• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

first day open carrying in fayetteville

Commo

I will b open carrying for the first time today. Ben around guns all my life and in the military but never carried in public before until now. I'm in fayetteville and Legitimately fear for my families safety sometimes. I have my tape recorder and Im ready to go. Ill let you all know how it goes. Hopefully uneventful. Any one else here open carrying in fayetteville have any problems with a LEO?

bc.cruiser

Welcome to OCing in Fayetteville. I and a number of others do it regularly with no problems at all. Just remember where you are so that you don't end up somewhere you shouldn't. Cross Creek mall is a posted no-gun site; any place that serves alcohol; of course, any place that posts "no firearms". Lowe's, Target, Dick's, Gander Mtn, most grocery stores, Wells Fargo all are friendly.

There are at least 6 of us from Fay'ville on this forum. Check out ncgunowners.com for more.

About the LEOs: Absolutely no problem in this regard. That includes being at the front door of the Fayetteville PD station to get info.

Last edited:

jrj_51

Welcome! I can also say that open carry in Fayetteville has been a non-issue. I've had a few people ask about open carrying but that's it. I don't care to go anywhere in Fayetteville unarmed and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone else.

Commo

Thanks for the feedback. I figured fayetteville was a pro carry place with all the military. I also should of tan a clue when my house was broke into (noone was home) and the cop that showed up asked if I had any guns. I said all still back in Maryland and he jokingly called my dumb (in nicer words )for not having one. This was over a year ago. All my guns are here now.

Glock19fan

I will b open carrying for the first time today. Ben around guns all my life and in the military but never carried in public before until now. I'm in fayetteville and Legitimately fear for my families safety sometimes. I have my tape recorder and Im ready to go. Ill let you all know how it goes. Hopefully uneventful. Any one else here open carrying in fayetteville have any problems with a LEO?

I am stationed at Bragg as well but havent carried in Fayetteville. I live out past Lillington and have OCd in many of the towns north of there. If we can get some folks, maybe we could do a OC lunch in Fayetteville, or Spring Lake.

E.J.

michaelleal01

fayetteville

welcome to the club. I OC mostly on Ramsey and Skibo stores. I have run into a couple other OCers at Walmart,Target and Ollie's. I've only had an issue at Golden Corral on Ramsey situation manager who wanted me to tell people I was a cop if they asked. We talked about this in another thread, never lie about being an LEO. Know the law and practice your rights. No alcohol and watch your surroundings. I think we can all learn from the Zimmerman indecent in Florida, don't provoke confrontation but be ready for it if needed. good luck, love to h
ave a fayetteville lunch!

Chief1297

Another welcome from Fayetteville. I have had no problems so far either in over 2 years. NC does have some really stupid rules and it pays to know what they are (no restaurant carry, no carry in parades or admission charging locations, etc).

Glock19fan

Do you all know of any place in Spring Lake that could handle one. In Fayetteville I am thinking about Golden Corral off of Skibo on a pay day. Would rather do one in Spring Lake though. Let me know what you all think. If anyone is intrested let me know so we can start getting numbers and find a place that could handle the folks.

rotorhead

Do you all know of any place in Spring Lake that could handle one. In Fayetteville I am thinking about Golden Corral off of Skibo on a pay day. Would rather do one in Spring Lake though. Let me know what you all think. If anyone is intrested let me know so we can start getting numbers and find a place that could handle the folks.

Most places in Fayetteville and Spring Lake are good with OC. I've never had an official problem with any LEO or regular joe out here. A few random questions out there but nothing unusual or overly adverse.

Places in Spring Lake that might be good for a Meet & Stuff-your-self session could be the new IHOP or something like that. Most of the fast food places are good with it, too.

There's not too many places over the past 20 years or so that I've found that have a problem with people carrying, of the ones where it's not against state law (alcohol served, etc), that is. I've only been asked to leave one place in many years and that was some off the wall cheap smokes place run by some haji guy. Meh, no worries.

lannie

EJ,
If you find a place, I would be happy to set up a MEET UP on the TOC website.
Just get me the time,date and place.
People can check the MEET UP at www.meetup.com/triangle-open-carry
Lannie (TOC Event Organizer)

Glock19fan

EJ,
If you find a place, I would be happy to set up a MEET UP on the TOC website.
Just get me the time,date and place.
People can check the MEET UP at www.meetup.com/triangle-open-carry
Lannie (TOC Event Organizer)

Lannie, I will check out a few places tomorrow or Friday. When I talk to a manager, how many seats should I reserve as a starting point? Is there a good number to go with?

Glock19fan

Most places in Fayetteville and Spring Lake are good with OC. I've never had an official problem with any LEO or regular joe out here. A few random questions out there but nothing unusual or overly adverse.

Places in Spring Lake that might be good for a Meet & Stuff-your-self session could be the new IHOP or something like that. Most of the fast food places are good with it, too.

There's not too many places over the past 20 years or so that I've found that have a problem with people carrying, of the ones where it's not against state law (alcohol served, etc), that is. I've only been asked to leave one place in many years and that was some off the wall cheap smokes place run by some haji guy. Meh, no worries.

I even though I do go to Bragg every day, I have not carried into Fayetteville or Spring Lake. The IHOP sounds good but also looking at the Golden Corral on Skibo as well.

Northern Bear

Lets Meet up

I am from Michigan and have reciprocity with NC and travel for work anywhere from Virginia to Georgia and am working in Fayetteville now. Count me in for a meet up. Like to meet more like me and chat.

lannie

Lannie, I will check out a few places tomorrow or Friday. When I talk to a manager, how many seats should I reserve as a starting point? Is there a good number to go with?

Tell the manager you expect 10 to 15 people, it may vary a few people up or down.
Put the meetup on the MEETUP website about 2 or 3 weeks in advance.
Then call the manager a few days before your MEETUP and you will have a better
idea how many might show. But always tell the manager it could be a few more or less.
Lannie (Event organizer)

89Foxbody

So ive carried in mainly Fayetteville and Hoke county for the past five years and with only two real incidents other than the usual looks and stares. The first was the owner of a laundry mat on rim rd who didnt want me to carry in his non posted business, so i left and went elsewhere. The second was very recently at the wells fargo on raeford rd. I walk in proceed to fill out a deposit slip and go to the empty line. As i proceed forward i notice someone aproach from the other side of the bank, she informs me shes the branch mgr. and that its illegal to open carry in her bank. i inform her that i dont make it a habit to break the law and dont believe shes correct and she proceeds with banks have special laws that prohibit me from OC. Bank was not posted to those wondering. Other than that its been great.
Oh and @ b.c. cruiser which wells fargo do yo u OC in.

bc.cruiser

Normally, the Raeford Rd branch. I was just in there last week conducting business with an assistant manager. I'd love to get the name of the manager who told you that. I was by there today; wish I'd read this earlier. I would have made a point of going in. My next day off is Monday; sounds like a bank trip waiting to happen.:D

You apparently live in the Cliffdale area. You may see me occasionally on a beige BMW, OCing.:cool:

89Foxbody

Was kind of in a rush so i didnt get her name, but she was maybe 5'5" brown hair and i want to say glasses. Its funny because i have OC'd everywhere allowed by law for several years with the exception of banks. i guess i just didnt want to deal with any potential drama but after seeing your post about wells fargo being friendly i figured what the hell and gave it a shot. :D

bc.cruiser

Well Fargo visit 4/23

As promised, I went to the Fayetteville's Raeford Rd Wells Fargo branch yesterday and spoke with the manager.
Her name is Elizabeth Solomon; business-like, good humored, and supportive of those who carry. I introduced myself (also pointing out that I was armed; she had no problem with that) and told her I was there in response to a posting on OCDO (89foxbody, above). She gave her reason for approaching the OP and asking him to leave.

There did seem to be a small amount of confusion as to allowable mode of carry in financial institutions. I tried to correct that (my review of my recording shows I probably sounded more forceful than I intended), but Ms. Solomon refused to get into an argument and referred me to Mr. Decotis (WF security manager in NC).

The info about mode of carry that branch managers comes from the security office. When first contacted, Mr. Decotis claimed that WF is a private corporation and therefore not covered by the "financial institution" definition for gun carry. I called BS on this and explained to them that they are a publicly traded company and, by definition, are a financial institution. I agreed that they do have the right to restrict carry on their property. During my conversation with him, I finally pinned down the Wells Fargo policy as applied here. It is simply to abide by state law, while reserving the rights of the business owner to take action on individual cases. In this regard, a branch manager is considered the store owner. It's worthwhile to note that NC is one of the fortunate few states in which WF is not posted against firearms.

I believe that when we OC, it's fine to be obvious but we should avoid the "in-your-face" demeanor. When a business has more than the infrequent incident of disruptive behavior, that business will stop allowing whatever conduct causes the disruptions.

Final words: Continue carrying in Wells Fargo. Don't be overly concerned with attire (I could probably carry a pair of scoped S&W .500s on my belt and no one would see them below the overhang of my "maternity" shirts.:lol:
Do consider the impact your conduct has on the rest of us.
:cool:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
update 4/25
edited to remove WF statements ref the OP. Also to explain the basis for misunderstood OC/CC laws.
I talked to 89foxbody this morning about this. The two sides don't jibe. I'm going to leave it with my "final words" as above.
Contact for WF security manager Darryll Decotis: darryll.q.decotis@wellsfargo.com; (919) 852-8055

Last edited: