• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Defensive Type of Ammo Do You Use in EDC?

neuroblades

After reading the thread on here about Drake being refused purchase of hollow point ammo that lead into the issue of Winchester's infamous "Black Talon" ammo, I started to wonder just what defensive ammo everyone carries in their EDC sidearm?

I, personally, carry one of three types:

1. Federal Hyra Shok
2. Hornady Critical Defense
3. Hornady Critical Duty

The latter one, I'm still gathering information on before actually implimenting it.

The Hydra Shok is older ammo that I used to carry many years ago and happen to run across while doing my house renovation last year. After running a few rounds through my test gun and it was determined that the ammi was in fact still good, it was loaded in a mag for one of my backup sidearms that my girlfriend had.

The Critical Defense is my current self defense ammo of choice for my SIG's, both 9mm and .40 S&W! I do carry a backup 3rd mag that is hard hitting standard ball ammo just in case I ever get into a fire fight and innocents aren't an issue. It's been my experience that while self defense ammo such as Hornady's Critical Defense is great in typical short range SD situations, it really lacks the "punch" of ball ammo to breach typical barriers that might afford a bad guy shelter.

Granted, no typical handgun caliber ammo will punch through a normal brick or block wall but ball ammo will punch through more barriers than the SD ammo will and that leads me to the Hornady Critical Duty, that's designed just for this reason for law enforcemnt.

My hopes are that the Critical Duty ammo will prove itself to be nearly as effective, if not as effective, at punching through the same barriers that standard ball ammo does. If this is the case and it matches the effectiveness of punching through these barriers then that would resolve two issues at once, or as the old people used to say, "Kill two birds with one stone"!

Supposedly, Critical Duty is designed to work just like Critical Defense in a self defense situation, only hitting and penetrating the target's being and then either stopping inside the target or droppping immediately after exiting the target but it supposedly has the ability to penetrate barriers as well as ball ammo does additionally! I know, it sounds too good to be true and perhaps it is but when the data's in we should know.

So, what's you personal self defense ammo load out?

Last edited:

Comm

I use the Hornady CD in almost all my weapons, including my Ruger LCP. The only other ammo is Hydra shock that I use in my 357 revolver.

DrakeZ07

I use "Lawman" FMJ made by Speer from Lewiston ID. for my 40SW Hi-Point. and Federal FMJ for the 45ACP Hi-Point.

I find the Winchester ammo doesnt shoot as well as Federal for the .45; and I haven't tried any other ammo for the .40, so I'm not sure on that one.

SovereignAxe

I've been using a 115gr reload my grandfather made for me. It's proven to be an exceptionally accurate and dependable load. My only complaint is that it's in bare brass casings, and I know it's unlikely it'll ever cause a problem, but I don't like that the top two rounds in each mag get tarnished after extensive carry.

I'd like to get a round that uses nickel plated brass like Speer Gold Dot or Hornady Critical Defense...or just get some nickel plated brass to reload with.

flb_78

Hornady Critical Defense in my LCP and my Taurus 9mm.

Ive seen a lot of testing that shows the Critical Defense to be an excellent round for the smaller calibers.

hornady2.gif

86 slo-vo

Hornady critical defense. Picked up some of their new "zombie max" HP's last week, appear to be the same exact round except a brass case and a green filler in the nose....and it's cheap. I paid $17 for a box of 25 I believe.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
.22 Mag- 40gr. Winchester FMJ-Backup ONLY.

9mm- 124gr. Speer gold dot +p.

.357 Mag.- 125gr. Hornady critical defense; 125gr. Speer gold dot, depends on barrel length.

.357 Sig.- 125gr. Speer gold dot.

.38 spec.- 125gr. Speer gold dot +p; 135gr. Speer gold dot +p, depends on barrel length.

.40 s&w- 155gr. Speer gold dot; 165gr. Hornady critical defense, depends on barrel length.

10mm- 155gr. Doubletap nosler JHP, 180gr. Buffalobore JHP, depends on barrel length.

.45 a.c.p.- 200gr. Speer gold dot +p, 185gr. Speer gold dot, 230gr. Hornady XTP +p, depends on barrel length.

Very rarely carry anything smaller than .40, unless I'm carrying .357 sig., or .357 mag. If I carry an extra gun, it is usually a .38 on my ankle, or .22 mag in my pocket.

neuroblades

I've been using a 115gr reload my grandfather made for me. It's proven to be an exceptionally accurate and dependable load. My only complaint is that it's in bare brass casings, and I know it's unlikely it'll ever cause a problem, but I don't like that the top two rounds in each mag get tarnished after extensive carry.

I'd like to get a round that uses nickel plated brass like Speer Gold Dot or Hornady Critical Defense...or just get some nickel plated brass to reload with.

Please do not think me crass or being a jerk about this but why are you taking the risk of carrying re-loads in your defensive weapon?

neuroblades

Hornady Critical Defense in my LCP and my Taurus 9mm.

Ive seen a lot of testing that shows the Critical Defense to be an excellent round for the smaller calibers.

hornady2.gif

Hornady has made one of the best defensive rounds that's on the market currently but given the progression of things, there will end up being something better in a few years. *LOL* Critical Duty might just be that ammo in fact. :)

neuroblades

Hornady critical defense. Picked up some of their new "zombie max" HP's last week, appear to be the same exact round except a brass case and a green filler in the nose....and it's cheap. I paid $17 for a box of 25 I believe.

You'd better either stock up on that Zombie Max ammo and hold back a box or three, that will end up being a collectible in a few years, unless the zombies attack before then! *LOL*

neuroblades

.22 Mag- 40gr. Winchester FMJ-Backup ONLY.

9mm- 124gr. Speer gold dot +p.

.357 Mag.- 125gr. Hornady critical defense; 125gr. Speer gold dot, depends on barrel length.

.357 Sig.- 125gr. Speer gold dot.

.38 spec.- 125gr. Speer gold dot +p; 135gr. Speer gold dot +p, depends on barrel length.

.40 s&w- 155gr. Speer gold dot; 165gr. Hornady critical defense, depends on barrel length.

10mm- 155gr. Doubletap nosler JHP, 180gr. Buffalobore JHP, depends on barrel length.

.45 a.c.p.- 200gr. Speer gold dot +p, 185gr. Speer gold dot, 230gr. Hornady XTP +p, depends on barrel length.

Very rarely carry anything smaller than .40, unless I'm carrying .357 sig., or .357 mag. If I carry an extra gun, it is usually a .38 on my ankle, or .22 mag in my pocket.

If I had the choice between .40 S&W or .357 SIG, I think I'd go with the >357 SIG for the ballistics and the stopping power. Granted in my situation, that would require the barrel upgrade and that's about a couple hundred dollars. :-/

09jisaac

You'd better either stock up on that Zombie Max ammo and hold back a box or three, that will end up being a collectible in a few years, unless the zombies attack before then! *LOL*

That is why I am keeping two boxes of it. My gf got me some .223 (5.56?) and 12ga for my birthday last year. It is some pretty sweet looking rounds.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
If I had the choice between .40 S&W or .357 SIG, I think I'd go with the >357 SIG for the ballistics and the stopping power. Granted in my situation, that would require the barrel upgrade and that's about a couple hundred dollars. :-/
The .357 sig. Is probably my favorite round, and I go with gold dot all the way. I bought a few new boxes of gold dots today and noticed they have changed the bullet design. Being the ballistics guy "I think I am," I done a test on the new round. Of course it did not disappoint, and both rounds fired looked identical, and expanded to over .70 inches, which is incredible. Gold dot never disappoints; Hornady usually doesn't either, but their .357 sig. XTP Load balls up when fired, and does not have the expansion as the GD. However, if you want deeper penetration the XTP would be the load of choice.