• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nye County Holster Requirement

FallonJeeper

Anybody heard of a specific requirement for a level 2 or 3 holster by county?

Young fella I met tonight started explaining to me "gun laws". I guess he didn't know that I'm well studied in the Nevada Gun Laws. But hey, I don't know everything, and I'm willing to ask others.

He was telling me that in Nye county you have to have a level 2 or 3 holster to open carry. I had never heard of such a thing.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Do not give the eager gun controlers new ideas!

Follow the money. Imagine, regular legally mandated improvements to an already expensive accessory.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms in a NEW and IMPROVED eXtreme Industries never-release holster shall not be infringed.

bc.cruiser

You folks out there must use "energizer" ammo for hunting/shooting. Nye county says it's a misdemeanor to discharge a firearm withing 3 miles of the county courthouse.:shocker:

And nothing in the county code says anything about a holster..........

FallonJeeper

Yeah, this kid was just shootin' from the hip. He just went through a CCW class in Nye county and was drinking some of the CCW kool-aid. I asked him to tell me the statute/ordinance, but he couldn't. He also said there was a similar ordinance in Las Vegas.

He was also talking about "OC in a public building where a sign with an NRS number is displayed forbidding all firearms". I told him that I believe the statute, he was refering to, only references concealed carry, and not open carry.

I think he's going shooting with us on Sunday. We'll see where he's getting his info.

HankT

State Researcher
Retention Holster Requirement A Pretty Good Idea

Anybody heard of a specific requirement for a level 2 or 3 holster by county?
. . .

He was telling me that in Nye county you have to have a level 2 or 3 holster to open carry. I had never heard of such a thing.

Would be a good idea to have such a law. The vast majority of OCers today use retention holsters. The benefits are obvious and it's awfully hard for the pro-gun rights advocates to logically argue against the idea. Look for such laws to be enacted in the future.

Follow the money. Imagine, regular legally mandated improvements to an already expensive accessory.

C'mon, Herr Doug, the requirement for citizen OCers to use a retention holster makes sense. Nobody's talking about some onerous, "regular legally mandated" holster requirements. That's the ole slippery slope fallacy argument. A retention holster requirement would come under the "reasonable regulation" concept. Therefore, no infringement.

I would favor a mandate for a retention holster for OC. Mucho benefits, little cost. No problem with 2A. Everybody wins.

FallonJeeper

Good luck finding a retention holster for my FNH FNP .40, that really works. I've tried a few, and by the time I was able to wrestle it from the holster, I would be dead.

b0neZ

The only "retention" anything I could find for my Ruger P97 was leather with a thumb break. If anyone wishes to prove me wrong on that one problem, please do and I wish you more luck than I had when I looked. I guess they weren't popular enough for level 2 or 3 holsters.

HankT

State Researcher
Good luck finding a retention holster for my FNH FNP .40, that really works. I've tried a few, and by the time I was able to wrestle it from the holster, I would be dead.

The only "retention" anything I could find for my Ruger P97 was leather with a thumb break. If anyone wishes to prove me wrong on that one problem, please do and I wish you more luck than I had when I looked. I guess they weren't popular enough for level 2 or 3 holsters.

Oh, yeah. The "THEY-DON'T-MAKE-A-RETENTION-HOLSTER-FOR-MY-SPECIFIC-GUN" problem.

A problem, to be sure. Solvable, to be sure.

But please, the benefits greatly outweigh the solution costs for those problems.

Let's face it, there are hundreds of thousands of OCers out there today who use retention holsters. And most of those are MANDATED.

Any of those guys complaining?

lockman

State Researcher
Thumb breaks will not defeat a gun grab, they are designed more for retention during normal daily occurrences such walking, jumping or other routine activities. I would never support a retention holster requirement beyond a hosted to securely prevent the accidental loss of a firearm during normal daily activities including running.

How about a key lock on it. That way even a person who uses your style holster can't snatch it away. I certainly see where that regulation will lead us.

lockman

State Researcher
Oh, yeah. The "THEY-DON'T-MAKE-A-RETENTION-HOLSTER-FOR-MY-SPECIFIC-GUN" problem.

But please, the benefits greatly outweigh the solution costs for those problems.

Let's face it, there are hundreds of thousands of OCers out there today who use retention holsters. And most of those are MANDATED.

How many of those hundred thousand willingly put their firearms within reach of criminals and unstable people. And how many get those fancy holsters paid for by someone else?

b0neZ

Okay, I'll admit I'm fairly new to OC, so I'll play along. You say the problem is solvable, so please state how it is solvable without switching my EDC. I like what I have and plan to stick with it.

Thumb breaks will not defeat a gun grab, they are designed more for retention during normal daily occurrences such walking, jumping or other routine activities. I would never support a retention holster requirement beyond a hosted to securely prevent the accidental loss of a firearm during normal daily activities including running.

I know thumb breaks are only a safeguard against loss during day-to-day life, hence the quotations in my previous post when I said "retention".

FallonJeeper

Where is "MANDATED"?

FallonJeeper

He's talking about LEO's. You know its totally the samething....a requirement of employment and the government telling us what type of holster we have to buy.

Ah, I'm with you.

Maybe the lad thought I was a LEO. Well I WAS a LEO, but that was several years ago. We didn't have a retention holster requirement back then.

28kfps

www.blade-tech.com/ will make a level two or three holster for most handguns. Me being a south paw limits the chooses at the standard every day firearm store. I purchased a laser for my carry gun and no one had a left-handed holster to fit the configuration I had. Blade tech made one and sent it to the house. A little spendy at $125 however, the left-handed level 2 fit the firearm and laser configuration perfect. They asked what kind of firearm, laser I was using and had me go on line pick out the which holster I wanted and in a few weeks it arrived at the front gate.

As far as Nye County, having a holster law is news to me. I have lived in Nye County for over 23 years and have received training for a Nye county issued CCW four times, the first application, and 3 renewals. I also have open carried for over the past two years and never heard, read about or had an LEO tell me about any holster requirement. The Nye County gun law was fairly easy to follow. No shooting after dark and no shooting within 3 miles of the courthouse. I am not aware of any changes.