Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nye County Holster Requirement

Nye County Holster Requirement

Anybody heard of a specific requirement for a level 2 or 3 holster by county?

Young fella I met tonight started explaining to me "gun laws". I guess he didn't know that I'm well studied in the Nevada Gun Laws. But hey, I don't know everything, and I'm willing to ask others.

He was telling me that in Nye county you have to have a level 2 or 3 holster to open carry. I had never heard of such a thing.
    Hoka hey

Herr Heckler Koch

Do not give the eager gun controlers new ideas!

Follow the money. Imagine, regular legally mandated improvements to an already expensive accessory.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms in a NEW and IMPROVED eXtreme Industries never-release holster shall not be infringed.

You folks out there must use "energizer" ammo for hunting/shooting. Nye county says it's a misdemeanor to discharge a firearm withing 3 miles of the county courthouse.

And nothing in the county code says anything about a holster..........

2A
    Last edited by OC-moto450r; 08-02-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Yeah, this kid was just shootin' from the hip. He just went through a CCW class in Nye county and was drinking some of the CCW kool-aid. I asked him to tell me the statute/ordinance, but he couldn't. He also said there was a similar ordinance in Las Vegas.

He was also talking about "OC in a public building where a sign with an NRS number is displayed forbidding all firearms". I told him that I believe the statute, he was refering to, only references concealed carry, and not open carry.

I think he's going shooting with us on Sunday. We'll see where he's getting his info.
    Hoka hey

Retention Holster Requirement A Pretty Good Idea

Quote Originally Posted by FallonJeeper View Post
    Anybody heard of a specific requirement for a level 2 or 3 holster by county?
    . . .

He was telling me that in Nye county you have to have a level 2 or 3 holster to open carry. I had never heard of such a thing.
    Would be a good idea to have such a law. The vast majority of OCers today use retention holsters. The benefits are obvious and it's awfully hard for the pro-gun rights advocates to logically argue against the idea. Look for such laws to be enacted in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    Follow the money. Imagine, regular legally mandated improvements to an already expensive accessory.
    C'mon, Herr Doug, the requirement for citizen OCers to use a retention holster makes sense. Nobody's talking about some onerous, "regular legally mandated" holster requirements. That's the ole slippery slope fallacy argument. A retention holster requirement would come under the "reasonable regulation" concept. Therefore, no infringement.

I would favor a mandate for a retention holster for OC. Mucho benefits, little cost. No problem with 2A. Everybody wins.

Good luck finding a retention holster for my FNH FNP .40, that really works. I've tried a few, and by the time I was able to wrestle it from the holster, I would be dead.
    Hoka hey

The only "retention" anything I could find for my Ruger P97 was leather with a thumb break. If anyone wishes to prove me wrong on that one problem, please do and I wish you more luck than I had when I looked. I guess they weren't popular enough for level 2 or 3 holsters.

Good luck finding a retention holster for my FNH FNP .40, that really works. I've tried a few, and by the time I was able to wrestle it from the holster, I would be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by b0neZ View Post
    The only "retention" anything I could find for my Ruger P97 was leather with a thumb break. If anyone wishes to prove me wrong on that one problem, please do and I wish you more luck than I had when I looked. I guess they weren't popular enough for level 2 or 3 holsters.

Oh, yeah. The "THEY-DON'T-MAKE-A-RETENTION-HOLSTER-FOR-MY-SPECIFIC-GUN" problem.

A problem, to be sure. Solvable, to be sure.

But please, the benefits greatly outweigh the solution costs for those problems.

Let's face it, there are hundreds of thousands of OCers out there today who use retention holsters. And most of those are MANDATED.

Any of those guys complaining?

Thumb breaks will not defeat a gun grab, they are designed more for retention during normal daily occurrences such walking, jumping or other routine activities. I would never support a retention holster requirement beyond a hosted to securely prevent the accidental loss of a firearm during normal daily activities including running.

How about a key lock on it. That way even a person who uses your style holster can't snatch it away. I certainly see where that regulation will lead us.

Quote Originally Posted by HankT View Post
    Oh, yeah. The "THEY-DON'T-MAKE-A-RETENTION-HOLSTER-FOR-MY-SPECIFIC-GUN" problem.

But please, the benefits greatly outweigh the solution costs for those problems.

Let's face it, there are hundreds of thousands of OCers out there today who use retention holsters. And most of those are MANDATED.

How many of those hundred thousand willingly put their firearms within reach of criminals and unstable people. And how many get those fancy holsters paid for by someone else?

Okay, I'll admit I'm fairly new to OC, so I'll play along. You say the problem is solvable, so please state how it is solvable without switching my EDC. I like what I have and plan to stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lockman View Post
    Thumb breaks will not defeat a gun grab, they are designed more for retention during normal daily occurrences such walking, jumping or other routine activities. I would never support a retention holster requirement beyond a hosted to securely prevent the accidental loss of a firearm during normal daily activities including running.
    I know thumb breaks are only a safeguard against loss during day-to-day life, hence the quotations in my previous post when I said "retention".

Where is "MANDATED"?
    Hoka hey

2A
    Last edited by OC-moto450r; 08-02-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OC-moto450r View Post
    He's talking about LEO's. You know its totally the samething....a requirement of employment and the government telling us what type of holster we have to buy.
    Ah, I'm with you.

Maybe the lad thought I was a LEO. Well I WAS a LEO, but that was several years ago. We didn't have a retention holster requirement back then.
    Hoka hey

Quote Originally Posted by OC-moto450r View Post
    Cite?

Here is the link from the NV legislations site for "Nevada County and City Codes"
    You wanted a cite for which statement? In reference to "no discharge within 3 miles", I offer Nye county code of ordinances Chapter 9, section 9.16.010. In the case of holster requirement, read the whole code and find what I found--nothing.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA

Cool.

Which Level II "solution" can you find me for my EAA Witness?

28kfps
    www.blade-tech.com/ will make a level two or three holster for most handguns. Me being a south paw limits the chooses at the standard every day firearm store. I purchased a laser for my carry gun and no one had a left-handed holster to fit the configuration I had. Blade tech made one and sent it to the house. A little spendy at $125 however, the left-handed level 2 fit the firearm and laser configuration perfect. They asked what kind of firearm, laser I was using and had me go on line pick out the which holster I wanted and in a few weeks it arrived at the front gate.

As far as Nye County, having a holster law is news to me. I have lived in Nye County for over 23 years and have received training for a Nye county issued CCW four times, the first application, and 3 renewals. I also have open carried for over the past two years and never heard, read about or had an LEO tell me about any holster requirement. The Nye County gun law was fairly easy to follow. No shooting after dark and no shooting within 3 miles of the courthouse. I am not aware of any changes.

Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    www.blade-tech.com/ will make a level two or three holster for most handguns.
    However, the EAA Witness / Tanfoglio T95 is not on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    www.blade-tech.com/ will make a level two or three holster for most handguns.
    Ruger P97 isn't in the list either. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I may pick up GPS and Smartphone pouches from them.

My real point was that the smug comments made by HankT ignore the Real World Facts(tm).

What, you mean cops?

No, the benefits don't outweigh the government intrusion where it has no business.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Now?

Ah, I'm with you.

Maybe the lad thought I was a LEO. Well I WAS a LEO, but that was several years ago. We didn't have a retention holster requirement back then.
    They have a retention holster requirement now?

I'm not saying they have one now. You were talking about "hundreds of thousands of OCers out there today who use retention holsters. And most of those are MANDATED."

All I said was we didn't have one back then.
    Hoka hey

They have a retention holster requirement now?
    Maybe it would be of assistance if you simply said what you meant, instead of speaking in code.

What OC'ers are you speaking of where "there are hundreds of thousands of OCers out there today who use retention holsters. And most of those are MANDATED."?

Who are they, what mandates the retention holster?

No code-speak, just openness for once.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast