• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC @ Burger King 6902 Dixie Hwy Louisville

Nerfplz

Bad experience OC'ing @ Burger King 6902 Dixie Hwy Louisville

While OC'ing this afternoon I stopped at Burger King, when I went in I was told by the guy behind the counter "Unless you are law enforcement you can not carry that in here." my reply was "Do you have a sign posted?" Him "No. But that is our policy. I will take your order this one time if it is to go." my reply "No sir I don't think you will ever be taking my order again." Just a friendly heads up.

Last edited:

flb_78

You may want to call the store and ask for the manager on Monday and ask if it is in fact the store policy.

If so, there's plenty of fast food places out there, also, if you must have food from there, you can always OC through the drive through.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While OC'ing this afternoon I stopped at Burger King, when I went in I was told by the guy behind the counter "Unless you are law enforcement you can not carry that in here." my reply was "Do you have a sign posted?" Him "No. But that is our policy. I will take your order this one time if it is to go." my reply "No sir I don't think you will ever be taking my order again." Just a friendly heads up.

Been said many times, many ways before - never ask about a sign. Why encourage/promote such?

Better to leave and pursue with upper management in a polite and responsible way. The man behind the counter was likely expressing his personal bias or misapplying employee rules.

I have never had a problem with Burger King - not anywhere.

Nerfplz

Been said many times, many ways before - never ask about a sign. Why encourage/promote such?

Better to leave and pursue with upper management in a polite and responsible way. The man behind the counter was likely expressing his personal bias or misapplying employee rules.

I have never had a problem with Burger King - not anywhere.

Yes I know I should not have mentioned a sign but I was kinda shocked as I have OC'ed at this location numerous times without incident, I have no idea why but my first instinct was to ask if the policy was posted. I was very polite to the employee and will be courteous to the management on Monday as well, its my general disposition to behave and play nicely.

Last edited:

09jisaac

Yes I know I should not have mentioned a sign but I was kinda shocked as I have OC'ed at this location numerous times without incident, I have no idea why but my first instinct was to ask if the policy was posted. I was very polite to the employee and will be courteous to the management on Monday as well, its my general disposition to behave and play nicely.

Naturally. I always think that the business should have it's rules posted if they want the customers to follow them. You have certain rules that are assumed, but the ones that are not assumed should be posted. I usually see a "No Shirt, No shoes, No service" sign even though that it assumed but I assume nothing about legally carried firearms.

Also Grapeshot, I think he had the right to ask about a sign. It is natural to inquire about how you were suppose to know the rules. Also, in Kentucky all a sign does is show people firearms aren't welcome there. Ignoring a sign (in a case like this) holds no penalties.

papa bear

i was at a BK today and all that was said was "is that a 45" by one of the service guys there. no one said anything and didn't go in to hysterics either

if they had i would have immediately asked for a manager, and if that didn't go right i would have asked for the regional manager's #, till i went as far as i could go

Nerfplz

I sent a nice e-mail to corporate inquiring about their policy and I will contact store management Monday. I will follow up with what I learn.

Volksford

I posted this in another tread but i believe we should make a sticky on OC friendly location vs none. Then we can choose where we spend our money. Just a thought.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Great response. I don't think a policy that is not expressed to the public is actually a policy. What good is a secret policy? I would never suggest that a business post a sign, but if a business wants certain actions excluded from their property, they have an obligation to tell people what those actions are. Lots of places don't post because they are afraid that doing so will cost them business, we need to confirm that suspicion. I think a complaint to management is required. I hope you know this guys name/position. Whether they post or not, they need to know that this "policy" will cost them.

Not particularly picking on Gutshot. Just using his post to work from.

I don't know that any property owner is obligated to post his rules in advance. Holding to a pre-posted view is essentially saying he has to think up all his policies and post them, and he's in the wrong if he fails to foresee something against which he would make a policy.

Basically, this is a timing matter. A sign notifies in advance. A verbal notification comes later.

Now, here's a bit of a criticism. Basically what is occurring in these situations where an OCer is verbally notified and the OCer asks about a sign is that the OCer is being defensive. The "where's the sign" question is a defensive reaction. Why be defensive? He didn't post a sign, so its not your fault for not seeing it. And, if he did post a sign and you missed it, so what? Its not like you failed to let a little old lady get fully across the street and splashed her with mud. Moreover, and my biggest criticism, is that the "where's the sign" question shows a lack of consideration for the property rights of the business owner. If one really, truly respected his property rights, one wouldn't require him to clutter up his property with one more sign, or spend money on a sign, in order to ward off the occasional OCer. And, perhaps most importantly, one would recognize his right to make up a new policy on the spot and notify verbally.

The owner/agent can tell whoever whichever whenever.

So, don't get defensive if verbally notified. Don't ask about a sign. Just take the high road, be polite, make your exit. If you want to get in a counter-dig (which is your right), you can always point out to him that you won the instant he opened his mouth--you were willing to respect his rights, even though he wasn't willing to respect yours. In fact, I would at the very least say something like, "Oh, sorry, sir. Yes, sir. I will respect your rights even though you won't respect mine. Have a nice day." ("Thanks for giving me the win" would be optional.)

KYKevin

Reminds me of the time I was in the BK a couple blocks from me. A guy was talking to the girls behind the counter. He saw me and my gun as I walked up and said oh oh the po po is here let me get out of the way. I told em I was not a cop and he said why do you have a gun then? Before I could answer the young girl behind the counter told him it was legal to open carry in Kentucky and then she took my order. I was never asked to leave and the manager was right there behind the counter. +1 for her and her knowledge of OC.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
@citizen. You are correct, the owner of a property can tell whoever he wishes to leave if they are OCing. However, he did not speak with the owner/controller of the property, he was speaking to an employee. This employee has no authority to ask anyone to not bring a firearm in their employers store, unless explicitly told to do so by the owner/controller. The best course of action is to ask whoever owns the business, and if they ask you to not carry then go somewhere else for lunch.

This should not be necessary because most business owners who do not want firearms inside their buildings voluntarily post signs prohibiting firearms, just like they post signs denying entrance if you are not wearing shoes or a shirt. His store is open to the public, so it is his job to inform the public what he does not want in his store.

When it comes to property rights, you really do not have many rights. The government tells you WHO you can and can't serve, they tell you WHAT you can and can't serve, they tell you WHAT IS and IS NOT ALLOWED in "YOUR" store, they inspect your store to make sure it is up to their standard, and if not you get shut down!

If a store owner can't prohibit someone from entering because the color of their skin, or because they speak a different language, why should they be allowed to prohibit us from entering while exercising our constitutionally protected rights?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
@citizen. You are correct, the owner of a property can tell whoever he wishes to leave if they are OCing. However, he did not speak with the owner/controller of the property, he was speaking to an employee. This employee has no authority to ask anyone to not bring a firearm in their employers store, unless explicitly told to do so by the owner/controller. The best course of action is to ask whoever owns the business, and if they ask you to not carry then go somewhere else for lunch.

This should not be necessary because most business owners who do not want firearms inside their buildings voluntarily post signs prohibiting firearms, just like they post signs denying entrance if you are not wearing shoes or a shirt. His store is open to the public, so it is his job to inform the public what he does not want in his store.

When it comes to property rights, you really do not have many rights. The government tells you WHO you can and can't serve, they tell you WHAT you can and can't serve, they tell you WHAT IS and IS NOT ALLOWED in "YOUR" store, they inspect your store to make sure it is up to their standard, and if not you get shut down!

If a store owner can't prohibit someone from entering because the color of their skin, or because they speak a different language, why should they be allowed to prohibit us from entering while exercising our constitutionally protected rights?

This something that has been addressed many times before

Yes an employee can deny or restrict what you do in a business - he is a representative of the company. He/she may be disciplined for their actions or not. The store is not the place to "hold court."

Government very seldom instructs what "is allowed" - far more often what is not allowed.

Remember that private businesses are first and foremost private property and those people that carry are not a protected class. Would like in many ways for that to be so, but until that day.............

KYGlockster

Activist Member
This something that has been addressed many times before

Yes an employee can deny or restrict what you do in a business - he is a representative of the company. He/she may be disciplined for their actions or not. The store is not the place to "hold court."

Government very seldom instructs what "is allowed" - far more often what is not allowed.

Remember that private businesses are first and foremost private property and those people that carry are not a protected class. Would like in many ways for that to be so, but until that day.............

Well you've obviously not visited Ky very often. They tell you if you can or can't sell alcohol, they tell you if you can or can't allow smoking, they do visit your resteraunt every month and will shut you down if you are not doing what they allow, if your soil isn't just right you might not even get to build a resteraunt Or anything else for that matter because they will not allow you to build. Just look at what happend in Georgia because a man wanted chickens, or the EPA seizing people's property and fining them thousands a day because they fail to do what the govt. Says or they're property they have owned for years is now protected!

I will post it later, but in this state, ONlY the owner or lessee of a property can deny you
from carrying on their property.

KRS 237.110(17) Read it, signs MUST be posted by the owner or lessee to prohibit carry.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

I will post it later, but in this state, ONlY the owner or lessee of a property can deny you
from carrying on their property.

KRS 237.110(17) Read it, signs MUST be posted by the owner or lessee to prohibit carry.

Explain this please:

(c) Carrying of a concealed weapon, or ammunition, or both in a location specified in paragraph (a) or (b) of this sub-section by a license holder shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial from the premises or removal from the premises, and, if an employee of an employer, disciplinary measures by the employer.
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/237-00/110.PDF

MyWifeSaidYes

If you don't want to 'hold court' after being refused service, simply say, "Okay. Can I get your name and your manager's name and number before I go?" If they want you out right away, offer to pick up that information at the drive-thru window.

Definitely make the call ASAP. As a former restaurant manager, I know I would want to know immediately if an employee was making policy decisions that:

a) I didn't make
b) I didn't agree with
and
c) were costing me paying customers

If I got a call from an OC who was refused service, I would ask them to please return to my store and tell the employee that he/she has a phone call waiting for them in the office. I would 'correct' the employee attitude and the OC would have a meal on the house.

Volksford

This is good info. I had a run in with an employee at circle K and questioned me if we all carried weapons (i was in work uniform). My first resonse was no just me.Then he said they did not allow firearms in the store. Yes, I did say "I didn't see a sign." It just went back and forth after that but it was not overly rude. However it was only my second encountier so I am not overly comfortable yet. Which is why I looked for this site anyway.

Last edited:

hotrod

Sign or not, once you have been asked/told to leave and you refuse, you're trespassing and could be cited.

You can not be charged for trespassing unless you are asked/told to leave in the presence of a LEO. In Kentucky, law enforcement must see the misdemeanor violation before charges can be brought. The store owner can go to the county attorney and file a complaint, but that opens him to the possibility of a lawsuit. I am not suggesting you not leave when asked.

09jisaac

You can not be charged for trespassing unless you are asked/told to leave in the presence of a LEO. In Kentucky, law enforcement must see the misdemeanor violation before charges can be brought. The store owner can go to the county attorney and file a complaint, but that opens him to the possibility of a lawsuit. I am not suggesting you not leave when asked.

Cite?

hotrod

431.015 Citation for misdemeanor -- Arrest for certain misdemeanors -- Failure to appear.
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](1) (a) KRS 431.005 to the contrary notwithstanding, and except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection, apeace officer shall issue a citation instead ofmaking an arrest for a misdemeanor committed in his or her presence, if there are reasonable grounds to believe that the person being cited will appear to answer the charge. The citation shall provide that the defendant shall appear within a designated time.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]