• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member, Introduction/advice?

LoneEchoWolf

I decided its probably best i introduce myself, So to start im Lenny, a 24 year old, living in Alamosa Colorado and am about to start open carrying my Hi point 9C all the time. i think after reading up on my rights and looking throughout the forum many times im confident enough to open carry and deal with any LEO issues that may come up, im not sure how open the Alamosa PD is to the OC mostly being im a "youngin" haha but im confindent that i have the support if anything comes up to help me out. currently im looking into new weapon classes and my CHP or "CCW" license but in the meantime im exercissing my rights and Open carrying, if anyone has suggestions im all ears, mostly being im somewhat younger any advice from the long time members is greatly appreciated. Thanks All! Hoorah!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
First, let me welcome you to the forum! You have done well to prepare yourself for any encounter you may have if you have been reading as you describe. Not only is open carry permissible in Colorado, it is your flat-out right! Anybody wants to question that can check it out with the Colorado Constitution, Article 2, sections 3 and 13 in particular.

Armed with a certain confidence and understanding of your responsibilities as a handgun owner, you should find that open carry doesn't raise all that much concern by the public or law enforcement. If you should have any hassle, just let us know. Perhaps we can get a bunch of the folks here to drop by your area and hold a picnic or meet-up to drive home the point.

The only thing that might be an issue is your age, but much of how you are viewed will be more on your comportment than your age. Carry with confidence, behave in a manner that folks find friendly and open, and you shouldn't have any troubles at all.

Again, welcome to our forum.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

LoneEchoWolf

Thank you very much for the warm welcome, and will do with letting you all know if i come into any issues around here, i dont think many OC here, but as its been said you dont really run into eachother unless its a meetup or some other once in a lifetime chance. id love to get more familure with the forum and my colorado OC friends and hopefully be able to attend some of your meetings or whatnot since they are not so far away from me. As for my age i thought that would be a issue but your more than likely right if i carry myself as i do and treat people with the respect they deserve as always it should be no different then when im not OC. Im nervious about OC for my first time but i think i want to try to ease into it either starting tomorrow or the next day so hopefully it all goes smooth and ill let you all know how it goes. thanks again for the welcomeing atmosphere and the sence that if i have any questions or concerns that you all are willing and happy to help another Law abiding citizen.

~Wolf~

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pard!
Okay, just a couple of tips for that first OC outing.

1. The stuff you worry about most, never seems to happen. That's a lesson I learned over many years of fretting about all manner of things only to find out they just never happened. The most attention you're likely to encounter OC'ing is what you lend your worries about it. As you start OC'ing, you are likely to find that nobody else pays much mind to the fact you are carrying. Just you. Hence, go about your daily routine and relax.

2. The more relaxed you are about carrying, the more relaxed folks around you are likely to be. That's because a relaxed and easy going attitude tends to elicit the same response from others. If you are tense, apprehensive or nervous; folks seem to pick up on that and themselves become tends, apprehensive and nervous. Remember... Like attracts like.

3. Just like Nike says in their ads, just do it.

4. The more you do it, the less you'll think about it. It just becomes second nature. Eventually you get to a place where you feel less comfortable leaving home without your handgun than you would without your pants!

5. If a citizen asks why you're carrying, please be respectful in your answer. You are an ambassador for open carry, and there will be a need for a certain degree of diplomacy. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar!
Q: Why are you carrying a gun?
A: Because it is a fundamental American right, and I choose to carry for my own defense and that of other law abiding citizens.

Q: Are you a cop or something?
A: No. I am a Law Abiding Citizen taking responsibility for his own self defense against criminals in our society.

Q: You got a permit to carry that handgun?
A: Yes. It was issued by our founding fathers in the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, and in the Colorado Constitution in Article 2, sections 3 and 13 specifically.

Those are just a couple of quick examples, and certainly not a comprehensive list of questions and answers.

When I started open carry, I was nervous too. I worried about an LEO encounter or the reaction of other citizens. When I got out and started OC'ing in public, I discovered.... as usual.... all that worry was fruitless because I never had a negative encounter or reaction from citizens. You guessed it... the stuff I worried about never happened.

One of these days, I'll drift down your way and perhaps we can go on an outing around town and drop by various locations, OC'ing of course, and help you get accustomed to handling yourself in public with a handgun on your hip. Then again, by the time I get to your area, you may already have gotten over the first OC jitters and have grown comfortable exercising your RKBA freedom!

Best of luck to you!
M-Taliesin

LoneEchoWolf

Wow thank you so much sir thats more help than i expected for sure, your awesome thank you! Love the Permit answer im going to haveto respectfully steal that to hopefully never haveto use! If your ever down around my part your more than welcome to PM me and ill give you my number more than happy to have someone show me the ropes even if ive started OC routinely. Thank you again for so much help, ill work on not overthinking OCing and just relax and go on as usual easyer said than done at first im sure. Awesome of you to take your time out to help a youngin out. looking forward to the next get together i can make and looking forward to any and all ideas, tips that can help me out and ill do the same if i can help in some way of course. Great to be part of a laid back smart community!

~Wolf~

Pheone

Welcome to the forums!

M-T Nails this one on the head every time.

I'm 23 in the Colorado springs area, so i definitely understand your apprehension. Especially regarding being younger. I just got myself to break out and just go mingle with the public. The hardest part i found was walking thru that first set of doors into a Safeway. I made a small trip for some cereal and meds.

Oh boy was my heart pounding. by the time i'd grabbed my stuff and was headed to the counter, I'd calmed down and realized. NOONE even noticed. or if they did, they didn't give me any wierd looks. Frankly i don't think i could have gotten any less attention.

Since then i've got into 7-11's, walmarts, gunstores, villiage inn. All mainly after 9-10 pm since most of my life has me out and about at night. not one incident. And all of this is in the last week since i strapped up and just got thru that first set of doors carrying for the first time.

And if you feel the need, bring a friend. Even if they're not carrying it may help to relieve the stress that your all alone. It would give you someone to talk too, and help to make you feel less self conscious on that first trip out the door.

Know the laws, be respectful, i suggest dress reasonably, or at least not in clothing saying "F the police". and all will be just fine.

LoneEchoWolf

Always nice to hear of another first time without any issues, and of course i would never dress like that OCing or not, Ask for trouble and thats what youll get. Thanks for the adivce always nice to hear of another younger oc'er. I'll for sure take the advice and have someone come along just to help ease the tention. About to head out for my hopefully first OC running errands and whatnot, hopefully all goes well, Soon enough ill be able to tell you which locations are not so welcomeing to OCing in Alamosa just for you who are just passing through or whatnot. Thanks again for all the advice! if anyone has had a run in or a good result in Alamosa county id be happy to hear about it.

LoneEchoWolf

First time out OC'ing went swell, had to run a few errands and pick up more ammunition so i strapped on my C9 Hi point and walked out the door, of course the initial shock was overwhelming heart beating crazy, so i decided to get some gas across the street from my house. the folks at loaf n' jug were very accepting not even a strange look which was awesome since i live next door and its a minute walk from my house, i proceeded to go to our local Wal-Mart, and Verizon to pay my phone bill then went by big R to buy some rounds, ran into a friend i use to work with who's husband is out of town a lot now and is buying a handgun for self protection when i walked up, her and her husband asked me if i had a permit to Open Carry and i calmly explained to them that its our right as law abiding citizens to Open carry in the State of Colorado and be able to protect ones self at all times, i went over the most important tips on the laws but i recommended Coming to this site and doing there own reading and asking around, but it was really a added experience to be able to enlighten someone as to our rights around this little town. No first run in with any LEO, come to think of it i didn't see a LEO the entire time i was out driving and running my errands which is always a unsettling feeling that they are not around making a visual presence to "stop crime." so my first LEO run in is still something to look forward to, well not really look forward to but ya. Thank you all for the great tips and making my first OC a smooth and memorable event. Look forward to being more active in the forum and hopefully i will start OCing constantly now that i had my first time and feel more comfortable. keep you all updated on OC friendly locations in the Valley here in case you need or want to know. Thanks Again!

~Wolf~