• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shell gas station and McDonalds

ArmySoldier22

OC'ed on the way home from work and stopped at a shell station to fill up the bike. The gas station is also connected to a McDonalds. Neither one is posted, and I've carried in both many times. Tonight the lady working there, who's been there many times I've been there, told me that I wasn't allowed to carry. I told her there were no signs posted on the building, and she said "McDonalds doesn't allow you to carry". I've carried in a few different McDonalds besides this one and I've never had any problems. Same goes for shell gas stations. So I'm getting the feeling that this employee is full of ****.

Last edited:

ArmySoldier22

"Fine...I'll go buy my gas some where else!"

Pretty much, there's another gas stationed within eyesight down the street, and another one about the same distance down from that. So it's not like it's much of an inconvenience, it was just the best one out of the 3. Just kinda surprising that this has become an issue when I've been going there for almost a year now.

tjkruck

this is becoming a common problem, the company that owns the store probably does not ban firearms and i know mcdonalds does not ban firearms. its just another employee shouting words out their mouth because they do not know the rules of there employer or they just are that uncomfortable around firearms. 100% sure mcdonalds does not ban firearms because i know people higher up in managment in that company and have carried there while they were there and i have yet to see a fuel station where they ban firearms granted i do live in a different state, but why would they, i guess you could always just pay at the pump lol technically you are not inside the building

Carry24/7

I have seen 1 McDonald's posted here in Belmont, NC. I called the owner and she stated its posted to protect the employees. LOL

ncwabbit

the dixon group out of greenville which owns multiple mcdonalds has insisted on putting up very small and hard to read signs on the doors of their stores...

wabbit

Northerner

Wilson, NC McDonalds has a somewhat clear'ish and red colored circular label on the door that is at waist to crotch height. At that angle you see it while walking in, if you see it, the red clear background blends in with the red McDonald's floor. VERY hard to read. You end up staring at the sign trying to read it, while people wonder what you are doing. Anyway, it has a pistol with a ghostbuster and words stating "No Concealed Carry other than Law Enforcement." ....Not an issue for OC, but really, who is going to know if I legally CC. It would only be a misdemeanor trespass, after they saw my concealed gun......ahhhh yeah.... about that. Ridiculous!

aosailor

Not an issue for OC, but really, who is going to know if I legally CC. It would only be a misdemeanor trespass, after they saw my concealed gun......ahhhh yeah.... about that. Ridiculous!

I see this all the time and it kinda irks me... maybe I'm weird this way, but when someone knowingly breaks the law by carrying concealed into a place that is off limits to concealed weapons, you are no longer "legally CCing" you are breaking the law. Just my opinion, and now I'm stepping off the soap box

Northerner

I see this all the time and it kinda irks me... maybe I'm weird this way, but when someone knowingly breaks the law by carrying concealed into a place that is off limits to concealed weapons, you are no longer "legally CCing" you are breaking the law. Just my opinion, and now I'm stepping off the soap box

Let me be clear, I understand the difference between NC concealed carry "legal" and "illegal."

In the context of this scenario; McDonalds, it's not illegal if, with a valid CHP, I choose to carry CC. This is where it would only be a trespass charge IF it was known I was carrying AND I was ask to leave AND I did not leave. No gun charge, more of a moral and ethical issue. You may have mistaken my original statement as a blanket approach to my CCing in places where it is illegal by State Statute/Law. Obviously, I would not condone CCing in those places listed via the Statute i.e., restaurants that sell and consume alcohol, a prison, a Federal Building, k-12 school, places of admission, funerals, etc. etc. etc.

By the way, former NAVY AOAC VP5, NASJAX

smlawrence

Let me be clear, I understand the difference between NC concealed carry "legal" and "illegal."

In the context of this scenario; McDonalds, it's not illegal if, with a valid CHP, I choose to carry CC. This is where it would only be a trespass charge IF it was known I was carrying AND I was ask to leave AND I did not leave. No gun charge, more of a moral and ethical issue. You may have mistaken my original statement as a blanket approach to my CCing in places where it is illegal by State Statute/Law. Obviously, I would not condone CCing in those places listed via the Statute i.e., restaurants that sell and consume alcohol, a prison, a Federal Building, k-12 school, places of admission, funerals, etc. etc. etc.

By the way, former NAVY AOAC VP5, NASJAX

He probably read it the same as I did. Is it legal or illegal to CC inside of a business that has it posted "No Concealed Carry Allowed"?

P.S. Thank you and all who have or are still serving for your service.

sawah

I'd be tempted to say 'Do you really think that there aren't any people in this store right now with firearms on them, some legally, some not? You need a person who is law-abiding like myself in there just to protect you from the illegal gun carriers'. You know, sow the seeds of FUD. :)

Of course, in reality, I'd have said 'OK, where's the closest Burger King - I'll tell all my gun-toting law-abiding friends not to come here either'.

carolina guy

He probably read it the same as I did. Is it legal or illegal to CC inside of a business that has it posted "No Concealed Carry Allowed"?

P.S. Thank you and all who have or are still serving for your service.

§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
<snip>
(c) Except as provided in G.S. 14‑415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
<snip>
(8) On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.​

I suppose it depends on the sign...was it really as hard to see and read? If so, I think it fails the "conspicuous" portion...and if the employee was not a manager in charge, it doubt that they had "possession or control" of the premises.

I guess it also begs the question if the McDonalds portion can dictate to the gas station portion without it being in the lease. My guess would be the that the actual owner of the property might have a slightly different take on allowing armed gas station customers than the owner of the McDonald's. Would certainly seem worth asking for the Manager instead of taking the word of an employee---a police officer would certainly be asking to speak with the manager before doing anything.

IANAL and IANAC. :)

dadpharm

Hi guys I live in Greenville s.c. and daughter in High Point. I would like to open carry when visiting but am a bit nervous. If anyone is willing to meet sometime let me know.We should be there early sept for visit. Tx dadpharm

carolina guy

Nah, it's on 73 directly off of I-85 "Exit 55". I haven't been back there since

Sounds like I will have to go fill up there this weekend. :) Since it is a Shell, I think they do fuel perks...so I will go save some $$ and see if the same ninny comes out.

What time of the day was it when you were there?

ncwabbit

oc'd at the Goldsboro's combined gas station and McDonalds today, as i have in the past and nobody batted an eye...well the obese woman spit her drink out her nose when she saw my gun :eek:, but otherwise nobody cared...

wabbit