• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC With A Shoulder Holster

Rollbar

[video=youtube;8BczBQjVwrs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BczBQjVwrs[/video]

Just thinking, but I believe it is ok.

Thanks,
Jim

Rollbar

You'll probably get some grief from people who don't like to be muzzled behind you. ;)

Ya, I'll walk in last :shocker: :lol: That is kind of like I told my wife when we got married and I set the shotgun on the table and instructed the gun to shoot her-it didn't listen and she learned a lesson on guns, and the people behind them was the difference. I won't carry one in the chamber when shoulder carry etc. That is of today anyway. I wonder how many people CCW w/a shoulder holster and covered, and we don't even know it. :idea:

Good tip though Jim,

FallonJeeper

I never had a problem with it. Back in the old days. I carried CCW in Florida, one in a shoulder holster and one on my ankle. Most of the shoulder holsters pointed backward, not down. Nobody ever knew. And... my .357 never threw any bullets out by accident.

xmanhockey7

If you're going to OC with a shoulder holster I'd highly recommend getting a vertical holster instead of the horizontal one you're wearing.

Rollbar

If you're going to OC with a shoulder holster I'd highly recommend getting a vertical holster instead of the horizontal one you're wearing.

Why?

Question-Is there a law on the way the holster is worn. Just asking.

Thanks,

Rollbar

No law in NV says a shoulder hoslter has to point down...up...diag...anythin like that. It's more of the safety thing of 'always point in a safe direction'

Agreed-but there are those (i.e.) me who will wear them. Maybe a test around town and comments will help. It does feel real comfortable to wear and even w/a belt holster having not to keep pulling up my pants etc.

xmanhockey7

No law in NV says a shoulder hoslter has to point down...up...diag...anythin like that. It's more of the safety thing of 'always point in a safe direction'

To me it's not as much safety issue as it is someone standing or even being behind me and having the muzzle pointed at them. It's in a holster so I know it's safe but you may run into someone who will not like the muzzle being pointed at them (there are pro gun people who truly believe it is unsafe and no one should do it).

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I'd say it is definitely discernible to ordinary observation, which is what the law requires for open carry. I don't think anyone can look at you and not know that you are carrying a gun.

As for the muzzle pointing to the rear, there is no law. Also, with the gun pointed downward, you may find yourself on the second floor of a building, but of course unless the floor is made of glass no one would know the gun was pointed in their general direction. For an open muzzle holster I could see someone whining that the gun was pointed at them, but if it is a closed muzzle holster even though a piece of leather or plastic does not stop a bullet, I think psychologically it may be less bothersome to the hypothetical bothered observer. I don't think it is a safety issue though as guns do not go off by themselves.

Last edited:

Rollbar

Thanks all for the comments.

I'm gonna use it and when I get my CCW I will use it then as well.

Thanks again,
Jim

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Ya, I'll walk in last :shocker: :lol: That is kind of like I told my wife when we got married and I set the shotgun on the table and instructed the gun to shoot her-it didn't listen and she learned a lesson on guns, and the people behind them was the difference. I won't carry one in the chamber when shoulder carry etc. That is of today anyway. I wonder how many people CCW w/a shoulder holster and covered, and we don't even know it.

Good tip though Jim,
ND is not the issue, but the caution to "cover with the muzzle that only which would be destroyed" is the issue.

How well tailored are your coats and jackets? A pistol in your armpit is quite uncomfortable in a well but improperly tailored suit coat.

FallonJeeper

A well adjusted shoulder holster can be comfortable. It takes a little getting used to. If you're going to conceal carry, then you really need a loose fitting jacket. It doesn't have to be baggy or over sized, just a little loose.

I don't ever recall hearing/reading a story where somebody got shot or an accidental discharge by a firearm that was being worn in a rear facing shoulder holster.

When I carry my .40, in the case that it came in, the muzzle faces forward or rearward, depending on which hand I carry it with. It's never once fired uncommanded.

Same thing, when you have your firearm in your car. Your muzzle is going to be facing somebody at some time. It can't be avoided. Felid`Maximus made a good point with being on the second floor.

Now, if my firearm is out of the holster, and my my finger is around or on the trigger, then the muzzle becomes an issue.

28kfps

There is a sometime poster who posts as Las Vegan who did open carry with a shoulder holster. He made several of our open carry outings. He does have firsthand experience on the issue. He did stop using the shoulder holster for OCing. If I correctly understood him when I asked it was due to people politely telling him they were uncomfortable seeing the muzzle of his firearm unintentional pointing at them. I am not speaking for him or just sharing some info.

Rollbar

Understood-my sons and I each bought one for CCW but the question did come up, that is why I posted/video etc to ask. I can understand the reasons.

Thanks,
Jim