• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Central VA newbie looking for help...

tpapenfuhs

Hey, all.
I've been following these forums for a while now, along with VCDL and a few other gun/OC/CC forums. My father used to collect guns, and I just recently started going to a local range, as I have found that I enjoy target shooting and other such things, event though I am fairly new to all of this. I have 2 questions for those of you whom are more experienced in this area:

1.) Range - What is a good, decently priced range around here? I have been to Dominion with friends/GF a few times, as that is the only one that I know of around here. As I currently don't have a handgun of my own (working on that one), their range/rental fees seemed to be decently priced for casual users. However, as I am looking to get a handgun of my own soon, I am also looking into getting a membership to one of the local ranges, and I'm curious to know what people's experiences have been, and what is the best value for the money (I am on a bit of a budget, after all).

2.) Sellers - What is a good store/dealer around here for handguns? I've heard a lot about Greentop, but haven't made it out that way myself yet. I am asking because one of the main handguns I am looking about getting is selling for about $200-250 at big box stores (Gander Mtn, Bass Pro, et al), but the same gun at Dominion was $370, and it was the smaller version at that (4.5" barrel rather than 6"). I prefer to shop local and support small business, but a $100+ price difference is a little steep for someone on a budget.

Thanks in advance for any help, and have a great day!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO. Welcome to the craziness of the Virginia forum. Go join VCDL www.vcdl.org if you have not already done so.

OK, you know about Dominion. There's the new Colonial range in Henrico County - look here http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...t-the-new-Colonial-shooting-range-in-Richmond for a few comments about the facility and its set-up -- just ignore the political undercurrent for the moment. Black Creek requires NRA membership (not necessarily a bad thing) but if you do not get your application in right at the first of the year you pay full-year price anyhow. Rivana out in Charlottesville has a good rep, as does Cavalier in Hanover County. Ft. Lee has a range that civillians can use. Less rigid rules that the range at Quantico.

Look here http://www.traderscreek.com/gun_clubs/virginia.asp for a fairly decent list of ranges in the state, but I would not even begin to guarantee the up-to-date-ness of the list.

If it's still Monday when you read this, come out to the OC dinner tomorrow (Tuesday) http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Richmond-Area-April-OC-Dinner-4-10-12-at-7-pm and say hello. Folks will be glad to swap opinions about just about anything and everything.

stay safe.

PS - forgot completely about your quest for decent prices. (Pardon me while I double over in hysterical laughter. OK, I'm done.)

Greentops has the best reputation because they are the one most folks go to. DeGoeff's in the town of Mechanicsville is also good. So is Dance's in Colonial Heights. There are a few shops down 460 towards The Virginia Diner that get some mention from time to time. And Virginia Gun trader is the home of face-to-face deals. Just be aware that folks selling want much money and folks buying want to spend little money. GunBroker and Auction Arms are web-based sites that seem to have survived at the top of the food chain.

stay safe.

Last edited:

streetdoc

Another option would be to go to http://www.galleryofguns.com/ use the "Retailer Search" button, select Virginia and select how far you are willing to drive away from you zip code to get a good deal from a Dealer. Some of these dealers are big name stores and others are small shops or even the real little guy working out of his home. I used this method when I bought my FNP 45, prices ranged from $588 to full retail at $750. Each retailer selects what he wants to make off of each gun and sets their price accordingly. Your actual cost will be the retailers price, taxes and shipping. I will do most of my purchases this way.

scouser

I'll add another vote for http://www.galleryofguns.com/ and there is always the option of the next gunshow at either the Showplace or RIR where you'll be able to compare prices from many dealers or even pick up a private sale.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
See all that above? That is what is wrong with buying guns in Virginia - there are just too many options! [/sarcasm]

stay safe.

Sheriff

The biggest problem with buying a firearm out of town now is...... you have to make a second trip back to pick it up, or stay in a hotel for 3 or 4 days until the state police finish their "instant check".

streetdoc

When I went through Gallery of Guns, I selected a home based retailer that was only 35 miles from my home. I was able to see all of the retailers that this major Distributer supplied in Virginia. Some of the retailers included Gandor Mtn, Clark Brothers, SSG Tactical, Marine Corps Exchange-Quantioc, Guns & Ammo Warehouse, Green Top and a lot more. One of the very nice things about Gallery of Guns is you can see inventory levels and retailers that don't have web sites.

tomrkba

Buy online and have it transferred to a local shop. You usually get three days to inspect, though I'd inspect it before doing the paperwork.

gunbroker.com
impactguns.com
budsgunshop.com
summitgunbroker.com
jgsales.com
cdnninvestments.com (download catalog and then call them)
southernohiogun.com
sportingarms.com
topgunsupply.com
gunsamerica.com

Last edited:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
The biggest problem with buying a firearm out of town now is...... you have to make a second trip back to pick it up, or stay in a hotel for 3 or 4 days until the state police finish their "instant check".

I've never had a delay when buying from a private seller :monkey