• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BATF at it again

PistolPackingMomma

The Task Force began to make inquiries about the ATF's request and was told by a local agency official that the Bound Book is the property of the ATF and can be picked up anytime they choose.

But the law appears to say something entirely different.

Like that's stopped them before :rolleyes:

I say good on the Alaska gun store! Too bad they're so far away; I'd be happy to give them lots of business! ;)

KBCraig

I recall a story, possibly apocryphal, from long enough ago that it predated things like battery powered scanners and such, but it involved a 01 Dealer and an agent insisting on copying his entire bound book. They weren't going to take it, just copy it.

"Okay, go right ahead."
"Good, where's your copier?"
"Don't have one."

The next day they came back, with their own copier.

"Nope, sorry. I said you can copy it. I didn't say you could use my electricity."

After much huffing and puffing and steaming about, they sat about copying the info they wanted, long-hand on legal tablets.

Dreamer

There is a fourth instance where the BATFE can 'gain access" to a "Bound Book", an it is the ONLY situation where the BATFE takes physical possession of said book--if the FFL goes out of business, they are required to submit the Bound Book to the BATFE.

This isn't over yet. If BATFE wants this book bad enough, they will put this business under and utterly destroy them financially to get it.

This story is probably MUCH deeper than the media is telling. My guess is this is somehow tied to Fast & Furious. Perhaps this gun shop had been facilitating BAATFE-, DEA- and State Department-sanctioned gun sales to straw purchasers for Aisian or Russian drug gangs too.

BATFE is probably trying to get this Bound Book so they can rip out certain pages that incriminate the DOJ, or reveal some of their assets, before it gets subpoenaed by Issa or something...

ncwabbit

Sorry, but it is the cost of doing business w/FFL & NFA or having a C/R and the BATF:
Fed Firearms Regulation 478.23 right of entry and examination outlines when agents can with and w/o a warrant, enter during business hours,
(a)(1) inspect or examine any records or documents required to be kept by such licensee under this part
(a)(2) any inventory of firearms or ammunition kept or stored…
(d) the inspections and examinations provided by this section do not authorize an AFT officer to seize any records or documents other than those records or documents constituting material evidence of a violation of law. If an AFT officer seizes such records or documents, copies shall be provided to the licensee within a reasonable time.
18 USC, 923(g)(1)(A) The Attorney General may inspect or examine the inventory and records of a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer without such reasonable cause or warrant…

wabbit

PS: i believe it would be interesting to hear the whole story on what is going on in AK verse this snip of a segway...

Last edited:

KBCraig

Sorry, but it is the cost of doing business w/FFL & NFA or having a C/R and the BATF:
Fed Firearms Regulation 478.23 right of entry and examination outlines when agents can with and w/o a warrant, enter during business hours,
(a)(1) inspect or examine any records or documents required to be kept by such licensee under this part
(a)(2) any inventory of firearms or ammunition kept or stored…
(d) the inspections and examinations provided by this section do not authorize an AFT officer to seize any records or documents other than those records or documents constituting material evidence of a violation of law. If an AFT officer seizes such records or documents, copies shall be provided to the licensee within a reasonable time.
18 USC, 923(g)(1)(A) The Attorney General may inspect or examine the inventory and records of a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer without such reasonable cause or warrant…

I fixed the portion that you should have highlighted, since it's the part that's relevant to the original article.