• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unofficial: NM will be dropping reciprocity with AZ

mrjam2jab

I would assume that it is:

Permits issued to resident aliens; (Arizona does issue to legal resident aliens)

No classroom (static) training required; (No formal training in Arizona is now required. You can use other safety training now. When I got my permit in-state training was required)

No live-fire (dynamic) training required. (No live firing in Arizona is now required. You can use other safety training now. When I got my permit in-state live fire was required)

It looks like Arizona has loosened the requirements some by eliminating in-state training and live firing to make it easier for some to obtain an Arizona CCW. The issue of Arizona issuing to legal resident non-citizens can be debated as other states have lost in this regard when taken to court. Bob.

But classroom and live fire are both still required. They did loosen it up in that you don't have to take it within the borders...but you do still have to have training. I don't see the issue. I have an AZ permit. I applied after the changes in 2010. I couldn't use a copy of my PA permit (#6) because no training was required to get it. I couldn't use a PA Hunter Safety Cert (#2) because it didn't include a live fire portion.

Looks like the only real issue is the alien thing.

The only issue possibly is the alien thing..

AZ: E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:
1. Is a resident of this state or a United States citizen.
2. Is twenty-one years of age or older.

NM: A. The department shall issue a concealed handgun license to an applicant who:
(1) is a citizen of the United States;
(2) is a resident of New Mexico or is a member of the armed forces whose permanent duty station is located in New Mexico or is a dependent of such a member

But that section didn't change with SB1108.

Last edited:

BobF

But classroom and live fire are both still required. They did loosen it up in that you don't have to take it within the borders...but you do still have to have training. I don't see the issue. I have an AZ permit. I applied after the changes in 2010. I couldn't use a copy of my PA permit (#6) because no training was required to get it. I couldn't use a PA Hunter Safety Cert (#2) because it didn't include a live fire portion.

Looks like the only real issue is the alien thing.

The only issue possibly is the alien thing..

AZ: E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:
1. Is a resident of this state or a United States citizen.
2. Is twenty-one years of age or older.

NM: A. The department shall issue a concealed handgun license to an applicant who:
(1) is a citizen of the United States;
(2) is a resident of New Mexico or is a member of the armed forces whose permanent duty station is located in New Mexico or is a dependent of such a member

But that section didn't change with SB1108.

Section N of the AZ requirements says:

An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

As far as I can see there is no live fire requirement, only safety training. That, and the alien thing, are what NM is arguing about. Bob.

Roy V

An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

As far as I can see there is no live fire requirement, only safety training. That, and the alien thing, are what NM is arguing about. Bob.

Completely agree- live fire training and resident alien are the issues NM has with AZ.

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

How do you demonstrate competence without actually firing?

My application experience was with Info given to me from AZDPS. They required it.

AH.74

I applied after the changes in 2010.

There was some uncertainty about what would be accepted right after constitutional carry went into effect. That's why I decided to play it safe and actually took a side-trip into AZ to do my training with an AZ instructor.

The changes doing away with the 8-hour classroom instruction and live fire occurred in 2011, not in 2010. I can't recall for sure but I believe it was in July. So- when you did yours in 2010, the old requirements were still in effect.

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

There was some uncertainty about what would be accepted right after constitutional carry went into effect. That's why I decided to play it safe and actually took a side-trip into AZ to do my training with an AZ instructor.

The changes doing away with the 8-hour classroom instruction and live fire occurred in 2011, not in 2010. I can't recall for sure but I believe it was in July. So- when you did yours in 2010, the old requirements were still in effect.

SB 1108 made that change...became effective July 29, 2010. ;)

AH.74

SB 1108 made that change...became effective July 29, 2010. ;)

I just got off the phone with them, and you are absolutely correct. For some reason the instructor I worked with in September 2010 chose to operate under the old requirements.

But what did change last year is that they phased out the instructor program. Maybe that is what they meant when I spoke with them last- because they did tell me earlier this year that changes had occurred in July of 2011.

Thanks for getting me straightened out on that, I like to have proper information.

Sonora Rebel

Looks like the wife and I may have to get a VA non resident CCW.... or something else. We often travel thru New Mexico. Oh well... we OC 90% anyway.

rushcreek2

New Mexico has seemed to be inclined towards a disposition to stay "outside of the loop" on CCW reciprocity - not unlike Colorado. Texas seems to be the most reciprocity- friendly state.

I don't spend much dinero in NM anyway while traveling back & forth from Texas. The Mc D in Raton is about the extent of my investment in the NM economy. Seems like every time I turn around NM is having an "issue" with some other state's CCW.

randian

Texas seems to be the most reciprocity- friendly state.
If you want the license with the best out of state use, get Michigan's. Practically everybody honors their license. Unfortunately they don't issue non-resident licenses. Utah, Alaska, Tennessee, and Arizona (but sadly not Texas) honor all other state's licenses.

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

If you want the license with the best out of state use, get Michigan's. Practically everybody honors their license. Unfortunately they don't issue non-resident licenses. Utah, Alaska, Tennessee, and Arizona (but sadly not Texas) honor all other state's licenses.

MO also honors all other states CC licenses.

Honors all other states: AK, AZ, IA, ID, IN, KY, MI*, MO, NC, OK, SD, TN, UT

New Mexico has seemed to be inclined towards a disposition to stay "outside of the loop" on CCW reciprocity - not unlike Colorado. Texas seems to be the most reciprocity- friendly state.

I don't spend much dinero in NM anyway while traveling back & forth from Texas. The Mc D in Raton is about the extent of my investment in the NM economy. Seems like every time I turn around NM is having an "issue" with some other state's CCW.

NM has lots of issues...

AZ didn't go for his Highness in 2008...
SB1070 doesn't sit well with their pro-criminalien stance...
The state capitol is drowning in libtards...

NM is pretty much a useless state as far as I'm concerned -- I'd love to give it back to Mexico.

acmariner99

New Mexico seems to be taking several steps back in regards to 2A rights. I would be inclined to think that they are not Gold Star anymore simply because OC is highly restricted by the "can't go there, there, there, or there" mentality. Carry in your car is fine - but anywhere else you have to be careful. And with NM canning reciprocity - it puts travelers in a bind and its expensive to get a CWP for residents. Sorry New Mexico, I thought you were better than this.

Super Saiyan

Sonora Rebel

It's all about da munny! the dude who wrote that non-reciprocity piece must'a been taken to the woodshed. ("WTF ARE YOU DOING?")