Thread: So my friend wants to buy a gun...

So my friend wants to buy a gun...

I have a shipmate I know pretty well. He's been thinking that he'd like to have a gun with the recent crime spree in his neighborhood. He just wants to protect himself and his family.

Here's the catch, he's Arab.

He's an American citizen in his mid 40's who's never been in trouble with the law. He's honest and responsible. He's open and easy going. Frankly, as well as I know him, he's the kind of guy I want to have a gun. He's just worried that being Arab would make it very difficult for him.

I advised him that he should get a CPL first so that he can show that he's ok when he tries to make a purchase. I also suggested he take a course to learn how to use his firearm properly and safely.

So here's my questions:

1. Being he lives in Tacoma, where should he go that he'll have a good shot at getting treated fairly when shopping for a gun?

2. Where is a good course for a beginner?

3. What are some good ways for him to keep his firearm accessible in the house but out of the hands of his children.

4. Was I right in suggesting he get a CPL first?

Thanks

Yes. He should apply today and get his CPL IN 30 days.

I have a beginners handgun class for $80 at Champion Arms in Kent. Book now as classes are very full.

He will be treated fairly by my staff.
    Live Free or Die!

Being Arab should not not stop him from getting a firearm. He is serving our country and an American Citizen. If others have problems they can go kick sand. As long as he's following the laws, then no one has anything to worry about. If anything that should be more reason for him to have one to protect his family and himself from ignorant people who like to judge and profile people. GoGodawgs has a really good and friendly staff. a couple of his employees are members of this forum, so they will be a big help.

Thanks, I'll definitely pass that on to him. Even if he chooses not to go in, he'll have the choice.

I'll definitely be taking a trip up to Champion Arms the next time I'm off the ship myself.

Edit: I just gave him the address and phone number. He's happy now. I think mostly because he's not being treat with suspicion.
    Last edited by Levi; 04-10-2012 at 07:15 PM.

The Marksman in Puyallup does military discounts on Glock, XD, Smith 1911 and j frames. He can get a brand new Glock for $400. And before anyone says they are not OC friendly I will reiterate. I have never, I say again, never had a problem there and will continue to buy from them. I have always been treated with the utmost respect.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Another one that is closer to you, and will treat you well is Mary's Pistols in Tacoma.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Regular Member WinchesterModel12's Avatar
    Any gunshop should work just fine.
    If they discriminate against him just let us know which shop to not buy from.
    If guns kill people......then all of mine are defective........ UNCLE TED

Bullseye is where the wife and I have purchased both our Sig's. The range upstairs also have a good selection of pistols for rent if your friend wants to try out a variety.

I understand how he may feel of not being sure or secure in the fact he is a U.S. Citizen and needs to be supported to stand up for his rights as such.
    I would have or even suggest someone go with him for moral support and purchase a gun of his choice before obtaining his CPL.
    Though it is good to maintain a CPL as we all know has benefits, but not a requirement to purchase a firearm.
    Last edited by BigDave; 04-10-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    Another one that is closer to you, and will treat you well is Mary's Pistols in Tacoma.
    Just don't wear saggy pants...

Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Red face

Thanks guys for all the good responses. It's really helped Mo(short for Mohamed, I wish they'd get more names for boys) feel better. Not just about getting a gun, but about being an American. What ever his final choice is, I'm glad he feel he has one. I could talk to him all day but having your posts to show him has really boosted him.

FTR, I'm a merchant seaman, not in the Navy. This ship does runs between Tacoma and Anchorage; taking produce and building materials up and seafood down. I'm the ship electrician and Mo is the Wiper(engine room janitor).

Surplus Guns and Ammo in Lakewood has better deals than Mary's Pistols, and the service is much better.
    "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Thanks guys for all the good responses. It's really helped Mo(short for Mohamed, I wish they'd get more names for boys) feel better. Not just about getting a gun, but about being an American. What ever his final choice is, I'm glad he feel he has one. I could talk to him all day but having your posts to show him has really boosted him.

FTR, I'm a merchant seaman, not in the Navy. This ship does runs between Tacoma and Anchorage; taking produce and building materials up and seafood down. I'm the ship electrician and Mo is the Wiper(engine room janitor).
    If you or Mo stop in Bellingham on the way up North let me know, PM me for my phone number. We'll have coffee, or something else if he doesn't drink coffee, sometimes it eases the transition to gun ownership by being around other gun owners, especially those of us who OC regularly.

Ones ethnic background makes no difference in the human fundamental right to be armed. My Dont Birk me shirt was made by a very lovely muslim lady downtown I have a thread on it somewhere here and she had no problem with me OC'ing.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

FYI, Mohamed is the most given name in the world. Even more than John. They have a variety of names for males.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    If you or Mo stop in Bellingham on the way up North let me know, PM me for my phone number. We'll have coffee, or something else if he doesn't drink coffee, sometimes it eases the transition to gun ownership by being around other gun owners, especially those of us who OC regularly.
    I'd love to catch up with you. I finish this contract in a month.

Banned
    A silly post

I'd like to suggest that you take your friend to several gun shops and ranges. Take your time, shoot several different guns, meet lots of people. He'll get to see that we're not a bunch of racist rednecks, and he'll get a feel for what he likes in a handgun. It's cheaper to rent several guns and then buy the right one the first time. Besides, it's going to cost more than he probably thinks anyway. Ammo, targets, cleaning kit, accessories, a safe, more guns...

[QUOTE=Levi;1735735].

Tell him to start referring to himself as an American, he is a citizen and thus an American. I don't ever refer to myself as Scotch or Welsh. He should go buy 10 guns if he likes his ethnicity has nothing to do with it. Your friend making a big deal out of it is what may cause him problems. Just to be perfectly clear here I am proud of my heritage and he should be too its just that it has nothing to do with being an American IMHO.
    Last edited by Jeff Hayes; 04-11-2012 at 11:11 AM.

[QUOTE=Orphan;1736031]

Tell him to start referring to himself as an American, he is a citizen and thus an American. I don't ever refer to myself as Scotch or Welsh. He should go buy 10 guns if he likes his ethnicity has nothing to do with it. Your friend making a big deal out of it is what may cause him problems. Just to be perfectly clear here I am proud of my heritage and he should be too its just that it has nothing to do with being an American IMHO.
    Probably one of the best responses yet

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    Just don't wear saggy pants...

You beat me to it
    I rather like that policy though I must say.
    Last edited by tombrewster421; 04-11-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

[QUOTE=Orphan;1736031]

Great post!
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

[QUOTE=Orphan;1736031]

Great post Orphan.
    Live Free or Die!

I am also a US citizen, of foreign birth. I also tan really well in the summer...never had a problem.

Have Mo go to the Pierce Co Sheriff's office and apply for his CPL. After that, all is the simplicity of having the $$$.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    If you guys are in port Saturday 4/14 come on up to Federal Way and meet with a bunch of us.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...in-Federal-Way
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson