• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Interaction with LEO

Isky

This actually happened a couple of Summers ago, but after reading tons of threads in here, I wanted to tell the story since it's a good one.

I live out in the country, and had someone driving around the "neighborhood" over and over at about 3:30am, just about dawn in that area in the Summer. (I love watching sunrises from the porch.) After the 3rd time around the 6 mile block, he finally stopped his car on the side of the road. It was a 350 engine, which is pretty obvious when you're used to them, and it didn't sound like it was out of gas. But, he walked up my driveway to meet me and asked if I had a gas can/could give him some gas, because he'd run out. He kept chatting with me while I got the can, but then acted really skittish when he noticed my .45 on my side. I told him to leave the can out by my mailbox. Then, he went and kinda acted like he put it in his car, but he didn't tip the can enough, then left. I got the gas can, and it still seemed pretty full, which made me suspicious. I called the police, and they came out. By the time they got there, he'd already circled a couple more times. They asked if it was okay to bring him into my driveway just off the road. (It's over 100 feet from there to my house.) They were very nice about it, and willing to stop him on the road if I minded. One talked to him, and one came back to talk to me after they stopped him. The entire time I was openly carrying, and neither LEO said anything about it. I mean, they saw the gun, they just went on like it didn't matter. I'm pretty sure I'd have to wear something HUGE to conceal that gun.

After they made him leave (he claimed he was looking for a friend that lived at my address 15 years before, when there was no house there 15 years before) one of them asked me about the gun. It's a Springfield Armory XD - the black tactical model. I love it. I told him that. We discussed that it seemed pretty big for me (a 5'6", at the time 130lb, female). It's not. It just looks big. :p The only thing he really even did say at all in reference to me carrying it with them around was "I was going to ask you to put the safety on, then noticed it's a grip safety." That's it. Honestly, this was my first encounter with a LEO in Idaho when I was openly carrying, and there were no problems at all. Yay for Kootenai Country LEOs! :D

I'm sure being a relatively small female out in the country does help how they treat me, but I really hope other people in this area have had the same treatment.

Isky

:D

That is what I would expect in Kootenai or Broundry Counties.

Yep! I lived in Shoshone county as a kid.. but I was a kid.. and my dad was opposed to guns back then. Grandpa lived in Kootenai and had tons, though. Took me deer hunting at 8. Pissed my mom off.

noname762

Idaho...The friendly state

That is what I would expect in Kootenai or Broundry Counties.

I have an old friend who lives near Blanchard ID I haven't seen for years. He's a Blacksmith and goes by Pawnee. Ever met him?? He's good people. If you ever need any ironwares fixed or remade into something else he's your man.

Great story by the way.

Isky

Nope, sorry.

I have an old friend who lives near Blanchard ID I haven't seen for years. He's a Blacksmith and goes by Pawnee. Ever met him?? He's good people. If you ever need any ironwares fixed or remade into something else he's your man.

Great story by the way.

Sorry. I actually live pretty close to Blanchard, and have some good pics of the old general store there, but I don't know anyone there. I think I may have moved out here onto the farm land to not have to talk to people in person. :p (Of course, after 3 1/2 years, that gets old.)