• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So my friend wants to buy a gun...

Levi

I have a shipmate I know pretty well. He's been thinking that he'd like to have a gun with the recent crime spree in his neighborhood. He just wants to protect himself and his family.

Here's the catch, he's Arab.

He's an American citizen in his mid 40's who's never been in trouble with the law. He's honest and responsible. He's open and easy going. Frankly, as well as I know him, he's the kind of guy I want to have a gun. He's just worried that being Arab would make it very difficult for him.

I advised him that he should get a CPL first so that he can show that he's ok when he tries to make a purchase. I also suggested he take a course to learn how to use his firearm properly and safely.

So here's my questions:

1. Being he lives in Tacoma, where should he go that he'll have a good shot at getting treated fairly when shopping for a gun?

2. Where is a good course for a beginner?

3. What are some good ways for him to keep his firearm accessible in the house but out of the hands of his children.

4. Was I right in suggesting he get a CPL first?

Thanks

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Yes. He should apply today and get his CPL IN 30 days.

I have a beginners handgun class for $80 at Champion Arms in Kent. Book now as classes are very full.

He will be treated fairly by my staff.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Being Arab should not not stop him from getting a firearm. He is serving our country and an American Citizen. If others have problems they can go kick sand. As long as he's following the laws, then no one has anything to worry about. If anything that should be more reason for him to have one to protect his family and himself from ignorant people who like to judge and profile people. GoGodawgs has a really good and friendly staff. a couple of his employees are members of this forum, so they will be a big help.

Levi

Thanks, I'll definitely pass that on to him. Even if he chooses not to go in, he'll have the choice.

I'll definitely be taking a trip up to Champion Arms the next time I'm off the ship myself. :)

Edit: I just gave him the address and phone number. He's happy now. I think mostly because he's not being treat with suspicion.

Last edited:

decklin

The Marksman in Puyallup does military discounts on Glock, XD, Smith 1911 and j frames. He can get a brand new Glock for $400. And before anyone says they are not OC friendly I will reiterate. I have never, I say again, never had a problem there and will continue to buy from them. I have always been treated with the utmost respect.

Vitaeus

Bullseye is where the wife and I have purchased both our Sig's. The range upstairs also have a good selection of pistols for rent if your friend wants to try out a variety.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I understand how he may feel of not being sure or secure in the fact he is a U.S. Citizen and needs to be supported to stand up for his rights as such.
I would have or even suggest someone go with him for moral support and purchase a gun of his choice before obtaining his CPL.
Though it is good to maintain a CPL as we all know has benefits, but not a requirement to purchase a firearm.

Last edited:

Levi

Thanks guys for all the good responses. It's really helped Mo(short for Mohamed, I wish they'd get more names for boys) feel better. Not just about getting a gun, but about being an American. What ever his final choice is, I'm glad he feel he has one. I could talk to him all day but having your posts to show him has really boosted him.

FTR, I'm a merchant seaman, not in the Navy. This ship does runs between Tacoma and Anchorage; taking produce and building materials up and seafood down. I'm the ship electrician and Mo is the Wiper(engine room janitor).

Tacitus42

Surplus Guns and Ammo in Lakewood has better deals than Mary's Pistols, and the service is much better.

sudden valley gunner

Thanks guys for all the good responses. It's really helped Mo(short for Mohamed, I wish they'd get more names for boys) feel better. Not just about getting a gun, but about being an American. What ever his final choice is, I'm glad he feel he has one. I could talk to him all day but having your posts to show him has really boosted him.

FTR, I'm a merchant seaman, not in the Navy. This ship does runs between Tacoma and Anchorage; taking produce and building materials up and seafood down. I'm the ship electrician and Mo is the Wiper(engine room janitor).

If you or Mo stop in Bellingham on the way up North let me know, PM me for my phone number. We'll have coffee, or something else if he doesn't drink coffee, sometimes it eases the transition to gun ownership by being around other gun owners, especially those of us who OC regularly.

Ones ethnic background makes no difference in the human fundamental right to be armed. My Dont Birk me shirt was made by a very lovely muslim lady downtown I have a thread on it somewhere here and she had no problem with me OC'ing.

decklin

FYI, Mohamed is the most given name in the world. Even more than John. They have a variety of names for males.

Levi

If you or Mo stop in Bellingham on the way up North let me know, PM me for my phone number. We'll have coffee, or something else if he doesn't drink coffee, sometimes it eases the transition to gun ownership by being around other gun owners, especially those of us who OC regularly.

I'd love to catch up with you. I finish this contract in a month.

Flopsweat

I'd like to suggest that you take your friend to several gun shops and ranges. Take your time, shoot several different guns, meet lots of people. He'll get to see that we're not a bunch of racist rednecks, and he'll get a feel for what he likes in a handgun. It's cheaper to rent several guns and then buy the right one the first time. Besides, it's going to cost more than he probably thinks anyway. Ammo, targets, cleaning kit, accessories, a safe, more guns... :D

Jeff Hayes

Tell him to start referring to himself as an American, he is a citizen and thus an American. I don't ever refer to myself as Scotch or Welsh. He should go buy 10 guns if he likes his ethnicity has nothing to do with it. Your friend making a big deal out of it is what may cause him problems. Just to be perfectly clear here I am proud of my heritage and he should be too its just that it has nothing to do with being an American IMHO.

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

Tell him to start referring to himself as an American, he is a citizen and thus an American. I don't ever refer to myself as Scotch or Welsh. He should go buy 10 guns if he likes his ethnicity has nothing to do with it. Your friend making a big deal out of it is what may cause him problems. Just to be perfectly clear here I am proud of my heritage and he should be too its just that it has nothing to do with being an American IMHO.

Probably one of the best responses yet