• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yet another Bank teller going crazy.

arkluball

So as most of you seen the title, you probably already know what this is about. This was about a few weeks ago (I have yet been able to find much time to get online). And I went to my bank or well old bank, and went to deposit a a check for around 1,500 dollars from school, and walked in to Harris bank and was almost done with my deposit when the teller asked me: "Is that a real gun?" I looked at her and said yes, i would not carry a squirt gun in a holster around".. and she stated that it is illegal to carry fire arms in federal banks. Well From my understanding the bank was Private owned and what not so I was committing no crime since they did not have signs posted on there door. She went on blah blah talking about it and was asking other tellers. And it was just so embarrassing because half the bank people and customers where just staring at me. She asked me to remove it and place it in my car. I explained that the law states open carry is legal and this property is not owned or leased by government, and I am no where near a school and on top of that they did not have signs posted. She stated that the bank was Federal property. So Then I told her I had no problem leaving. But I would like to withdraw my saving and checking account all in Cash and then close the accounts with this bank. If you all could of seen her face, all she did was drop her Jaw. it was priceless. Not trying to gloat or anything but yeah. So considering I had over 90 k saved up from the military and deployment pay, she tried to talk me out of it by being nice after she just got done going on a rant (Didn't work). I got my money. went a 1/2 mile down the road and opened an account with Wellsfargo. Since then I have never had any problems with open carry in there bank.

Sorry for spelling and grammar errors. It is still very early for me.

Any input on how I should of handled this, feel free to drop a line.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
The only thing I have to say is that you shouldn't have gone with wells fargo either. They are foamous for rippingpeople off. Being military or former military, you should go with a a military creditunion/bank. Such as Navy Federal or USAA.

arkluball

I still bank with Navy fed. But due to it being so fay away (down in IL) I just use it for CC account and small IRA's and what not. Since I am not going to be driving over 100 miles to deposit money, I just use a local bank.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I still bank with Navy fed. But due to it being so fay away (down in IL) I just use it for CC account and small IRA's and what not. Since I am not going to be driving over 100 miles to deposit money, I just use a local bank.

That makes since. They do have CO Op though so you can make depostits through other banks. You can also do online deposits now.

arkluball

That makes since. They do have CO Op though so you can make depostits through other banks. You can also do online deposits now.

never heard of doing it that way. When it comes to money, I honestly prefer to drop it of at a branch so i know it gets there. Once in account, I can always wire or ACH it to my other accounts. I use to do that but As of right now I just use a local bank unless I am stashing money aside. Then i will send it to Navy Fed.

Although I did have one problem with navy fed one time, Missed a CC payment when I was in the field for 30 days. So it was about about a month late. And I had some girl who had to have been from the DC area where there main branch is, get on the line and talk to me like I am ghetto. it was the worst experience I have ever had with phone conversation. If they had a voice google translator.. I would have needed it.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
never heard of doing it that way. When it comes to money, I honestly prefer to drop it of at a branch so i know it gets there. Once in account, I can always wire or ACH it to my other accounts. I use to do that but As of right now I just use a local bank unless I am stashing money aside. Then i will send it to Navy Fed.

Although I did have one problem with navy fed one time, Missed a CC payment when I was in the field for 30 days. So it was about about a month late. And I had some girl who had to have been from the DC area where there main branch is, get on the line and talk to me like I am ghetto. it was the worst experience I have ever had with phone conversation. If they had a voice google translator.. I would have needed it.

I see what you're saying. I was just making a suggestions is. Yeah I have heard other people have problems from the DC branch. Yet everywhere else in the world has great costumer service. Anytime I here anything bad about Navyfed (witch is rare) it's about that DC Branch.

arkluball

I see what you're saying. I was just making a suggestions is. Yeah I have heard other people have problems from the DC branch. Yet everywhere else in the world has great costumer service. Anytime I here anything bad about Navyfed (witch is rare) it's about that DC Branch.

Yeah, not sure if you bank with them or not, but if you ever miss a credit card payment, get ready for the worst LOL.

Anyways yeah I thought I would share my run in with Harris bank.

You mentioned that wells fargo rips people off. what do you mean?

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Yeah, not sure if you bank with them or not, but if you ever miss a credit card payment, get ready for the worst LOL.

Anyways yeah I thought I would share my run in with Harris bank.

You mentioned that wells fargo rips people off. what do you mean?

Yes I do bank with Navyfed and I only was late on a payment once. I called them to let them know it was going to be late and thay were fine with it.

As far as wells fargo goes. My whole family use to bank with them growing up. The first thing that happened was when
My sister and I got student checking accounts. My Father owed money on is acoount and they took money out of my sisters and our accounts to cover my fathers. We ended up closing those. There was another time I had a savings account with them. When I got my first job at Subway, I went to cash my check and they would let me cash it with out my mom's signature. The last one was when my father ended business with a company he put a stop payment on his account. The next month they payed it anyways. He put a second stop payment in and they paid them again anyways. He payed for these stop payments too. This all caused my dad to go into overdraft. So my dad told them to close the account and he would pay them off. They wouldn't close it and let it collect negative interest for over a year. They finally sent it to collections. He then told the Collections agency he was going to get a lawyer and take it to court because he payed for two stop payments in a row and the bank still payed the money. The collections agency dicided to drop the case and not pursue my dad anymore. So those are my experiences. I've heard other stories from people as well. But hey if they work for you. More power to you.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

So considering I had over 90 k saved up from the military and deployment pay, she tried to talk me out of it by being nice after she just got done going on a rant (Didn't work). I got my money. went a 1/2 mile down the road and opened an account with Wellsfargo. Since then I have never had any problems with open carry in there bank.

There have been times I would have loved to be able to do the same thing. I do think asking for the branch manager would have been in order, even after you got your money. That particular teller may have been joining you on the sidewalk outside.:lol:

I have accounts at Wells Fargo. WF here has absolutely no problem with OC.:cool::cool:

tjkruck

So as most of you seen the title, you probably already know what this is about. This was about a few weeks ago (I have yet been able to find much time to get online). And I went to my bank or well old bank, and went to deposit a a check for around 1,500 dollars from school, and walked in to Harris bank and was almost done with my deposit when the teller asked me: "Is that a real gun?" I looked at her and said yes, i would not carry a squirt gun in a holster around".. and she stated that it is illegal to carry fire arms in federal banks. Well From my understanding the bank was Private owned and what not so I was committing no crime since they did not have signs posted on there door. She went on blah blah talking about it and was asking other tellers. And it was just so embarrassing because half the bank people and customers where just staring at me. She asked me to remove it and place it in my car. I explained that the law states open carry is legal and this property is not owned or leased by government, and I am no where near a school and on top of that they did not have signs posted. She stated that the bank was Federal property. So Then I told her I had no problem leaving. But I would like to withdraw my saving and checking account all in Cash and then close the accounts with this bank. If you all could of seen her face, all she did was drop her Jaw. it was priceless. Not trying to gloat or anything but yeah. So considering I had over 90 k saved up from the military and deployment pay, she tried to talk me out of it by being nice after she just got done going on a rant (Didn't work). I got my money. went a 1/2 mile down the road and opened an account with Wellsfargo. Since then I have never had any problems with open carry in there bank.

Hahahahahahahaha bet ya she felt like a fool :thumbup: although I am a little nervous to carry in a bank still anywhere else I do with confidence

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigdaddy1

Back to the original subject;
It would seem someone in the banking community is spreading falsehoods regarding banks and their relationship with the Federal Government. This could create unnecessary problems with other carriers in Wisconsin. Since I did not have first hand knowledge of the incident I would recommend you contact the bank president immediately and inform him or her of the situation and that their employees are grossly misinformed. This could turn into a dangerous precedent if it goes too far.

MKEgal

bc.cruiser said:
I do think asking for the branch manager would have been in order, even after you got your money.
I have accounts at Wells Fargo. WF here has absolutely no problem with OC.
Ditto on both.
Write the manager, & maybe corporate (cc the manager) explaining why they lost your money.

I opened an account @ WF while OC, I've been back to several branches OC, never had a problem.

VW_Factor

I feel bad for those who open an account at Wells Fargo. You couldn't pay me to bank with them.

(The company I work for banks with them, so we deal with them everyday, and it is such a .. Pain in the butt)

tjkruck

They try to say that because they are federally insured that they are then part of the government. It doesn't mean crap tho

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Riana

They try to say that because they are federally insured that they are then part of the government. It doesn't mean crap tho
True. I usually explain it as "This bank is Federal property, because it's insured by the FDIC - just like my car is USAA property because it's insured by USAA, right?"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Withdrawing $90K is a healthy sum of money. If in cash, it's quite bulky too or did they issue you a cashiers check?

Either way I don't know any bank that would do that on the approval of just a teller - such is w/o a doubt above their transaction/withdrawal limit. That means a bank officer got involved and allegedly did not set the record straight as to federal ownership and did not make things right with you. Strange.

You should handle this in any way you choose - it's your money. Would appreciate more insight/detail though - too many gaps for me to clearly get the picture.

To the poster(s) that referred to Wells Fargo:
Wells Fargo has gone a considerable distance to change the anti bias earned by the absorbed Wachovia banks. WF has been busy removing the gun buster type signs from all of their facilities - in fact that might be complete now. They have to my experience done a good job of educating their staff too.

msteinhilber

I would definitely take steps to inform the bank's upper management what the law is and not just leave it to the everyday bank staff as they are unlikely to give them a real answer without making you sound like a nut-case if they did get questioned by management as to why somebody withdrew such a large amount of money and closed their accounts out. It's easy to find a business that isn't 2A friendly or is misinformed such as in this case and simply choose to walk away - but real change won't come about until people who exercise their rights start to inform places they are losing business because of policies that are in place. In your case, obviously you have the right to do as you choose, but I probably would have taken it up with management and if they were equally misinformed and not willing to listen to you and research it further - then close out your accounts and say your goodbyes. That's precisely how I handled things with my former credit union, they posted so I communicated with their CEO and was able to get her to give me a call to talk things over. She was unwilling to work with the board of directors to have the policy changed so I walked away and took my business elsewhere. This way the CEO was able to recognize they lost business and heard it direct from myself rather than whatever story a normal staff member would come up with. I ended up taking my business to Associated Bank and have openly carried in several branches around the Madison area as well as in the Fox Valley area when I'm up there visiting family and have had no issues to speak of.

VW_Factor

To the poster(s) that referred to Wells Fargo:
Wells Fargo has gone a considerable distance to change the anti bias earned by the absorbed Wachovia banks. WF has been busy removing the gun buster type signs from all of their facilities - in fact that might be complete now. They have to my experience done a good job of educating their staff too.

Regardless of their views on 2A. The branches around these parts are pathetic. We are CONSTANTLY having to have them correct errors. We have them copy every check and MO we deposit now after they allowed a days worth of deposits to be stolen. (The story was, they loaded the bank bags with checks, and MOs into a personal vehicle out front. It was left running and unlocked out front while they loaded it. Someone stole the car while they did this. Wells Fargo actually had the nuts to call us and ask us to have our customers pay us A SECOND TIME, so they could go and collect the funds from the stolen checks, MOs).

That didn't go over very well. Needless to say, they somewhat made it right with the powers that be of who I work for. Still, I don't like banking with a bank who would do such a thing, not to mention all the corrections, and lack of tellers counting abilities.

Firearm friendly or not. No way would I ever give them my money for any reason.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Wells Fargo is the largest bank in the US by market capitalization, the second largest by deposits, home mortgages and debit cards, it is the fourth largest by assets and is one of the big four with J.P. Morgan-Chase, Banco d' Amico, and Citi.

Wells Fargo Investments/Advisors holds our retirement accounts. We bank locally at a friendly bank for cash transactions, otherwise everything is done electronically. Our WF accounts require telephone confirmation of orders.

Helorob

Big Brother wants to know.

So considering I had over 90 k saved up from the military and deployment pay, she tried to talk me out of it by being nice after she just got done going on a rant (Didn't work). I got my money.

I prefer cash transactions myself, but remember the paperwork that is REQUIRED for transactions in cash over $10,000.

http://www.fincen.gov/forms/files/fin104_ctr.pdf

Above is a link from the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, a division of the Treasury Dept. Form and Instructions provided for those that want to try this on their own. Managing any amount of cash (over $10K) requires some forsight and planning.

I've had no issues carrying in my local M&I Bank (now BMO Harris). But I really don't think anyone has noticed.