• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie OC in Richmond, VA

JosephTL

Hello everyone for starters I would like to apologize if I ask a question that has been answered 50x or that might sound stupid to some of you vets!

I just bought my first gun (yay) a S&W M&P 45 (10 shot mag). I just applied for my CC so in 30-45days I believe most of these questions will be obsolete ( I just don't want to get fined or imprisoned by a misunderstanding)

From my understanding I can carry my loaded gun on my hip anywhere accept places of worship, fed buildings, airports, schools, and private properties that don't want me to have a gun on their property. I own my own construction company may I carry at work? Do I need the home owner's permission I usually do residential remodels so the home owners are never there? May I take the gun to Home depot or Wal-Mart or other businesses (I heard that if you do so you can/would get the police called on you because you had a gun)? How about in my vehicle? I've been told I can put my loaded gun on my dash board or passenger seat (if it is not covered) and I would be fine, where also on the same hand I was told if I have the gun within reach it would be an issue. Can I leave it on my hip while driving (I suppose the seat belt would obscure the gun from view).

I appreciate any advice or insight send.
Thanks for your time.
Joseph

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO JosephTL, and the world of responsible freedom.

Quick answer is yes - you can carry it anywhere not restricted.

Please don't lay your gun on your dash and have the risk of it becoming a missile in a sharp turn or similar. Just keep it in your holster on your hip - that's absolutely legal in VA. The test is not whether the gun can be seen from 360 degrees - it is the manner in which you are carrying it. Same thing in a restaurant booth with your strong side to the wall - it is still legal OC.

Wally World OC walk is a right of passage for some.

I was in the contracting business and worked in many private homes. Most of the time I was carrying discretely to avoid the antis and keep the pistol cleaner. As I got to know repeat customers, my friend came out of the closet more often.

Consider joining us for dinner tomorrow evening. Would be good to meet you and a hour or two of conversation will beat a week of research. See post #60
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...nd-Area-April-OC-Dinner-4-10-12-at-7-pm/page3

We also have a breakfast each Sat., smaller group normally - look for a stickie a day or so before.

curtiswr

Welcome to OCDO, Joseph! Have you looked into joining VCDL? If you haven't, you should.

It may be too late for you to squeeze it into your schedule but there is a dinner organized for Richmond area OCDO members, friends, and family tomorrow where you can get some questions and concerns out of the way. It'd be nice if you could join. Here is the thread with details as to when and where:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Richmond-Area-April-OC-Dinner-4-10-12-at-7-pm

I own my own construction company may I carry at work?

Your company, your rules.

Do I need the home owner's permission I usually do residential remodels so the home owners are never there?

Their property, their rules. In your position, paycheck and livelihood depending on it, I would carry concealed in a client's home because you probably depend a lot on word-of-mouth and if you spook/offend an anti that's potentially a lot of lost work.

May I take the gun to Home depot or Wal-Mart or other businesses (I heard that if you do so you can/would get the police called on you because you had a gun)?

Yes. Police may be called by a frightened employee, manager, other customer etc... and you may be asked to leave. The places you listed have generally been friendly, but there have been a few problems here and there for certain people. Here is a thread of a bunch of places people have carried in the Richmond area:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?35242-Open-Carry-Richmond-area

How about in my vehicle? I've been told I can put my loaded gun on my dash board or passenger seat (if it is not covered) and I would be fine, where also on the same hand I was told if I have the gun within reach it would be an issue. Can I leave it on my hip while driving (I suppose the seat belt would obscure the gun from view).

Here's a sticky (was made permanently at-the-top-of-the-forum because it is deemed important and is a subject that comes up very frequently) that covers a range of carrying in a car:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...thout-a-CHP-(Concealed-Handgun-Permit)-STICKY

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Hello everyone for starters I would like to apologize if I ask a question that has been answered 50x or that might sound stupid to some of you vets!

Welcome to OCDO. No question is stupid, but sometimes the use of even the cumbersome search function is appreciaed. Not so much in your case.

I just bought my first gun (yay) a S&W M&P 45 (10 shot mag). I just applied for my CC so in 30-45days I believe most of these questions will be obsolete ( I just don't want to get fined or imprisoned by a misunderstanding)

Reasonable goal.

From my understanding I can carry my loaded gun on my hip anywhere accept places of worship Not totally accurate - you need "good and sufficient reason" and the church folks to have not asked you not to, fed buildings be aware that some structures are not Feferal buildings - especially true in National Parks, airports just not inside the terminal buildings and where access is restricted - private (non-commercial) aviation areas are usually OK , schools generally, but there are a few exemptions, and private properties that don't want me to have a gun on their property. I own my own construction company may I carry at work? Are you the boss? Did the boss say no? Do I need the home owner's permission I usually do residential remodels so the home owners are never there? I do not think there is a law governing this, but common courtesy says you ought to clear it with those owners that are at home. Some foks just carry on and wait for the homeowner to bring up the issue. May I take the gun to Home depot or Wal-Mart or other businesses Yes! (I heard that if you do so you can/would get the police called on you because you had a gun hardly ever happens)? How about in my vehicle? I've been told I can put my loaded gun on my dash board or passenger seat (if it is not covered) and I would be fine as well as actually on your hip!, where also on the same hand I was told if I have the gun within reach it would be an issue to some cops merely breathing is an "issue" Whatcha gonna do?. Can I leave it on my hip while driving (I suppose the seat belt would obscure the gun from view) See above. Again, Yes!.

I appreciate any advice or insight send.
Thanks for your time.
Joseph

Welcome to OCDO, go join VCDL www.vcdl.org . Come to the OC breakfasts and dinners (look for sticky threads on them).

I know I'm supposed to provide a citation to the law, but it seems you have sort of read over 18.2-308 http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308 already.

stay safe.

ryan7068

Keep your gun holstered, keep calm, and say little! That has worked well for me.

I was quite nervous and asked the exact questions as you when I first started to OC. If ever confronted by someone with a conflicting attitude including John Q. Law.....don't buy into it and politely carry on with your day. As a baseline for interactions with the police if confronted.....I personally am willing to verbally give my Name and address and ask if I am being detained. If the answer is no.....walk off be polite and say have a nice day. I'm not quite as hardline as some about police interactions. I know some cities here have requirements for verbally presenting your name and or adress in certain situations and I don't really wanna keep track. Ultimately always try to carry yourself in a polite/ presentable manner. I'm certain that you could carry daily for a year and only come up with one or two negative encounters in VA. We love our guns in VA! Just my two cents :p

JosephTL

I would like to thank you guys for responding so quickly to my questions. Put me down for two maybes for the dinner. I'm assuming everyone/most coming will be Oc/cc?

Once again thanks for the reposes =)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I would like to thank you guys for responding so quickly to my questions. Put me down for two maybes for the dinner. I'm assuming everyone/most coming will be Oc/cc?

At our meet n' greets, OC, CC or noC are equally acceptable. Just bring your appetite and prepare to meet good, everyday folks.

Will keep the light burning for you.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

OC, CC, NoC, just curious and want to see the freak show (as long as you remain polite) are all welcome.

If you bring your autograph book at least have the decency to keep it out of sight until you are asking someone to sign it. For the record, I only sign blank checks made out to me - that endorsement line on the back is just so handy!:lol:

stay safe.

mk4

you assume correctly!
it'll likely be the safest restaurant in town for the couple hours of the dinner! ;)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
you assume correctly!
it'll likely be the safest restaurant in town for the couple hours of the dinner! ;)

Yes, welcome Joseph!

Try to come tonight. I'll be OCing because that's all I do. My wife will likely be CCing or NCing.
Most others OC'ing with a few NC.

The dinners are great get togethers with good people.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
As a side note, if you want to really make your new M&P 45 nice, install the Apex Tactical DCAEK (Duty Carry Action Enhancement Kit) in it. Just don't use their trigger spring... instead use the stock OEM trigger spring. This setup will return a trigger with absolutely no grittiness in the pre-travel and a break which is very similar to a good 1911 with less over-travel. The trigger pull weight will come it at 5 pounds digitally measured. This is what I have on my M&P 45 4" barrel pistol and it is one sweet setup.

hammer6

Just OC'd in Wendy's on England St in Ashland

And you should have seen the people running! Lol NOT! Everyone noticed, and one guy, very polite and from the area, told what a nice gun I was wearing. He was a former lawyer and believes that everyone should be allowed to carry without a permit.

Good times. Now to the gas station to fill up.