• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question About CWP

Private1

Hi, this will be my first post and I needed to get some advice from others who have lived in Tn longer than I have. I grew up in Va and still have many law enforcement friends there. I am an ex corrections officer, bail bondsman, and P.I. I have looked into get a non resident Virginia CWP instead of a Tn one because Va is accepted in more states and is quite easier for me to get. I am disabled and cant sit thru the 8 hours courses again. Where I have worked in the fields in my past it will be no problem what so ever to get the Va. permit but I am afraid it would not be advisable since I now live in Tn. I have taken many gun classes in the past but as I have stated cant sit thru 8 hour classes now because of my back problems. Does anyone here know if there would be a problem with me just getting my Va. CWP and using it while I live in Tn.

Thanks

Private1

Thanks, but I think I found what I was looking for!

I will put this on here in case anyone else might find this information helpful. Va. Non-resident CWP's are accepted in the following states, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia. The following states that accept Va. resident CWP's that won't accept non-resident CWP's are Florida, Michigan,Utah, and Vermont.

Fallguy

TN honors ALL other state's permits, whether non-resident or not.

But if you are a resident of TN, you must get a TN permit.

A TN permit is honored in all states that honor other state's permits, except Maine.

Last edited:

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1351(r)(3)(B) ("If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, the person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. . . . if during the six-month period the person applies for a handgun permit in this state and the application is denied, the person shall not be allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state's permit.") strongly implies that a Tennessee resident cannot use another state's permit except during the 6-month period following the person's establishment of residency in Tennessee.