Thread: Laws on carrying a rifle?

Laws on carrying a rifle?

Other then in a vehicle or where any other guns are prohibited, what are the laws on carrying a rifle? I recently bought a folding stock AK and it got me thinking if it would be legal to actually conceal carry it. (Yes I can conceal it completely with my winter jacket)

No I'm not looking to actually do this but I'm curious on if it's even legal to do. I checked NH's RSA and I could find nothing talking about long guns but just handguns for carry.

I'm not looking for opinions either, it's just a hypothetical question that came to when playing with my new toy.

Welcome to OCDO.

I believe the entire forum's collective wisdom on this can be summed up as "It's a stuipd idea!" There was a young man from Kentucky/Tennessee who became famous for being the doofus who painted his barrel tip orange and OCd his AK folder just to see what the cops would do then got all butthurt when the cops did just what he expected them to do.

Don't be that guy. (I believe that after he got banned everybody sort of agreed that he would become "he whose name is not mentioned".)

Normalizing the open carry of handguns is difficult enough.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Welcome to OCDO.

I believe the entire forum's collective wisdom on this can be summed up as "It's a stuipd idea!" There was a young man from Kentucky/Tennessee who became famous for being the doofus who painted his barrel tip orange and OCd his AK folder just to see what the cops would do then got all butthurt when the cops did just what he expected them to do.

Don't be that guy. (I believe that after he got banned everybody sort of agreed that he would become "he whose name is not mentioned".)

Normalizing the open carry of handguns is difficult enough.

stay safe.
    Skidmark, I don't believe he was looking for your opinion on whether or not he SHOULD he was wanting clarification of the law which he cannot find on his own.

Give me a little while and I'll see what I can find out.

Sent from my BlackBerry while OCing at the Zoo

I did some digging through the RSA library as well. Nothing came up, which suggests that since there are no laws against it that it is likely legal.

To be absolutely certain, I would recommend contacting the NH Attorney General's office and putting the question directly to them.
    I'd phrase it along the lines of "are there ANY laws that I should be aware of regarding carry of long guns outside of a vehicle in the State of New Hampshire?"

I'd wager that the response will be "No, but just be careful out there"

Here's the contact information for the AG's office:

NH Department of Justice
    33 Capitol Street
    Concord, NH 03301
    Telephone: 603-271-3658
    Fax: 603-271-2110
    TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964

Normal business hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Get the response from them in writing, so if you decide to avail yourself of your right to bear arms in the manner that you described, you will have a resource to provide to law enforcement should they become involved, for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Tactical9mm; 04-09-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    • (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Been done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbHK_...4&feature=plcp

Ok, this next one is an AR-15 pistol, but most people wouldn't know the difference.... heck even a LEO who drive by just waved (not captured in the video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JInfV...8&feature=plcp