if you're into that look. My understanding is that it's a thoroughly reliable weapon, but I can't vouch for that first-hand.

()pen(arry

FWIW, my take on 9mm versus .40S&W is this:

The .40S&W is a very impressive round, when you look at the ballistics. It's also not meaningfully more challenging to shoot for anyone with basic pistol mastery. When compared against the 9mm, everything is as good or better. Having said that, I have yet to come across any information or evidence that indicates, let alone is conclusive, that in any situation where a 9mm just didn't cut it, a .40S&W would have had just enough extra to change the outcome. In other words, if you can't get it done with the 9mm, you basically can't get it done with the .40S&W. It is better, but not *that* much better.

So if you are comfortable spending a little extra on the gun and ammo, and don't mind having to look a little harder for a specific load, by all means get a gun chambered for .40S&W. I would not, however, limit my choice of pistol just to get .40S&W. The benefit of the right gun for you over a less-ideal gun is much greater than the benefit of .40S&W over 9mm.

That's just my opinion.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I have had experience with the Sig 229. The SRT Trigger on that thing is sweet. Pretty damn accurate and dependable too. In the 40 you can get 12 or 10 round mags for it. That's the one I recommend the most. You can't go wrong with a SIG. One of the best Combat Handguns in the world. Hence the reason most federal and military agencies either carry the 226 or 229.

The USP Is pretty damn great too. It fits good in the hands and is pretty smooth. I'm not a huge fan of the Decocking lever though. The SIG has the best decocker out of the choices you named in my opinion.

Just my .02

MPWarrior653

I know I just posted this in another thread, but since buying my 40 I have fallen in love with it haha. The Stoeger (Beretta) Cougar 8040 also fits all those specs, and its unbelievably reliable, yet much cheaper than most on that list. I don't know about concealing it... at least IWB. But it's a great OC gun!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Since you are not including DAO guns in your list, in my opinion you are leaving out some excellent candidates for consideration. But then again, it IS your list and your eventual purchase. I am not a fan of DA guns for carrying however, in your list I believe I would go with the Sig Sauer P229. If there is any way you can see your list allowing DAO guns for consideration, you will have increased your list considerably with some quality pieces.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I am considering purchasing another carry gun. I will be using it to OC as well as CC. I was looking for input from you guys that may have had any experience with these models on my candidates list. I would value you honest opinions and experiences.

H&K USP compact .40 My qualifications for this weapon are:

1. .40 Caliber
2. Semi-Auto
3. De-cocker lever
4. Exposed hammer
5. DA/SA

Thanks for the help
Hevymetal
I have carried an H&K USPc .40 since it was new (date code KI). For the first ten years it was daily exposed to salt water and perspiration, enough to drip liquid when removed from its 'holster'. Daily maintenance was a wipe down with a dry cloth and then an 'oily' cloth. After about five years H&K replaced the take down lever for a spot of rust. It has since been faultless.

I recently got a minimalist VersaCarry 'holster' that I wear at 0530, so it is again exposed to significant perspiration.

I carry it in Condition-two (hammer down, chambered round, safety off) with a full magazine replenished for the stripped chambered round. The magazines have the (then) optional finger rest.

My carry ammo is Federal EFMJ only.

Hevymetal

I have had experience with the Sig 229. The SRT Trigger on that thing is sweet. Pretty damn accurate and dependable too. In the 40 you can get 12 or 10 round mags for it. That's the one I recommend the most. You can't go wrong with a SIG. One of the best Combat Handguns in the world. Hence the reason most federal and military agencies either carry the 226 or 229.

The USP Is pretty damn great too. It fits good in the hands and is pretty smooth. I'm not a huge fan of the Decocking lever though. The SIG has the best decocker out of the choices you named in my opinion.

Just my .02

I've always had good luck with my Sig and have heard little to no complaints from any of the Sig owners I know.

I know I just posted this in another thread, but since buying my 40 I have fallen in love with it haha. The Stoeger (Beretta) Cougar 8040 also fits all those specs, and its unbelievably reliable, yet much cheaper than most on that list. I don't know about concealing it... at least IWB. But it's a great OC gun!

I'll check into it. Thank You.

Since you are not including DAO guns in your list, in my opinion you are leaving out some excellent candidates for consideration. But then again, it IS your list and your eventual purchase. I am not a fan of DA guns for carrying however, in your list I believe I would go with the Sig Sauer P229. If there is any way you can see your list allowing DAO guns for consideration, you will have increased your list considerably with some quality pieces.

It's not that I am against DAO weapons I own a few. They are mostly small caliber and I usually don't carry them. I just prefer the ability to invoke my thumb. I've always had the SA option and have grown accustomed to it. I suppose with a little mental retraining DAO would be a viable option. Is there any DAO models you think I should consider

I have carried an H&K USPc .40 since it was new (date code KI). For the first ten years it was daily exposed to salt water and perspiration, enough to drip liquid when removed from its 'holster'. Daily maintenance was a wipe down with a dry cloth and then an 'oily' cloth. After about five years H&K replaced the take down lever for a spot of rust. It has since been faultless.

I recently got a minimalist VersaCarry 'holster' that I wear at 0530, so it is again exposed to significant perspiration.

I carry it in Condition-two (hammer down, chambered round, safety off) with a full magazine replenished for the stripped chambered round. The magazines have the (then) optional finger rest.

My carry ammo is Federal EFMJ only.

I have a good friend that swears by the USPc. He has carried one for years as well and has had no problems. It does feel pretty comfortable in my hands. His weapon has been through hell via daily carry and still preforms like a champ.

I reload my carry mags FMJHP bi-monthly due to the perspiration and temperature change havoc that could potentially cause a problem with the ammo. Every other month I send the old ammo downrange and reload with fresh ammo. Call me crazy but a few dollars in ammo every other month is worth the piece of mind, reducing the odds of hearing a "Click" then nothing when you need it. I have seen people that are carrying around 5+ year old ammo daily without ever changing it. I don't want to play the odds that it will function correctly.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
It's not that I am against DAO weapons I own a few. They are mostly small caliber and I usually don't carry them. I just prefer the ability to invoke my thumb. I've always had the SA option and have grown accustomed to it. I suppose with a little mental retraining DAO would be a viable option. Is there any DAO models you think I should consider.

I am going to assume that price is not a serious consideration based upon your list of DA guns. With that in mind, there are the the usual suspects in the form of Glock, Springfield XD series, and Smith and Wesson M&P handguns. You also have Kahr, Ruger, and Sig Sauer in this mix. I have spent the past six months re-evaluating my primary carry gun which for the past five years has been a modified-to-my-needs gen3 Glock 23. I have settled upon my M&P 9mm Pro Series with my M&P .40 and my gen3 Glock 19 (also modified to my needs) backing things up. I shoot my M&P 9 Pro the best of the lot after my comparisons and that has become my primary carry piece. I do carry a few others from my carry stable when I believe my needs to be better served by one of them, but the M&P 9 Pro moved to the front of the pack a few months ago.

SovereignAxe

I just realized something. If the only thing keeping you from buying a .40 P99 is because it's striker fired, there exists the H&K P30. It's basically a more expensive, hammer fired Walther PPQ, and is available with numerous trigger configurations-including DA/SA.

It's just...you could just about buy two PPQs for the price of a P30 lol

hogeaterf6

Bersa fits your description. I carry a Bersa 40 sub compact. Hold 11 with 1 in the pipe. The 45 is the same size except it hold 7 +1. I use to carry a Bersa .380+. Holds 16 +1. Good guns at a affordable price. $350. They fit my hand better then a Smith or Berretta.

Eeyore

I just realized something. If the only thing keeping you from buying a .40 P99 is because it's striker fired, there exists the H&K P30.

+1. I think the ergos are much better on the P30 than the USP.

Another possibility nobody's brought up yet is the Beretta Px4. As mentioned, the FN FNP40 is another contender. I've never handled one, but the reviews I've read on the STI GP6 say it has the best SA trigger of any DA/SA gun out there.

Since you appear to be focused on "higher end" weapons, I won't bother to suggest a Taurus 24/7 or 840, or Bersa.

markand

I have a SIG P229, one of the guns on your list. I've been very happy with it. I've CC'd and OD'd with it for nearly 10 years. It came to me as a .40 S & W. Later, I added .357 SIG and 9mm barrels and can shoot in any of those 3 calibers just by swapping barrels and ammo. 9mm for cheap plinking at the range and .357 SIG for daily carry. Availability of ammo is less of a concern as well since I can shoot any of the 3 calibers. It would be hard to go wrong with a classic SIG like the P229.

You mentioned you were looking for "another" carry gun. Not sure if you mean this is only your second carry gun, or just "another". There's one other criteria that might be worth thinking about. If you ever use a gun for self defense, police will almost certainly take it from you at the scene and hold it as possible evidence in their criminal investigation. It might be months before you see it again, if ever, even if the shooting was justified. If this is your only suitable carry gun, you're in a bit of trouble. The bad guy you've shot will probably have family, friends, "business associates", or gang members who won't like you very much. Not a good time to be without a gun. If you don't already have another gun similar or identical to your primary carry gun, consider getting one that matches that description. The aftermath of a shooting would be a bad time to have to switch to a radically different gun, or from one type of firearm to another, ie: .40 to .22 (because that's all you have) or revolver to semi-auto, or even SIG to HK. As I said, I can't tell from your initial post what kind of "collection" you already have, so forgive me if you've already got this covered.

Hevymetal

Well Ive been doing more research and checking out (online and in-person) the models from suggestions made here and I think I have all but made my decision.

These are my thoughts;

I stopped by a local gun store and checked out the H&K P30S (The 9mm variant) OH MY GOD!! that gun feels sooooo nice in my hand I didn't want to let it go. The ergonomics and balance on this weapon are OUTSTANDING.

I think the mag release will take a little getting used to (mentally and physically) Been used to buttons all my life. Nothing a few hundred hours of range time wont cure :p

The contrast sights are ok. I personally think a set of Trijicon sights would be way better but I think Europe has some phobia with tritium and won't allow them. So that will be an immediate upgrade after purchase.

It has a Picatinny rail built in (Bonus) I foresee a laser/light combo upgrade sometime in the future.

The auto slide-release feature when inserting a full mag is kinda weird but nice at the same time, like salty and sweet. Once again nothing a little range time won't cure.

Being right-handed and not have given much thought to the matter of cross-training with my left hand. I've suddenly realized this weapon would be an ideal candidate if not the only one in my collection the is truly ambidextrous.

So my next questions would be.

1. Have any of you had experience with this model and if so how do you like it?
2. Do you see any potential drawbacks of this model?
3. The model I am looking for is the M734001-A5 P30S .40 S&W (V3) DA/SA with safety and ambidextrous decocking button. No one local here seems to have them in stock any suggestions?