• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC-friendly places to visit near Woodstock/New Market

grylnsmn

My parents asked me to serve as their proxy for a timeshare HOA meeting this Saturday in Mt. Jackson. As part of that, I've taken Friday off (and they agreed to pay for a hotel room in the area) so I can take the wife and 1-year-old son along for an adventure.

I know about the New Market Battlefield, and we're hoping to visit, but I was looking for some other ideas.

Any good recommendations?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My parents asked me to serve as their proxy for a timeshare HOA meeting this Saturday in Mt. Jackson. As part of that, I've taken Friday off (and they agreed to pay for a hotel room in the area) so I can take the wife and 1-year-old son along for an adventure.

I know about the New Market Battlefield, and we're hoping to visit, but I was looking for some other ideas.

Any good recommendations?

You won't like Shenandoah, but your son might. Take him to Endless Caverns and the Battlefield. I was born literally next to the Battlefield. If you want to drive a half hour more, go to the Dayton Farmers Market and see the Mennonites.

blade10

Theres a small gun shop at the woodstock exit - go up 42 past walmart and the shop is on your right. They seem friendly every time I have been in there.

This site mentions a few of the other places that are somewhat neat - http://www.virginiawind.com/virginia_travel/woodstock.asp

Ive eaten at the Spring House several times - but not while open carrying so I dont know how tolerant they are. Decent food and good service.

I think the fire tower is in national forest - and definitely some of the routes that link mention are as well. As such, I have no idea if the fire tower would qualify as a federal building, or if you can even legally carry hiking up to it. Obviously IANAL and the legality is for you to determine.

Also, the ride on 675 is worth it. Nice scenery. (George Washington national Forest). As you go out Rt 675 (Edinburg Gap Road, near the jeep dealership at the north side of Edinburg) you will find terrific spring water crossing the mountain. Just take EGR towards Kings Crossing. You will pass a small garage called Toms Garage just before you go up the mountain. On the downside of the mountain is the spring. It will be on your left hand side with a PVC pipe sticking out from the mountain. Best, coldest water to be found in that neck of the woods, bar none.

Maybe others can chime in?

Blade