• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member in hickory/conover area and first OC experience

Ncglock

I am new to OC and I was wondering if anyone ever OC's around the hickory/conover area. I started carrying a few days ago and loved the feeling of being prepared and safe. I went into walmart in hickory and passed a lEO and he just nodded and went about his buisness Are there any stores in the area that are against open carry. Thank you in advanced for the help

chiefjason

If it was the night guard, we've already talked a couple times. lol The only hassle I have had around Hickory was at Granite Falls Walmart. Night mgr. gave me some problems. I got that straightened out though. Several of us OC around Hickory. Pretty uneventful for the most part. That's a good thing though. I OC at the Conover Walmart pretty regularly. It's on my way home, so I stop in for stuff a lot.

muccione

Welcome to the site. I have been carrying for about 1.5 years in the Hickory/ Conover area. Pretty much uneventful. If you see someone carrying say hello.

Ricky

Carry all the time in Hickory. LEO's have been no problem. Passed one in Dicks Sporting goods a few months ago he did take a second look but smiled and went on his way. Never a problem in Hickory for me. Did have a few people ask me if it was legal and had a short, but nice talk educating them. Carry on............

Shimmer

Carry all the time in Hickory. LEO's have been no problem. Passed one in Dicks Sporting goods a few months ago he did take a second look but smiled and went on his way. Never a problem in Hickory for me. Did have a few people ask me if it was legal and had a short, but nice talk educating them. Carry on............

Same. I open carry in the Walmart, Harris Teeter, and Lowes often in Hickory, although I rarely make it out to Conover. I haven't had a single problem thus far, although I am careful to be presentable whenever I carry, too.

Ricky

I would agree I dress very nice so to speak when I carry. Blue jeans, shirt tucked, clean shaven etc. I try to carry myself in a professional manner. Hate it has to be this way but first contact sets the tone or thought pattern from the observer. I guess some of my habits come from my past as a former Marine. Those who have served in the Marines know they harp on the details etc....Anyway, carry on my friends and do it with confidence, but always be ready for that one person and what you might say in response......
Same. I open carry in the Walmart, Harris Teeter, and Lowes often in Hickory, although I rarely make it out to Conover. I haven't had a single problem thus far, although I am careful to be presentable whenever I carry, too.

chiefjason

I generally don't care anymore. I used to. I wear what I have on. Usually jeans or shorts and untucked t shirt. Occasionally greasy shirt from working on something, or dirty from working in the yard. I'm not going to clean up to go to Auto Zone or Home Depot in the middle of a project. YMMV.