• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MA vs VA

Recon by Fire

Recently move to VA from MA. Thought I'd offer a quick compare and contrast of CCP in both.

In MA to get a CCP ( and you cannot buy pistols or ammo without it.. I am unsure of long rifles...) you visit your local police station. In my case I'm in luck because I come from the west half of the state which is very pro-gun. I paid $100, had my fingerprints and photo taken and walked out with my CCP, which is valid for 5 years.

In VA I had to go to a court house ( pain in the butt because it is only open during hours which I work), paid $50..and went back 14 days later..only to be told: "No I said it was a 45 day wait, not 4 to 5... you know a lot of people think I say 4 to 5, but it is 45..." So, I'm still waiting.

TFred

Recently move to VA from MA. Thought I'd offer a quick compare and contrast of CCP in both.

In MA to get a CCP ( and you cannot buy pistols or ammo without it.. I am unsure of long rifles...) you visit your local police station. In my case I'm in luck because I come from the west half of the state which is very pro-gun. I paid $100, had my fingerprints and photo taken and walked out with my CCP, which is valid for 5 years.

In VA I had to go to a court house ( pain in the butt because it is only open during hours which I work), paid $50..and went back 14 days later..only to be told: "No I said it was a 45 day wait, not 4 to 5... you know a lot of people think I say 4 to 5, but it is 45..." So, I'm still waiting.
This was in Stafford County, I take it? Curious, what did they give you when you went there? Any sort of information other than the application itself?

Welcome to OCDO! Check out vcdl.org as well.

TFred

mk4

and how does this relate, even remotely, to open carry in virginia? :rolleyes:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Because he has just experienced the culture shock of moving from The Peoples Republik Of Taxachusetts to The Old Dominion. Finding out that rights exist inherently instead of being "granted" by the state. Not needing to have several well-connected personages "stand up" for him and still take the roll of the dice if the Chief LEO will deign to grant him permission, and can/will take it away on any whim. Being amongst folks who think a handgun is merely a tool that honest, law-abiding folks carry around openly for all to see, as opposed to being forced to hide it away lest he start some sort of stampede.

I could go on and on, but won't. He came from one of the most repressive and regressive places to the Land of Sunshine, Milk and Honey, and apparently jumped head-first into the waters of OCing.

And yes, it does require that you go to the courthouse during normal business hours if you do not mail in your CHP application with a certified copy of your govt-issued picture ID and have your signature notarized somewhere.

I can understand the eagerness to get the CHP. Just don't be completely let down when you see what it looks like. And be sure to sign it before you get it laminated at your convenient office supply store. (Should cost you no more than $1)

Welcome to Virginia and to OCDO from a former Mass-hole. In another thread I encouraged you to join VCDL www.vcdl.org and to come to the OC breakfasts and dinners. Stafford is sort of half-way between Richmond and NoVa. We who live on the proper side of the North Fork of the North Anna River would hope you choose us, but if you insist on risking your sanity in NoVa we will try not to make too much fun of you.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Because he has just experienced the culture shock of moving from The Peoples Republik Of Taxachusetts to The Old Dominion. Finding out that rights exist inherently instead of being "granted" by the state. Not needing to have several well-connected personages "stand up" for him and still take the roll of the dice if the Chief LEO will deign to grant him permission, and can/will take it away on any whim. Being amongst folks who think a handgun is merely a tool that honest, law-abiding folks carry around openly for all to see, as opposed to being forced to hide it away lest he start some sort of stampede.

I could go on and on, but won't. He came from one of the most repressive and regressive places to the Land of Sunshine, Milk and Honey, and apparently jumped head-first into the waters of OCing.

And yes, it does require that you go to the courthouse during normal business hours if you do not mail in your CHP application with a certified copy of your govt-issued picture ID and have your signature notarized somewhere.

I can understand the eagerness to get the CHP. Just don't be completely let down when you see what it looks like. And be sure to sign it before you get it laminated at your convenient office supply store. (Should cost you no more than $1)

Welcome to Virginia and to OCDO from a former Mass-hole. In another thread I encouraged you to join VCDL www.vcdl.org and to come to the OC breakfasts and dinners. Stafford is sort of half-way between Richmond and NoVa. We who live on the proper side of the North Fork of the North Anna River would hope you choose us, but if you insist on risking your sanity in NoVa we will try not to make too much fun of you.

stay safe.

Yeah....but...he might feel more at home in NOVA. I wonder if he eats Bar-B-Q?:uhoh:

mk4

i read the original post differently, Skid.

it reads, to me anyway, that the western part of ma which is described as "very pro-gun", is much more efficient, even though a may-issue state, than va is. the op is saying that one can walk in to the police station with the $100 fee, get photographed and printed, and walk out with a 5 year permit, but, is voicing consternation that a va permit wasn't ready in 14 days, and was told that it would take 45. it also sounds like the clerk got snarky with the op.

no discussion or query about open carry that i see, just observations on the two permit processes...

ManInBlack

Ha Ha ... You used MA and pro gun in the same sentence. :)

LOL, no, not quite.

Recon by Fire said:
In MA to get a CCP ( and you cannot buy pistols or ammo without it.. I am unsure of long rifles...) you visit your local police station>>>.<<< In my case I'm in luck because I come from the west half of the state which is very pro-gun.

Note the period.

Now, if I am understanding the OP correctly, he is saying that one must have a carry permit to purchase handguns in Massachusetts? In other words, there is no purchase or possession permit that one can obtain merely to own a handgun, but not carry it? I have never heard of such a system.

riverrat10k

Welcome to VA!

Maybe it's only about the fee in W. Mass. Not open carry related though.

He can buy a gun here with proof of residency, no permit, and oc when he walks out of the shop!

Dreamer

And ANYONE can buy ammo in VA--no ID, no permit, no paperwork, no hassle.

Just walk into any sporting goods store or WalMart, plunk down your cash, and you can buy any sort of ammo you want.

As much as MD sucks with having to provide ID to buy "handgun ammo", at least I don't need a permit to do it. I didn't know that about Massachusetts. That must REALLY suck...

To the OP--welcome to VA. I lived there for 10+ years, and it really is the "land of milk and honey" in the region, as far as gun rights go. I use ANY excuse available to "cross the moat" and exercise my rights, but family ties keep me bound to the PRM for now. Count yourself lucky...

TFred

And ANYONE can buy ammo in VA--no ID, no permit, no paperwork, no hassle.

Just walk into any sporting goods store or WalMart, plunk down your cash, and you can buy any sort of ammo you want.

As much as MD sucks with having to provide ID to buy "handgun ammo", at least I don't need a permit to do it. I didn't know that about Massachusetts. That must REALLY suck...

To the OP--welcome to VA. I lived there for 10+ years, and it really is the "land of milk and honey" in the region, as far as gun rights go. I use ANY excuse available to "cross the moat" and exercise my rights, but family ties keep me bound to the PRM for now. Count yourself lucky...
I think there is still the 18/21 years old federal requirement for buying long gun / handgun ammo from a dealer. You'd need ID if you are close to those ages.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
See bold: Why?

TFred

OK, you got me. Not required by law. Should have been "photocopy of proof of instruction".

My mind has been cluttered with getting my military ID for commissary privileges. Confused the two processes.

Thank you for being gentle.

stay safe.

TFred

OK, you got me. Not required by law. Should have been "photocopy of proof of instruction".

My mind has been cluttered with getting my military ID for commissary privileges. Confused the two processes.

Thank you for being gentle.

stay safe.
My momma taught me to respect my elders.... and especially those who have blazed trails before me. :)

And... I'm on a kick for reviewing CHP application packages before the new law takes effect that prohibits clerks from so much as requesting non-required information... that's the only reason I knew. I suspect this one (copies of photo-ID) will be one of the most common areas across the state that will need to be changed on July 1st, and it will probably be met with much resistance in certain areas.

(However, if one were to take a moment to consider the issue, there are virtually no consequences to not requiring ID. The last 5 years of addresses must match up with your records, and the law will require mailing the CHP to the address of record, and there is no photo associated with the CHP itself, thus requiring another form of ID before the CHP can be used anyway. Other than having someone PAY for YOU to get a CHP, there are simply no reasons to require a photo-ID to run through the process.)

TFred

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Hard to imagine saying Massachusetts and Virginia in the same breath, much less comparing them with such things as keeping and bearing arms. I just hope that any MA residue remains outside of our borders so as not to taint that which we still hold dear here in our state.

Now as to you fellows who insist upon maligning NOVA (and believe me, I can understand why), please do remember that there are a number of us natives up here who still think like and keep in our hearts what it means to be a Virginian. We have not been polluted with the dilution of the "inside the beltway" mentality.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hard to imagine saying Massachusetts and Virginia in the same breath, much less comparing them with such things as keeping and bearing arms. I just hope that any MA residue remains outside of our borders so as not to taint that which we still hold dear here in our state.

Now as to you fellows who insist upon maligning NOVA (and believe me, I can understand why), please do remember that there are a number of us natives up here who still think like and keep in our hearts what it means to be a Virginian. We have not been polluted with the dilution of the "inside the beltway" mentality.

:lol:

Gotta keep reading between the lines SB.

While I'll never believe that NOVA is a part of Virginia and they only continue to claim to be to irritate me....I have always said that it ain't the real estate, it's the person.

That's why I make the distinction between a NOVAite ( a person of low character, either descended from a Carpetbagger or one himself..Gender non specific), and a Virginian trapped behind enemy lines.

Real Estate DOES NOT MAKE THE MAN. Did you know LEO229 was from North Carolina!
The pure shame of it has been traumatic for our Brothers and Sisters to the South. To their credit, they loaded him on a train with Child Molesters, Necrophiliacs and other undesirables.....and shipped him to NOVA:lol::lol::lol::lol:

On the other hand, we have many fine Virginians who came from up North. Proshooter and I believe Grapeshot. Better people were never made.

Last edited:

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran

Because we're the "shock troops" of the gun rights movement and we are willing to help acclimate someone to Virginia. Am I the only one that feels these "how is it related to open carry" questions all the time put off potential new members and good citizens that we need to embrace instead of insulting? Come on.

Welcome to Virginia Recon and OCDO.

Last edited:

Recon by Fire

This was in Stafford County, I take it? Curious, what did they give you when you went there? Any sort of information other than the application itself?

Welcome to OCDO! Check out vcdl.org as well.

TFred

They gave nothing. And how did you figure it was Stafford? Correct btw.

Recon by Fire

i read the original post differently, Skid.

it reads, to me anyway, that the western part of ma which is described as "very pro-gun", is much more efficient, even though a may-issue state, than va is. the op is saying that one can walk in to the police station with the $100 fee, get photographed and printed, and walk out with a 5 year permit, but, is voicing consternation that a va permit wasn't ready in 14 days, and was told that it would take 45. it also sounds like the clerk got snarky with the op.

no discussion or query about open carry that i see, just observations on the two permit processes...

Ya, sorry if I created an issue. Indeed that was my point. I'll shut up now!

Recon by Fire

Some of you may be surprised to learn that a good part of MA is filled with freedom loving hunters, fishers, and good ole boys. Sadly the power in the state is focused in Boston. I think something happens when you live in a city that destorys your sense of self.