• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder rig

Sorcice

I am going to be buying a shoulder rig soon and need some advice. If anyone has any pros/cons the info is much appreciated. If anyone has worn a horizontal i'd like to know how the lumps under the arms fare as I haven't gotten to try it out yet So far I've been looking at leather horizontal(I'm aware of the horizontal ND danger but I always draw finger to slide and my hammer is never back when holstered), not sure if I want black/tan leather or what brand. So far I like this: http://www.falcoholsters.com/eshop/...ters/95-shoulder-holster-system-it-42-22.html

I am very open to suggestions. Please help!!

H

Herr Heckler Koch

ND is not the issue, but the caution to "cover with the muzzle that only which would be destroyed" is the issue.

How well tailored are your coats and jackets? A pistol in your armpit is quite uncomfortable in a well but improperly tailored suit coat.

Rollbar

ND is not the issue, but the caution to "cover with the muzzle that only which would be destroyed" is the issue.

Then they should outlaw these type of carry systems. :uhoh:

How well tailored are your coats and jackets? A pistol in your armpit is quite uncomfortable in a well but improperly tailored suit coat.

Suits are fine and most jackets. This system is very comfortable from the limited use worn. I will test it more.

Maybe like someone mentioned, a black cloth (maybe) over the muzzle end for psychological reasons.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Then they should outlaw these type of carry systems.
Are you the poster presenting as a pastor?

Or a tyrant eager to write more law? Where the law is in our hearts and minds and not written by men there is no crime.

Rollbar

Are you the poster presenting as a pastor?

Or a tyrant eager to write more law? Where the law is in our hearts and minds and not written by men there is no crime.

Agreed on the heart mind thing. I am not wanting more laws and please don't try to impose that I am buy my statement. Just saying if it is a danger (and the gun will just go off and shoot someone sitting in a holster for an example) then get rid of them as some implications are on this thread, unless I am understanding it wrong.

I am a poster and I am a minister of the gospel, I am not posing or presenting as anyone. I'm a real deal and love america/my right to carry. Love guns and hunting/shooting and all that.

I was just asking a holster question and I hear it is not good because it is dangerous to use w/the muzzle pointing at some one/or could point at someone.

This just popped into my head-Just thinking about the side carry/regular carry type holster on our sides. It can do the same thing if it went off-we wouldn't know where the bullet would go. What about the sidearm holster that is strapped to the leg and someone sits down-they are muzzled, right. I would like an old western style holster for the GP100 6" barrel w/a leg strap. When I sit down I will muzzle someone across from me. Just asking and not trying to start an argument, but what about that situation. One holster is standing/one sitting doing the same thing. Just getting information and thoughts. I appreciate all of the comments.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I am going to be buying a shoulder rig soon and need some advice. If anyone has any pros/cons the info is much appreciated. If anyone has worn a horizontal i'd like to know how the lumps under the arms fare as I haven't gotten to try it out yet So far I've been looking at leather horizontal(I'm aware of the horizontal ND danger but I always draw finger to slide and my hammer is never back when holstered), not sure if I want black/tan leather or what brand. So far I like this: http://www.falcoholsters.com/eshop/...ters/95-shoulder-holster-system-it-42-22.html

I am very open to suggestions. Please help!!

There's no perfect carry mode or system, so as with all of our choices about what to carry and how to carry it we have to consider the pros and cons. Concealment varies with your manner of dress and body build. I have some shoulder holsters that conceal fairly well with the right clothing. Shoulder holsters are somewhat more popular with females because often with their shorter torsos and curvy hips a hip holster may dig into their ribs. Women also tend to have greater flexibility, therefore the cross draw from a shoulder holster may be easier for them. In terms of comfort, a shoulder holster may distribute the weight in a more comfortable manner-- but I've noticed it can get uncomfortable with a larger gun after a number of hours. They particularly make sense for people who are seated much of the time, spend a lot of time in vehicles, or.... spend a lot of time in the bathroom. (e.g. "Fish" on Barney Miller.) The two rigs that I use I got specifically for long distance drives. After a couple of 3-day drives to the west coast I decided to rethink the belt holster in terms of comfort.

I consider the major drawback to be the slower draw from a shoulder holster. As mentioned, with horizontal rigs, the muzzle is pointed in such a way that one has to be conscientious. The muzzle not only will cover other people, but possibly yourself as you draw. As far as the "psychological reaction" of other people, I think horizontal rigs are suitable for concealed carry only. And people will not fail to notice an OC shoulder holster the same way they often fail to see the gun on your belt.

Sorcice

Thanks everyone. One tidbit I probably should have mentioned is that I will be driving cab and figured I'd have better access to my gun from a shoulder rig vs my super tuck. I love the super tuck for driving but it's kind of a pain to draw effectively from sitting position. If I could mount something on the seat I would but I can't and I also have to get out of the car on occasion to help older people or people with groceries/ other stuff get loaded in the trunk. I'll be wearing a windbreaker to conceal the shoulder rig. Nice and poofy but light for most weather. if it gets too hot I can always go back super tuck.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I worn a horizonal shoulder rig for 30 plus years I like them much better then the verical ones.

Leather, nylon ,a combo of both with the right rig and pistol they work very well. The one I worn 5 days a week 8 plus hrs a day was a leather holster nylon straps and mag holder for a S@W 3913 worked very well.

I use a uncle mikes for my Ti 41 back packing some times for my 5.5 redhawk.

In the winter or when it is chilly enough for a light jacket or wind breaker one can conceal any thing under a suit coat a med frame or smaller 4 inch auto or revolver is easy.

wrightme

That isn't an 'issue' unless the firearm is in the hand. In a holster with the trigger covered, it is a chunk of metal. Handling is a different act than holstered.